Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Need no bake cheesecake recipe
1  2  Next

Chickpea

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:35 pm
Does anyone have a no bake cheesecake recipe? All the no bake recipes I've been seeing use vanilla pudding, heavy cream and/or whipped cream. I'm really trying to avoid those ingredients. The cheesecake I normally bake includes eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cream cheese. What would happen if I used such a recipe w/o baking it?

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:50 pm
Chickpea wrote:
Does anyone have a no bake cheesecake recipe? All the no bake recipes I've been seeing use vanilla pudding, heavy cream and/or whipped cream. I'm really trying to avoid those ingredients. The cheesecake I normally bake includes eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cream cheese. What would happen if I used such a recipe w/o baking it?

I don't think it's a good idea to use a cheesecake batter unbaked. Cooks country has a no bake Oreo cheesecake but you make a pudding first. Here's the recipe that someone tweaked:
http://www.thegalleygourmet.ne.....l?m=1

It uses white chocolate to help with the texture.
Here's the explanation:
https://www.cookscountry.com/r.....ecake (you have to pay to see the recipe here but the explanation is free)

Would you consider a tiramisu? No raw eggs and I've seen versions that call for mascarpone cheese or Estee Kafra's (from her Binah cookbook) that uses heavy cream (but no cream cheese).

Why do you need it to be no bake?

Last edited by cbsp on Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

climbing613

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:51 pm
I wouldn't use a recipe with eggs and not bake it... Raw eggs and all...
Kosherscoop had this one for Pesach, so I imagine you could adapt the crust if you'd like.
It was delicious, but increase the gelatin by a ton to get it to set better.

Ingredients:
butter or margarine - 2 oz, melted
sugar - 1/2 cup
ground filberts or almonds - 1 cup
Filling:
clear unflavored gelatin - 1 tbsp, dissolved in 1 1/2 tbsp hot water---maybe increase to 5? I might have even gotten to about 7, but I didn't measure, I'm not sure...
whipped (reduced fat) cream cheese - 2 8-oz containers
vanilla greek yogurt - 1/4 cup
confectioners' sugar - 2/3 cup
freshly squeezed lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Combine the melted butter, sugar, and nuts in a bowl. Pour into a 9-inch round pan and flatten with a back of a spoon to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the hot water. Let cool for about 5 minutes. (It should still be liquid but not too hot.)
Mix the remaining ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add the dissolved gelatin and pour into the baked crust. Let set for at least two hours in the fridge.

Chickpea

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 8:12 pm
climbing613 wrote:
I wouldn't use a recipe with eggs and not bake it... Raw eggs and all...
Kosherscoop had this one for Pesach, so I imagine you could adapt the crust if you'd like.
It was delicious, but increase the gelatin by a ton to get it to set better.

Ingredients:
butter or margarine - 2 oz, melted
sugar - 1/2 cup
ground filberts or almonds - 1 cup
Filling:
clear unflavored gelatin - 1 tbsp, dissolved in 1 1/2 tbsp hot water---maybe increase to 5? I might have even gotten to about 7, but I didn't measure, I'm not sure...
whipped (reduced fat) cream cheese - 2 8-oz containers
vanilla greek yogurt - 1/4 cup
confectioners' sugar - 2/3 cup
freshly squeezed lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Combine the melted butter, sugar, and nuts in a bowl. Pour into a 9-inch round pan and flatten with a back of a spoon to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the hot water. Let cool for about 5 minutes. (It should still be liquid but not too hot.)
Mix the remaining ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add the dissolved gelatin and pour into the baked crust. Let set for at least two hours in the fridge.

Thanks climbing 613, this recipe looks amazing! As as soon as I posted my thread I realized that I can't use raw eggs.

Chickpea

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 6:45 am
cbsp wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to use a cheesecake batter unbaked. Cooks country has a no bake Oreo cheesecake but you make a pudding first. Here's the recipe that someone tweaked:
http://www.thegalleygourmet.ne.....l?m=1

It uses white chocolate to help with the texture.
Here's the explanation:
https://www.cookscountry.com/r.....ecake (you have to pay to see the recipe here but the explanation is free)

Would you consider a tiramisu? No raw eggs and I've seen versions that call for mascarpone cheese or Estee Kafra's (from her Binah cookbook) that uses heavy cream (but no cream cheese).

Why do you need it to be no bake?

Thank you cbsp. I appreciate your input on my question and am sorry I didn't respond sooner. I posted this under Shavuous bc people are starting to write about it but Pesach is still fresh in my mind and it would've looked funny posting it under that. Anyway, I stayed home for Pesach this year and the one thing I missed about not going away to a hotel was cheesecake, of all things. I was so craving it! My oven is fleishig and don't want to keep re-kashering it on Pesach for dairy, so I figured I 'd make a no bake cheesecake.(During the year I use my microwave which converts into a convection oven to bake dairy.)
I want to stick to basic cheesecake ingredients, not things like pudding and heavy cream. I'm realizing now that the one ingredient that makes cheesecake set are eggs.....can't use, salmonella. I guess it can't be done. Oh well...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 6:52 am
Would you be interested in a cheesecake pie? Made with cream cheese, sour cream,

Chickpea

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 6:56 am
ra_mom wrote:
Would you be interested in a cheesecake pie? Made with cream cheese, sour cream,

Yes, please!

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 7:33 am
Chickpea wrote:
Thank you cbsp. I appreciate your input on my question and am sorry I didn't respond sooner....
I want to stick to basic cheesecake ingredients, not things like pudding and heavy cream. I'm realizing now that the one ingredient that makes cheesecake set are eggs.....can't use, salmonella. I guess it can't be done. Oh well...

Ok, got it. But the pudding (or gelatin, like in the cheesecake above) are there instead of the eggs. I'm not invested in changing your mind but I am curious why you don't want the pudding. Is it an "it's Pesach, we don't use extra/processed ingredients" thing? FWIW, the Oreo cheesecake has a cooked pudding that's not instant, it cooks the egg yolks so they're safe - I made it for my son's upsherin, I never had so many rave reviews for my cheesecakes - it did not taste "off" at all... (there's another cooks country recipe that's more lemony, no Oreos, that you make a lemon curd).

I'm gonna dig around to see if there's anything else... I know the Heimishe (Nitra) cookbook (I think the red one) had a no bake triangle cheesecake. I wonder if there were raw eggs in it...

Totally understand missing cheesecakes on yontif, and Shavuos is a LONG 7 weeks away from the first Pesach morning!

Chickpea

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:01 am
cbsp wrote:
Ok, got it. But the pudding (or gelatin, like in the cheesecake above) are there instead of the eggs. I'm not invested in changing your mind but I am curious why you don't want the pudding. Is it an "it's Pesach, we don't use extra/processed ingredients" thing? FWIW, the Oreo cheesecake has a cooked pudding that's not instant, it cooks the egg yolks so they're safe - I made it for my son's upsherin, I never had so many rave reviews for my cheesecakes - it did not taste "off" at all... (there's another cooks country recipe that's more lemony, no Oreos, that you make a lemon curd).

I'm gonna dig around to see if there's anything else... I know the Heimishe (Nitra) cookbook (I think the red one) had a no bake triangle cheesecake. I wonder if there were raw eggs in it...

Totally understand missing cheesecakes on yontif, and evti is a LONG 7 weeks away from the first Pesach morning!

Extra/processed ingredients aren't the issue. It's just that I wanted pure, unadulterared cheesecake. I would think that adding pudding to it would change the flavor. Does it? Maybe I'm wrong. Also, embarassed to say it, as it's sooo unhealthy, but theres's nothing like having icy cold cheesecake with a cup of hot coffee at breakfast. The thought of eating heavy cream and pudding in the morning seems so loaded with calories. It's enough that a classic cheesecake is fattening enough.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:11 am
Now I have a craving for cheesecake Banging head

Chickpea

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:14 am
JMM-uc wrote:
Now I have a craving for cheesecake Banging head
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

sarahavigail

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:44 am
This one is Amazing and light. I make it in a Graham cracker pie crust
http://sallysbakingaddiction.c.....bars/

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:50 am
Chickpea wrote:
Yes, please!

