Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What's expected when my kids have a play date?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 4:56 pm
We just moved into a new house and my kids are really excited to have play dates because at our other place it wasn't possible. My 7 year old son, while at school, invited a boy in his class over today after school. Around 1:15 he comes and asks to play with ds. He's still here and it's almost 5:00. Is it normal amount if time for a play date? My kids are getting a little antsy and need some down time. I want to give them dinner soon, do I serve the friend also? I hardly know his mother, so I feel so funny calling her. Maybe I should? Just wondering if it's 'normal' for when my kids friends come over. Thanx!!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 6:16 pm
It is pretty long for 7 year olds, but it's not necessarily too long. You can definitely call the mother, just say the truth, they had a great time, but they seem to be ready to wind down, or else tell her that your ready to eat soon. I don't think you should give a 7 year old supper without asking his parents first.

boysrus

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 6:36 pm
sorry , hope I am not taking over your thread, but I am fuming from yesterday when a classmate of my 4 year old was brought over to play by his father. Almost four hours later, nobody had come to pick him up! the two 4 yr olds were over tired by that point and going hyper together. my husband had to take the kid home, a fifteen minute walk, hoping that somebody would be home. and becuase of that, I didnt manage to get to my shabbos afternoon shiur because I had to stay home with my older kids. I am so mad, what kind of parent just leaves their 4 yr old for such long time!?

OP, even for a 7 year old, that amount of time is too long in my opinion, you should definitely call them and make better arragnements for next time. I just wish I had been the one opening the door to our 4 yr old visitor. in future I will give specific instructions what to do if that kid comes again, eg. tell them maximum 2 hrs!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:
We just moved into a new house and my kids are really excited to have play dates because at our other place it wasn't possible. My 7 year old son, while at school, invited a boy in his class over today after school. Around 1:15 he comes and asks to play with ds. He's still here and it's almost 5:00. Is it normal amount if time for a play date? My kids are getting a little antsy and need some down time. I want to give them dinner soon, do I serve the friend also? I hardly know his mother, so I feel so funny calling her. Maybe I should? Just wondering if it's 'normal' for when my kids friends come over. Thanx!!

There is no "I hardly know his mother".

The fact that she entrusted her kid to you is an introduction of the most intimate kind. Call her any time and for any reason you want. Act like you are buddies.

She may have fourteen other kids and gotten confused. Just call.

MamaBear

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 7:43 pm
"--- had a great time. We're winding down now, can you come get him or should I bring him over?"

Don't over think the situation

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:10 pm
For future reference, I always discuss the end time when scheduling a playdate, equally whether I'm hosting or sending. Not to the minute, but within a half-hour or so range. Dealing with 4-5 year olds but I'm thinking I'll still be doing it the same way for several more years. Maybe I'm just "that mom" but that's fine with me.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:18 pm
I usually either set an end-time if I have a specific reason, or I let the mom know that at x time I'll check in to let her know how the playdate's holding. Sometimes it's going great, and I tell her I'll check back in an hour, other times I let her know it's coming to a close. No one wants their kid to be in an unhappy playdate. Communication is key.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children