Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Is Shana Rishona in Israel possible w/o financial support
1  2  3  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 9:56 am
My sister and her chosson would love to live in Israel after the wedding (for a year, maybe longer).

Neither set of parents has any money to support them. Both the girl and boy recently came back from yeshiva/seminary so they have no money saved up from working.

I personally think it would be great for them to live there (for many reasons). But they know they can't go if they don't have realistic plans on how to support themselves (where we live, things are cheaper).

Is there any way I can help them achieve this dream? No, I don't have the money to support them. Has anyone gone there without having a job lined up, and without any money saved up? Is it possible for a young couple to survive there without support?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:00 am
As long as she could get a job and he could find a well paying Kollel and they live frugally it's definitely doable and done.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:02 am
They have no money, no careers... Where in the world can they live like that?

SRS

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:29 am
Do you think this is a good long term plan for their marriage which certainly requires some practicality? Perhaps they can save and spend year 3 or 4 there?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:37 am
The only couples I know in that situation who have done it are those who spent their wedding gift money to do it.

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:47 am
We're doing it! And not being supported, I work 6 hours a day, every day of the week and my husband works 3 hours a day and is also paid by his kollel. It's def possible if she's not spoiled and can budget

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:48 am
But, that being said, DOn't go anywhere without having a job lined up, or at least job possibilities. It's a recipe for disaster.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:59 am
And decent jobs for an American w/o Israeli citizenship are hard to come by.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:00 am
OOTBubby wrote:
And decent jobs for an American w/o Israeli citizenship are hard to come by.

Unless they have working visas.

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:03 am
That's true. She may want to consider getting a work Visa. Although I work for an American company I know that jobs like mine are not the norm.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:03 am
I went as a newlywed hoping to find a job there. well guess what? no english speaking jobs were available and I didnt have a degree in something I could use overseas. so after a couple of months where we were spending all our wedding money, we moved back. so don't go hoping to get a job.

I did try to get a job while still in the states but whenever I called ppl they said come meet me for an interview. I would say I wont be there for a couple more months. they would say we will talk when you come or they need someone to start right away and then it just never worked out

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:12 am
I'm sorry to hear about your experience!
From experience, it is possible to get a job from abroad but only if you are planning on being there in the near future and can arrange a skype interview.
Some people try doing babysitting, baking or cooking from home. working in a Gan, Even cleaning/ light housekeeping - can pay around 50 NIS an hour.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:40 am
Lizzie4 wrote:
working in a Gan, Even cleaning/ light housekeeping - can pay around 50 NIS an hour.
I think you have to be legally working for those (I don't know how you do that). My cleaning lady raised her 5 kids from cleaning houses (no support from ex) but she cleans 2 houses a day = 8 hours. She's Israeli.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:06 pm
I have a friend who made really good money cooking for wealthy Americans who come for yom tov. She worked super hard. She moved back to the states for reasons unrelated to parnassa. But she sometimes will go back to Israel for several weeks before yom tov to cook for people there. She must be earning quite a bit for it to be worth the plane ticket and leaving her dh and kids for so long.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:06 pm
SRS wrote:
Do you think this is a good long term plan for their marriage which certainly requires some practicality? Perhaps they can save and spend year 3 or 4 there?

Because once kids enter the picture, it's a lot harder.

And I think it would be good for the couple to start off their marriage away from their parents...

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:08 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
The only couples I know in that situation who have done it are those who spent their wedding gift money to do it.

And I don't know anyone personally who made enough money to live even one month in Israel, or anywhere really. I didn't make more than $1,000, and my siblings didn't get much more than that.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:09 pm
Absolutely! We're here almost 5 years married (my husband was here many more years before that, too) without any support. Especially before kids come into the picture, it's totally doable. I scheduled a job interview from america, and got the job right before our wedding (which was in israel). My husband was in kollel.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
Absolutely! We're here almost 5 years married (my husband was here many more years before that, too) without any support. Especially before kids come into the picture, it's totally doable.

How? Can you share some tips?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
How? Can you share some tips?

Well now it's a bit hard since we have 2 kids and one on the way IY"H, so my husband started working recently. He still learns night seder.

I think a lot of it depends on your standards. We lived for two years (til my 1st was over a year old) in a small 1 room apartment. I started working an 8 hour job (morning and night hours, so afternoon is free to be with the kids) - now it's 6 hours (not my choice). We eat chicken on shabbos, and sometimes hot dogs maybe once during the week. We don't go out to eat often (we sometimes get pizza as a special treat). Overall, we're not big spenders (also our personalities), so that makes it a lot easier.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:23 pm
Shanah Rishona is completely possible anywhere without financial support -- if you work.

Lizzie4 wrote:
That's true. She may want to consider getting a work Visa. Although I work for an American company I know that jobs like mine are not the norm.

If you are not making aliyah, and you intend to work in Israel, you need to obtain a work visa, unless you are planning to work illegally (I wouldn't advise that). You can generally get one only if you are working for a US/international company and are relocated to Israel, or if you have a job lined up in Israel before you arrive.

https://www.justlanded.com/eng.....srael

Keep in mind that some parts of Israel are more expensive than others. Where were you thinking of living?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions