Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can you tell me about St. Louis

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:46 am
We are considering a move to St. Louis / Chesterfield. Can you tell me about the community there? What are the schools like? We are coming from Lakewood / yeshivish background.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 3:47 pm
bump

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 3:54 pm
I don't know that much about it. We've only passed through and spent a couple of days there. It's supposed to be very nice and warm, but it's very OOT. So coming from a Lakewood background, you have to realize that besides much of the amenities you're used to, the "right-wing" people there would still be considered left-wing in Lakewood, which is true of virtually every small OOT community. But if you go in prepared to accept them without being judgmental, they will surely do the same to you.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 3:55 pm
The job market here is not very strong. Do you have a job offer already?

90% of frum jews live in U City, if not more. The days schools are good, not great. Torah Prep is yeshivish; Epstein is a mix of everything from modern to yeshivish to Chabad.

High schools are tricky....lots of transition right now for the whole community.

St Louis has got to be one of the best family friendly cities out there, and I've lived in a few. Everything is close by, little to no traffic. It's extremely down to earth. No keeping up with anyone. Ever. Smile

Trade off? Limited options. One place for judaica, 1-2 kosher places, schooling and camp options etc etc

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 4:02 pm
Thanks for the responses! When you say "The days schools are good, not great." - in terms of what do you mean that? Also, when you say "Torah Prep is yeshivish", I'm assuming that is relative, like the first poster mentions? Would you know how it compares to the Lakewood schools?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 6:33 pm
Chesterfield is a 30 minute drive from U City, without traffic.
It can take 45 minutes to drive your kids to/from school.
The majority of the yeshivish couples in Chesterfield are part of Chofetz Chaim.
There is only 1 frum shul in Chesterfield and it's nothing like you will find in Lakewood, think 3.5 hour shacharis on shabbos morning.

The Bais Yaakov High School (in U City) is a great school.

Do more research if your kids will need Speech, OT or PT, as I understand it may be hard to get insurance coverage.

There are a lot of really nice families; there are great trips for kids and it is a very family friendly city.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 6:43 pm
Thanks for the info! Is there bussing/van/carpool from Chesterfield to U City or do people drive both ways every day? In what way is the high school great? Academics? Teachers? Student body?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:29 pm
There's no bus. Some parents carpool. The Bais Yaakov is very warm, students seems happy. They seem to thrive post high school.

Location leaves a lot to be desired. The basement of an old synagogue.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:37 am
The BY high school curriculum and extra curricular activities are on par with any in-town BY, which is amazing for a small out-of-town school which has about 30 girls total in 9-12 grade.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 2:34 am
How many famliies are there in St. Louis?
How does it compare in size and hashkafa to lets say Cleveland or Detroit?

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 3:18 am
Very warm place. Unless you're Chofetz Chaim, U-City is more your speed. In Chesterfield, I think housing may be cheaper and nicer, but you'll be so far from everything and will involve 20 mins. of driving in each direction just to take your kids to school or to a friend.

Torah Prep (the more yeshivish school) would be your speed. While it is a big mix, I think the school's policies and standards are more yeshivish. (No, does not equate with mainstream Lkwd as far as I know.) I doubt Epstein is your speed. It is mostly modern Orthodox. I don't think there are any yeshivish people there now. It used to be that the children of Rabbeim were yeshivish, but I think almost all grew up and no longer attend Epstein.

The BY is wonderful. Very warm, caring, individualized place. Principal strives to have a relationship with each girl. GO is amazing and the school really prioritizes it too!

Iymnok

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 3:22 am
I know a family well that moved to Lakewood from St. Louis. They were very involved in the community and could be your best resource.
Pm me.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
How many famliies are there in St. Louis?
How does it compare in size and hashkafa to lets say Cleveland or Detroit?

St. Louis is much smaller. I can't give you numbers. I would say it's comparable to Cleveland and Detroit hashkafa wise. Probably even more wholesome.

doctorima

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 9:31 am
St. Louis is a much, much smaller community than Cleveland or Detroit, so even the right-wing families in St. Louis are likely to be more open and OOTish by definition, just because there are so few of them that they have to be more mixed and integrated into the broader and more diverse community. It will also likely be a warmer and more welcoming atmosphere because of the smaller numbers. Real estate will likely be more expensive.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:17 pm
looking for info on st.louis
how would you describe the community hashkafically?
how much do houses go for?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:16 pm
Hashkafically it's a nice OOT mix of warm, friendly, non-judgmental midwesterners, with a mix of black-hat (Agudah shul) and MO (Young Israel) and everything in-between, living together in peace and harmony.

I'm not sure about real estate there. I guess you could check Zillow for the area near the shuls (which are a block away from one another on Delmar in ZIP 63130).

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 7:44 pm
These are two nice ranch options in area (I live in stl)
https://www.realtor.com/reales.....ew=qv

https://www.realtor.com/reales.....hoto4

Here's a nice two story option (two stories are always more expensive):

The right wing community is thriving and strong but the modern orthodox community is struggling in terms of numbers. Both day schools are strong academically but the MO numbers have been dwindling to a dangerously low amount. That said, it is a really nice warm community with a pretty low cost of living in what, in my opinion, is one of the most family friendly cities in the country. And we've been everywhere. Almost no traffic too. Everything is a few minutes away. Life is simple and easy. But with that are certain compromises in terms of frum life. Whether it's choice of schools or camps or kosher food or sheitel machers.

The airport is a ten minute drive and low stress. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it's very helpful if you travel to see family.

ysdm

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 12:42 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
These are two nice ranch options in area (I live in stl)

https://www.realtor.com/reales.....hoto4

Here's a nice two story option (two stories are always more expensive):

The right wing community is thriving and strong but the modern orthodox community is struggling in terms of numbers. Both day schools are strong academically but the MO numbers have been dwindling to a dangerously low amount. That said, it is a really nice warm community with a pretty low cost of living in what, in my opinion, is one of the most family friendly cities in the country. And we've been everywhere. Almost no traffic too. Everything is a few minutes away. Life is simple and easy. But with that are certain compromises in terms of frum life. Whether it's choice of schools or camps or kosher food or sheitel machers.

The airport is a ten minute drive and low stress. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it's very helpful if you travel to see family.

HI!
I'm from stl originally!
Nice to know that there are more of us on here.
Pm me if you want to know who I am
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating