Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Spaced out food mistakes

nywife

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:40 pm
So tonight I was made challah and as usual I sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on the top and baked it. As I was taking it out of the oven I noticed it looked inter-estingg, the top of the challah was red and it smelled different. Turns out, I used paprika instead of cinnamon! LOL I dont want to see embarrassed Thankfully, I had made enough dough to bake a new batch.

What are some cooking mistakes you made while distracted?

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:42 pm
I don't see why you couldn't eat challah topped with paprika. It isn't cayenne pepper.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:46 pm
This thread title made me think of a favorite cartoon, a Beetle Bailey wherein Cookie makes Hawaiian Lasagna. Which I googled, hoping to find it and post the cartoon here. Instead my sole hit was
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....38343 Tongue Out

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:47 pm
Never can keep track of how many cups of dry ingredients I already put in- even if I count aloud... 😳

nywife

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:48 pm
zaq wrote:
I don't see why you couldn't eat challah topped with paprika. It isn't cayenne pepper.

I suppose you're right. They just look and smell very odd and we're having company...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:57 pm
I made two absolutely gorgeous pumpkin pies. They looked perfect.

DD is a picky eater, so when she complained about the first bite and said it tasted weird, I didn't think much about it. Then I tried a bite…. shock Puke

It was SO gross! I'd forgotten to put sugar in it. Confused

I cut the pie into slices, dried it in the oven on low, and made dog treats out of them. At least the dogs thought they were yummy!

Chickpea

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:09 pm
I was boiling a very expensive corned beef in a pot. When it was half done I turned it over and noticed what looked like a diaper attached to it. shock Yikes! I never removed the liner pad that meat rests on when it comes packaged at the butcher.
Normally I rinse meat before preparing it but in this case I didn't because I didn't want to rinse away all the pickling spice.
You can rest be assured I'm now more careful when preparing food.
ETA: I told the butcher what I had done and they said that pad is actually called a diaper.

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I made two absolutely gorgeous pumpkin pies. They looked perfect.

DD is a picky eater, so when she complained about the first bite and said it tasted weird, I didn't think much about it. Then I tried a bite…. shock Puke

It was SO gross! I'd forgotten to put sugar in it. Confused

I cut the pie into slices, dried it in the oven on low, and made dog treats out of them. At least the dogs thought they were yummy!

I've done that too! we had ours drizzled with maple syrup, but I'm sure my dog would've loved it the way it was.

smss

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:24 pm
nywife wrote:
So tonight I was made challah and as usual I sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on the top and baked it. As I was taking it out of the oven I noticed it looked inter-estingg, the top of the challah was red and it smelled different. Turns out, I used paprika instead of cinnamon! LOL I dont want to see embarrassed Thankfully, I had made enough dough to bake a new batch.

What are some cooking mistakes you made while distracted?

I did the opposite....put cinnamon in my cholent instead of paprika Smile

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:30 pm
Put turmeric in my milky tea instead of cardamom.

thinkermother

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:33 pm
Put egg shells in the batter!

zohar

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:45 am
My SisIL's mom is one of those put together "perfect" supermoms. Once, she wanted she wanted strain her soup, so she put the strainer in the sink, and poured her soup straight down the drain!

little_mage

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 6:06 am
Was making scrambled eggs and oatmeal at the same time, and poured the oatmeal grains into the pan of eggs...
And of course, that doesn't count the number of times I look down at my pot, think, "hmm, why isn't this cooking," only to realize that I haven't turned the burner on!

imasoftov

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 11:01 am
Then there are the sort of brownies that one gets spaced out after eating. Anon posting is disabled in this forum so I will just add that of course I have never made or eaten them.

smss

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:29 pm
sequoia wrote:
Put turmeric in my milky tea instead of cardamom.

but that's an actual drink!

http://wellnessmama.com/223/tu.....cipe/

sequoia

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:40 pm
smss wrote:
but that's an actual drink!

http://wellnessmama.com/223/tu.....cipe/

Wow thanks! Looks good Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics