Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher bbq sauce- no fish, no corn syrup

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:31 pm
Looking for a good tomato based thick bbq sauce w/o fish or corn syrup. Good blend of tang, smoke and some spiciness. So many brands are full of corn syrup or have Worcester sauce which has fish.
I used to use Bulls eye , until I saw it was loaded w corn syrup. Then I bought one type of Stubbs that had no corn syrup but since Pessach the hechsher (ou) on it is gone Sad
So I need an easily found replacement!
Wish I had time to make my own but I don't!

SorGold

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:35 pm
We like "bone suckin sauce" (not the typical thick heavy sauce but its yummy) Or nathans ( more tomatoey and smokey but not so swèet)

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:38 pm
Love bone suckin but it's very sweet

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:42 pm
KC Masterpiece Original is my favourite. A well-balanced, not too acidic, not too sweet, very good but not artificially or overwhelming smokiness. Lovely and thick. If you want tomatoey, you can blend in a tablespoon or so of tomato concentrate that comes in a tube.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:44 pm
Yes it's good but has corn syrup Which I'm trying to stay away from nowadays Sad

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:45 pm
If I do make my own eventually- what do I replace Worcestershire sauce with? Oh and so many recipes call for chipotles in adobo sauce but I can't find a kosher version of this ingredient- help!

thanks

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:26 pm
Look for products made in Israel. Many times they have sugar not corn syrup. (e.g. Osem Ketchup) Don't know of any specific one.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:30 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
KC Masterpiece Original is my favourite. A well-balanced, not too acidic, not too sweet, very good but not artificially or overwhelming smokiness. Lovely and thick. If you want tomatoey, you can blend in a tablespoon or so of tomato concentrate that comes in a tube.

My favorite too!

Not sure if it doesn't have corn syrup though, I can check

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:32 pm
OP, do you have time to throw 5 ingredients in a 1 quart saucepan and stir for 10 minutes?

Or maybe just stir together and see if it can taste ok without cooking

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:36 pm
The simplest recipe is this.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....71501
Use it as your base and if you want more smokey flavor get some liquid smoke or hickory smoked paprika or hickory smoked garlic powder, whatever floats your boat

ally

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 6:46 am
This is the most amazing homemade bbq sauce although it's not smokey. I guess you could add a bit of liquid smoke. It's kind of an expensive recipe but it makes a lot at one time, so you can freeze it and use as needed.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....stic/

little_mage

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 8:18 am
studying_torah wrote:
If I do make my own eventually- what do I replace Worcestershire sauce with? Oh and so many recipes call for chipotles in adobo sauce but I can't find a kosher version of this ingredient- help!

The goya chipoltes in adobo are kosher. I haven't purhased in a while, because I was getting them from amazon and one can lasts a long time, but I don't see why they aren't still.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006....._page

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:01 am
Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has a recipe for the BEST BBQ sauce. It combines the three kinds - Chinese, tomato based and North Carolina mustard/vinegar. It's very easy to make because except for chopping some onions, you are essentially just dumping the ingredients into the pan to simmer.

There is kosher Worcestershire sauce as well as kosher Hoisin sauce available.

Barefoot Contessa Barbecue Sauce

For the Barbecue Sauce:
\
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup tomato paste (10 ounces)
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup honey
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

In a large saucepan on low heat, sauté the onions and garlic with the vegetable oil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned. Add the tomato paste, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.

mazal555

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:38 am
Trader Joe's has some good ones without corn syrup. Are you near a TJs?

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 11:23 am
Amarante wrote:
Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has a recipe for the BEST BBQ sauce. It combines the three kinds - Chinese, tomato based and North Carolina mustard/vinegar. It's very easy to make because except for chopping some onions, you are essentially just dumping the ingredients into the pan to simmer.

For the Barbecue Sauce:
\
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup honey
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce

In a large saucepan on low heat, sauté the onions and garlic with the vegetable oil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned. Add the tomato paste, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.

I have only found 2 types of Worcestershire sauce - OU Fish or fully loaded with HFCS.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 11:41 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I have only found 2 types of Worcestershire sauce - OU Fish or fully loaded with HFCS.

Heinz Worcestershire sauce is not OU "Fish" and I wouldn't describe it as loaded with HFCS. It's one of the ingredients but it's down the list after molasses so the percentage of it would be fairly small especially since most people don't use it in huge quantities. With commercial BBQ sauce made with HFCS, it is generally the second ingredient which means that it is one of the main ingredients in a product.

Of course it's a personal decision but in general people don't eat enough Worcestershire sauce in a serving of anything to be significant - of course some people are on a continuum of how they approach questionable foods.

ally

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:02 pm
Amarante wrote:

For the Barbecue Sauce:
\
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup honey
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce

Great minds think alike - the smittenkitchen recipe I posted is taken from this Ina Garten recipe. So I will second how good it is.
I actually skip the Worcestershire and just add a bit of extra soy. It still tastes good.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:05 pm
I love the Smitten Kitchen recipes :-) There is one my friend just recommended - the baked chickpeas which is kind of like Mediterranean Nachos. She said it was insanely good.

I like this BBQ sauce so much I will sometimes have a baked potato for lunch with the sauce as the "topping" with some green salad on the side.

ETA - I also don't use 1/2 cup of oil to sauté the onions. I just use a small amount of olive oil and watch the onions carefully on a low flame so that they don't burn.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

studying_torah

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:09 pm
Love smitten kitchen too but no one likes mustard here and I don't care for soy sauce really Sad

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:11 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Love smitten kitchen too but no one likes mustard here and I don't care for soy sauce really Sad

Not to push it on you as I don't receive a commission. Very Happy

I'm not a fan of the Carolina mustard based BBQ sauces myself but there isn't a pronounced flavor of any of the ingredients so I wouldn't describe the end product as being strongly mustard flavored.

On the other hand, there are way too many wonderful recipes in the world to make something that contains ingredients or whatever that aren't to your taste.

If I cooked a different recipe every day for the rest of my life, I would still never get to make all the recipes I would love to try Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen