Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sensory integration ideas

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:28 pm
Hi,
I think that my dd would benefit from sensory integration. We bought an indoor swing that will hopefully come on Monday. My dd loves tight hugs, being sat on LOL.... she also puts stuff in her mouth.... My dh said that he would love a weighted blanket as well Smile Does anyone have experience with a weighted blanket for children OR adults. Do you know where to get it for cheaper than the usual online OT stores, any easy DIY options. Any other suggestions that have helped you or your children?
Thanks!

relish

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:30 pm
Check out etsy. I've seen something like that there

teddyb

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:54 pm
have you read "the out of sync child" and "the out of sync child has fun." (both written by Carol Stock Kranowitz)
the first explains alot about sensory. the second has lots and lots of different activities for different ages and different needs. You should be able to find lots of ideas there.

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:40 pm
ahhh the weighted blanket Smile
I once asked my dentist if he could get me one of those lead aprons they use during xrays for my sensory kid to sleep with. dentist thought I was pretty weird.
but a relatively easy DIY fix is to buy drapery weights, I think they come either in a chain or individual disks, look for them in fabric or upholstery stores. or google. you can sew them between two blankets. or into shirt hems. they arent as heavy as the blankets the therapists have, but my kid liked it. this kid is a bit older (8) now and he weights his own clothing with rocks. he likes collecting rocks and when I asked him why he keeps them in his pockets he said he likes his clothes heavy. whatever works I guess.
he really likes stress balls too.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:00 am
op here- LOL granolamom- when I mentioned it to my dh he googled iron bib- when I asked him why he said that's what dentists use when they give you x-rays and it feels so good Smile I told him to look up weighted blankets for sensory, probably will be a little cheaper Smile
thanks for the drapery weights idea. My dc just turned 5. How old was your kid when you did it?

granolamom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:42 pm
mine was about 2 yo when we did the drapery weights in the blanket

studying_torah

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:44 pm
Where do u find good stress balls- not the ones w the tiny beads inside, more like the soft foam ones?

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 12:22 am
All the ones I have were given out by some company or another as advertising. I have one from a cable company (we don't have cable. The guy gave us a stressball and a business card. Thank you!) one from some educational textbook company (at a book fair), etc. Be warned that your oral stimmers may bite hazardous pieces out of them... just don't ask why I know Wink

studying_torah

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 12:27 am
Yup one of mine does but at least no beads

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 12:29 am
Well there's always starch/flour in a balloon... balloons are also dangerous to chomp, but they must not be as appealing because my LO can keep that one out of her mouth for the most part, I think. And once you get a mouthful of flour I guess it probably loses even more appeal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics