Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Milchig lunch/dinner, not fattening, any such thing???
1  2  Next

fbc

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:34 pm
I'd like to add variety to my milchig menu, but I feel like everything is so fattening because the basics are noodles, cheese and bread. Any foods out there that are milchig (or pareve, truthfully) that r not so fattening???

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:37 pm
What about fish?

fbc

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:48 pm
I was thinking that, but I'm really picky in general about foods, especially fish! If the taste is too fishy, I can't stand it. So far on the fish menu is tuna noodle casserole and salmon patties. They were a hit the first time I gave them to my husband, and they are my mother's recipes, so I grew up loving them. I'm open to ideas that are not so fishy Smile

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:49 pm
Try tilapia -- it is very bland and not fishy at all as long as it is very fresh.

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:56 pm
Most of the white fishes are very mild in taste - like sole and cod.

If you are open to it, there are recipes that rely on legumes - chickpeas, beans etc and not cheese and other dairy and those tend to be healthier. I've got quite a lot of those if you are interested.

You can make this dish as well as a few other grain or legume based "salads" and it's a great healthy meal.

Curried Chickpeas from Joan's On Third
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: LA Times
Serving Size: 4

Summary:

Dear SOS: I am utterly obsessed with the curried chickpeas at Joan’s on Third. They are the best curried chickpeas I've ever had. Every time I go there I order them as part of the salad trio (a selection of three salads from their daily specials on the marketplace menu). I should know by now that I should order just the chickpeas because they're all I ever want to eat (well, that and a number of things from the bakery).

Lauren Burchett

Los Angeles

Dear Lauren: The curry blend in this recipe gives an otherwise simple salad wonderful depth and robust flavor. Coriander and cumin lend fragrant earthiness, with a little cayenne pepper added for a hint of heat. The caramelized onions add richness, and the cilantro and lemon juice brighten the salad nicely, distinguishing the flavors. You can make it in advance; this is one salad that improves with an hour or two of chilling time.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup diced onions
4 teaspoons best-quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
Salt

Directions:

1. In a large sauté pan heated over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until deep golden and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

3. Add the chickpeas, cilantro and lemon juice and continue to stir to develop the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt, or to taste.

4. Cool the salad, then transfer it to a container, cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving, at least 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and lemon juice as desired. This makes just over 3 cups salad.

Nutritional Information:

Each of 4 servings: 238 calories; 9 grams protein; 37 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fiber; 6 grams fat; 1 grams saturated fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 2 grams sugar; 276 mg. sodium.

mille

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 5:11 pm
Well, if you're picky, it's going to be tough. You gotta expand your food horizons a bit!

There's a lot of dairy and pareve indian food that is very very healthy. I've posted a lot of recipes from budgetbytes.com for indian food before, a lot of it has chickpeas and tomatoes and lots of spices. I like all the ones with spinach, especially fresh spinach.

I also do veggie stir fries. You can add tofu, tempeh, or egg for protein, or add in a peanut sauce for some protein, but otherwise it's a LOT of veggies with a sauce (that can be as healthy as you want it to be), over some rice. You can do brown rice if you want more fiber, or quinoa if you didn't add a protein or want something not so carb-y. Stir fry can be very low fat, too.

I also like mexican food, you can do enchiladas with beans and corn and veggies, in corn or flour tortillas, topped with enchilada (or taco) sauce. You can sprinkle a LITTLE cheese (after all, a little bit isn't bad, it's the entire bag plus ricotta needed for a tray of ziti that's bad, right?) on top, too, if you want.

If you want fish that's not too fishy, stay away from salmon. Tilapia is really mild, and it's really not fishy especially if you do some sort of sauce. We really enjoy baking tilapia in parchment paper with whatever veggies were fresh and on sale that week, with a bit of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. You wrap it up so it steams in the parchment paper.

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 5:17 pm
Soups are great. Try a bean soup topped with nonfat Greek yogurt, or mushroom, vegetable, or split pea. And vegetable stews like ratatouille, or vegetarian chili.

Try cooking a stir fry, and serving over quinoa for extra nutrition. If you've never tried playing with tofu, you may find it enjoyable.

Many veggie burgers are lower in fat than beef burgers, especially when paired with salad. And if you choose a whole wheat pasta or bread, it is healthier than the white flour choices.

We really only eat chicken or beef on Shabbos. There are so many other yummy choices for the rest of the week.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 5:25 pm
What everyone said.

Scrambled eggs with veggies in them (onions or scallions, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach if you like, feta cheese or other cheese can be added) can be quite filling. Shakshuka is nice.
Making rice and Indian dahl (google recipes) with some Indian veggies is one of my favorite meals. I can send you a recipe or two if you want.

Moosewood cooks at home is a vegetarian cookbook that can help out. very specific and it's their 'short on time' version with faster recipes and shortcuts.

I like making various veggie soups. Love carrots, potatoes, sweet potato/butternut squash variations. Olive oil with onions and garlic for a bit, some spices (cinnamon and cumin are my fave) and add veggies, then water, then zhuzh with a hand-blender. Serve any soup with a nice salad. Salads can include chickpeas, eggs, beets, lots of interesting things.

Also using quinoa in addition to rice and pastas helps give some diversity. And couscous.

I can give more suggestions but I recommend starting with a good veggie cookbook (or google).

MamaBear

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 5:29 pm
Veggie quiche with egg whites and low fat cottage cheese.

Quinoa greek salad with just a bit of feta.

Dairy tacos with lentils spiced with taco seasoning, low fat or nonfat soul cream, a bit of shredded mozzarella and then the usual taco add ons like brown rice and veggies. You can use baked for tortillas too.

mirror

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:30 pm
You can substitute cottage cheese for mozzarella cheese in some recipes.

If you use a lot of tomato sauce, you won't miss the hard cheese.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 1:33 am
mille wrote:
Well, if you're picky, it's going to be tough. You gotta expand your food horizons a bit!

There's a lot of dairy and pareve indian food that is very very healthy. I've posted a lot of recipes from budgetbytes.com for indian food before, a lot of it has chickpeas and tomatoes and lots of spices. I like all the ones with spinach, especially fresh spinach.

This. Lots of lentils, beans, etc. and fresh vegetables make for an excellent and nutritious, low-fat parve meal. Add yogurt as a side to make it dairy. I love Indian food.

choco1

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 3:10 am
Zucchini boats or eggplant/zucchini roll ups are delish and low fat but more work than lets say fish or noodles... Let me know if you want the recipes.

Bruria

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 4:55 am
I second the cottage cheese quiche idea, plus it's easy to make. Pie crust, 4 eggs, a package of 16oz of cottage cheese, you can also use a bit of feta , just put spices, then oven and you are done!

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:00 am
things I make

red lentil and coconut curry with rice.
shakshuka
salmon (we don't like fishy fish either but a piece of fresh salmon, simply baked with a sprinkling of salt and black pepper and eaten straight away is yum) serve with baby potatoes.
tuna patties
breaded baked cod or other white fish.
frittata
lentil shepherds pie (cooked lentils in place of meat)
you can make a tomato sauce for pasta with tuna in.
if you make lasagna you can sub tofu for some of the cheese.
eggplant parmesan - bake the breaded eggplant instead of frying and use very little cheese. (you can try using tofu in place of the cheese here too)

find creative veggies to make your meals more interesting. We just had roast kohlrabi on pesach and it was yum. Most vegetable are yummy if you spice them well and roast them. Cauliflower, zucchini, parsnip, sweet potato, asparagus....

Also, you can make a tofu and veggie stir fry.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:15 am
I just want to share with you somethng that I've been doing for years - any milchig recipe that calls for a cream sauce or heavy cream, in a separate pot, I make a roux with a little oil or butter and flour and then add milk (skim or 2%) and use that instead. I have never noticed a significant difference and no in my family has any clue.

etky

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:50 am
If making quiche then consider, instead of pie crust which is very caloric and offers little nutrition, just spraying the pan with some Pam and dusting it with cornflake or bread crumbs. You can shave off lots of calories that way.

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:58 am
I make salmon, a salad with low fat cheese. And a cup of coffee Smile
Perfect!

etky

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:27 am
Well, turns out this thread is timely for me b/c I just invited our very diet-conscious, vegan friends for a meal on Shabbat.
I think I'm going to try Amarente's curried chickpeas from Joan's on Third (isn't that the promenade in Santa Monica?). I haven't made ratatouille in a while so I think I'll do that too - thanks Imasinger. We'll start with a hearty red lentil soup. DD will be home for Shabbat and she loves krauter lokshen so I'll make that and also roast potatoes with fresh rosemary (the only herb which has survived shmitta so far) from our garden. I'll throw in a couple of fresh salads too. I'll have to remember to tame the amount of oil that I use - when you're cooking vegan that's where the calories are. Veggies, pulses and grains are naturally low fat but added oil can really ramp up the calorie count.

Grandma 1

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:43 am
choco1 wrote:
Zucchini boats or eggplant/zucchini roll ups are delish and low fat but more work than lets say fish or noodles... Let me know if you want the recipes.

Please share both recipes. They sound yummy!
Thanks so much!

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:17 am
etky wrote:
Well, turns out this thread is timely for me b/c I just invited our very diet-conscious, vegan friends for a meal on Shabbat.
I think I'm going to try Amarente's curried chickpeas from Joan's on Third (isn't that the promenade in Santa Monica?). I haven't made ratatouille in a while so I think I'll do that too - thanks Imasinger. We'll start with a hearty red lentil soup. DD will be home for Shabbat and she loves krauter lokshen so I'll make that and also roast potatoes with fresh rosemary (the only herb which has survived shmitta so far) from our garden. I'll throw in a couple of fresh salads too. I'll have to remember to tame the amount of oil that I use - when you're cooking vegan that's where the calories are. Veggies, pulses and grains are naturally low fat but added oil can really ramp up the calorie count.

This is the Third Street near the Beverly Center - although that's less confusing than Little Santa Monica and Regular Santa Monica Boulevards. Very Happy

I often make a big batch to keep in the fridge because it makes such a tasty healthy nosh. The pine nuts aren't necessary but they add a nice crunchy touch.

I salt the eggplant and put in a colander for about an hour with a plate weighed down with some cans to release the bitter liquid.

Caponata
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: LA Times

Ingredients:

1 large eggplant, peeled, cut Into 2/3 inch dice
1 tablespoon Coarse salt
2 large sweet onions (Vidalia), cut Into 1/2~inch dice
3 small stalks celery, cut Into 1/2-Inch dice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
3 zucchini, cut Into 2/3 inch dice
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 2/3 inch dice
2 teaspoons dried thvme
1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts optional

Directions:

Place the eggplant in a colander. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let rest for 30 minutes. Rinse well with cold water, shaking the colander to remove as much water as possible.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.

Add the rinsed eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, thyme, the basil and oregano. Cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and juice, vinegar and honey. Stir well. Simmer, uncovered, until the eggplant is just tender but keeps its shape and is not soft or mushy, about 5 minutes more. Taste; season to taste with pepper and salt. Stir in the pine nuts, if
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics