Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos Table

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:11 am
What do you do at your Shabbos table to make the meal exciting? How do you get the kids to feel like active participants?

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:16 am
Following

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:26 am
My husband shares an interesting story with the children, using gestures and funny voices. They story is either related to the parshah or about tzaddikim of the past generations. The children then describe how they think it's connected or they enjoy dissecting it as only children can :-) it's really nice. They look forward to it very much. Anon bec. Others know that we do this.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:28 am
We talk about the parasha. My daughter tells us what she learned in school and we ask questions to her. We sing zemirot, we try for a dvar torah. And then we just enjoy each other's company. Its the only meal during the week that we all eat together, shabbat Smile

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
My husband shares an interesting story with the children, using gestures and funny voices. They story is either related to the parshah or about tzaddikim of the past generations. The children then describe how they think it's connected or they enjoy dissecting it as only children can :-) it's really nice. They look forward to it very much. Anon bec. Others know that we do this.

DH is great at story-telling but not at getting hold of the stories -- He said he's willing to tell the stories if I provide him with a book -- can anyone recommend a book preferably in Yiddish that has stories relating to the Parsha?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:16 am
We read and translate one aliya from the parsha.
(Anon b/c we have lots of guests and ppl remember this)

mha3484

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:24 am
We do DS's parsha questions, We let him choose the zmiros to sing and he tells us whatever he wants about school, his parsha projects etc.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
What do you do at your Shabbos table to make the meal exciting? How do you get the kids to feel like active participants?
Honestly?? We talk politics and politics (Israel). I know that wasn't what you meant, but my kids are big and aren't home so much for meals during the week and Shabbat is really the only time that everyone is together relaxed and talking. So we talk about what everyone is interested in.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 1:23 pm
My DD's shabbos table is very interesting. Her kids range from 3-18. Her DH prepares a question each week for each kid based on their level. The kids are very bright and the questions are much more than just a repetition of something they've learned -- they usually need to think a lot and figure something out. Often one of the other kids will also come up with an answer different from what their father had, and that leads to a lot of discussion.

ROFL

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 2:07 pm
For zemirot we used the NCSY bencher. Each of the kids used to pick a number and that is what we sang. I think they had more than 70 songs in the bencher.
We also asked parsha questions on each kids level Now the conversation flows from life , politics and news to deveri Torah .

goodmorning

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 2:12 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
My DD's shabbos table is very interesting. Her kids range from 3-18. Her DH prepares a question each week for each kid based on their level. The kids are very bright and the questions are much more than just a repetition of something they've learned -- they usually need to think a lot and figure something out. Often one of the other kids will also come up with an answer different from what their father had, and that leads to a lot of discussion.

Can you give some examples of questions? (It sounds interesting!)

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 3:06 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Can you give some examples of questions? (It sounds interesting!)

Well, most of the questions (even on the elementary school level [note this is in EY if I didn't already say that]) are beyond me, but it might be something like: how many times does XX appear in Tanach? Or where is else in Chumash the shoresh of XX? Or which people in Tanach did XX or XX? The questions require a deep knowledge of Chumash/Tanach on that person's level.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:48 pm
We sing together.
We start off with zemirot and then continue with other songs. Every few weeks we print out a new song to teach the kids.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 6:29 pm
My kids are young. We ask them questions on the parsha/yom tov and they get ajelly bean for every answer. They don't have to get it right, but if they discuss it or share a thought somewhere on the topic they get a jelly bean, usually around 5-6.
If DH is up to it he sings with them on his lap. zmiros an kids songs.

LO

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 11:45 am
Can someone recommend a book that we can use to get parsha questions for little kids, around 8-9 yrs old?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note