No Bake Cheese Pie (Spice & Spirit) 

1 cup cream cheese 
1/2 cup farmer cheese 
1 cup sour cream 
1/2 cup honey 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 graham cracker crust 

In a large bowl combine cheese, sour cream, honey and vanilla. Beat well. Pour filling into pie crust. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight. 
Thaw pie in refrigerator for just 1 hour before serving. Garnish as desired. 

It's really good!

You can make this in a store bought pesach pie crust or bake your own crust using 1 pkg crushed lady fingers and 1 stick butter.

Chickpea

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 9:16 am
sarahavigail wrote:
This one is Amazing and light. I make it in a Graham cracker pie crust
http://sallysbakingaddiction.c.....bars/

Thank you Sarahavigail! I so appreciate your effort into doing cheesecake research for me, but that recipe calls for using raw egg whites, which entails baking.

Chickpea

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 10:18 am
ra_mom wrote:
No Bake Cheese Pie (Spice & Spirit) 

1 cup cream cheese 
1/2 cup farmer cheese 
1 cup sour cream 
1/2 cup honey 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 graham cracker crust 

In a large bowl combine cheese, sour cream, honey and vanilla. Beat well. Pour filling into pie crust. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight. 
Thaw pie in refrigerator for just 1 hour before serving. Garnish as desired. 

It's really good!

You can make this in a store bought pesach pie crust or bake your own crust using 1 pkg crushed lady fingers and 1 stick butter.

ra_mom, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! So appreciated. This is what I had in mind. Questions:
1. Do you think I can substitute granulated white sugar for the honey?
2. Once it has been frozen and set, must I put the leftover cake back in the freezer or do you think I can leave it in the fridge?
Btw, I'm going to make it w/o a pie crust to cut calories.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 10:23 am
Chickpea wrote:
ra_mom, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! So appreciated. This is what I had in mind. Questions:
1. Do you think I can substitute granulated white sugar for the honey?
2. Once it has been frozen and set, must I put the leftover cake back in the freezer or do you think I can leave it in the fridge?
Btw, I'm going to make it w/o a pie crust to cut calories.

1. I'm sure you can use granulated sugar, the consistency will be different though as the honey kind of acts a bit like a glue
2. It doesn't fully set on its own which is why you only partially thaw it for 1 hour, in the fridge. So you should put the leftovers back into the freezer.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:31 am
ra_mom wrote:

2. It doesn't fully set on its own which is why you only partially thaw it for 1 hour, in the fridge. So you should put the leftovers back into the freezer.

If you're going to make it without the crust then maybe you can make individual ones in cupcake holders and then defrost as needed

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:34 am
ra_mom wrote:
1. I'm sure you can use granulated sugar, the consistency will be a little different.

Thought of this after I submitted the other response:
Maybe you can use confectioners sugar. There's also something called Baker's sugar, it's a finer crystal. It's readily available in the Midwest supermarkets but I don't know where you're located.

Chickpea

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:41 pm
cbsp wrote:
If you're going to make it without the crust then maybe you can make individual ones in cupcake holders and then defrost as needed

I like your suggestion. Thanks.

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:09 pm
Chickpea wrote:
I like your suggestion. Thanks.

I'm glad. I actually made the (baked) cheese cake cupcakes from the Binah this past Pesach so I had the idea in mind. My goal was to make them first, then kasher, bake pareve, then keep the oven fleishig for the rest of yontif. Instead we started cooking too late for such luxuries so I ended up making them chol haMoed, but once my oven was milchigs I also baked a lasagna (1st time!) which was a hit. So I gained in the end. But I like the last recipe above, if you try it out with sugar please post the results...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics