Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions about the Social Work field

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:06 pm
Hi! I am looking for information and hoping some of you can help me.

I’ve always been interested in helping people and becoming a therapist. After some research, I have narrowed down that the best approach for me is to obtain a degree in social work. However, there is only so much information I can find online and I’d really like to learn more from people who have been through the schooling and worked in the field.

So, here is what I’d love to hear about:

1. The pros and cons of the job. How much is actual helping people and how much is paperwork, etc.?

2. How hard is the schooling? Would someone of (at least) average intelligence be able to get through their Master’s degree if they apply themselves? In other words, how can I find out ahead of time whether I am biting off more than I can chew?

3. What are the hours like typically? Do any social workers work part time or is full time work usually expected?

4. What types of therapy can a social worker offer (vs. a psychologist, etc)?

5. Is an online degree as valuable as a campus college degree?

6. If I were to decide to become a licensed social worker, how hard is it to obtain licensure? (I guess that probably depends on my state.)

Whew! Okay, I know that’s a lot of questions and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer whichever ones apply to you.

PS – I am anonymous because I have been talking about this a lot IRL.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:12 pm
I don't know about it from the point of view you need, but I have been on the receiving end of social workers in various capacities and regardless of how much or little or in-between paperwork goes on behind the scenes, you are definitely helping people. It is a profession of chessed. I have been happier with social workers than psychologists I've seen almost every time, if therapy is what you want to do they seem to be just about interchangeable. As a teacher, I have seen social workers do amazing things for children and families. If this is something you want and feel you would be well suited for it, go for it.

Another note about paperwork concerns (which I have a bunch of in my field too): Working directly with people can be draining. Paperwork may be annoying but it can be a healthy reprieve and a chance to take a step back from direct work.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:13 pm
Also, consider editing your post title to "questions about the social work field." You might get more relevant clicks that way.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
Hi! I am looking for information and hoping some of you can help me.

I’ve always been interested in helping people and becoming a therapist. After some research, I have narrowed down that the best approach for me is to obtain a degree in social work. However, there is only so much information I can find online and I’d really like to learn more from people who have been through the schooling and worked in the field.

So, here is what I’d love to hear about:

1. The pros and cons of the job. How much is actual helping people and how much is paperwork, etc.?

2. How hard is the schooling? Would someone of (at least) average intelligence be able to get through their Master’s degree if they apply themselves? In other words, how can I find out ahead of time whether I am biting off more than I can chew?

3. What are the hours like typically? Do any social workers work part time or is full time work usually expected?

4. What types of therapy can a social worker offer (vs. a psychologist, etc)?

5. Is an online degree as valuable as a campus college degree?

6. If I were to decide to become a licensed social worker, how hard is it to obtain licensure? (I guess that probably depends on my state.)

Whew! Okay, I know that’s a lot of questions and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer whichever ones apply to you.

PS – I am anonymous because I have been talking about this a lot IRL.

1. The paperwork/client meetings ratio really depends on the job. A therapy job will have much more face-to-face time and less paperwork, a case management position would be a lot more paperwork than meetings.
2. The schoolwork itself is not difficult per se. I found it very time-consuming. I had tests in only one class - every other class had research papers for midterm, final, and usually one other during the semester. Sometimes they ask you to share things that are personal for you - how it feels to ask for help, a loss you went through, and experiences you had that led you to become a social worker. So not intellectually challenging, no. But you do have to apply yourself because it's a lot of writing.
3. I work part-time right now. Most jobs I see are full-time, and they're not 9-5 jobs. For example, many child therapists work afternoons and evenings when kids are out of school. Substance abuse counselors who run groups usually do so at night.
4. A social worker who is licensed can provide any type of therapy, while working under an LCSW. A regular social work license (LMSW - licensed master of social work) means you can provide therapy under guidance, while LCSW - licensed clinical social worker - can provide therapy without being supervised and open their own practice. (Of course any good therapist will need supervision to bounce ideas off of and to make sure they are doing the best they can.)
5. No, absolutely not. I found that you can't compare the amount of learning that goes on in a classroom - the lectures, discussions, projects, group work, peer support, role plays, etc - to sitting on your own and studying the material. Especially with social work which is such a relationship-based field - how can you develop those relationship skills without practicing them?
6. Depends on which state you live in. Usually you just have to have your master's, fill out some paperwork, pay the fee, and take the test. I passed on the first try; my coworker passed on the second. The exam is nowhere near as difficult as the bar or CPA. Also, you should try to get your license as soon as possible, while you still remember everything from school. And you need to have your license in order to provide therapy, so you should not put it off.

Good luck! If you have any more questions I would be happy to help.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 2:30 pm
OP

Wow, thank you so much. Your responses have been so helpful!

Amother: I loved your answers. Writing happens to be one of my strengths and I don't mind research papers...certainly not as much as I mind testing! Tests make me nervous.

Seeker: How do I edit a post? Sorry for the newbie question embarrassed

Also, good point about the paperwork being a a reprieve, I hadn't thought of it that way. The truth is that paperwork in general doesn't bother me but if it ended up being most of the job (such as the case worker example mentioned by amother) it might turn me off.

I absolutely agree with classroom learning but somebody suggested an online degree and I thought I might as well look into it. All in all, I think I would be more successful learning in a classroom.

After posting yesterday, I also thought to search Iamamother for posts about social work and found a lot of information that way. Cool

Thanks again!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 3:12 pm
As an MHC I need to say this even though it will upset some of you.

You will NOT learn nearly as much as you need to doing an online degree. Sure you will eventually do an internship but a majority of my training is from in school discussion, practicum, peer supervision etc. I have worked with talented people who have done online degrees in this field and their overall knowledge and skill is really not on par with the professionals who have actually sat in class.

It is not a knowledge based field as much as it is skill based and I don't feel you can hone the skills well enough in an online program. Even with the required on site internships.

(I've done a different degree online and even though it is labor intensive you cannot compare it to the experience of sitting in class with real people and professors)

If you are looking to do this in the easiest way possible do it online. But if you have any respect for the integrity of the field and aha it means to have peoples emotions (and possibly lives) in your hands, get the education the right way.

I feel very strongly about this work, and this issue.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:18 pm
OP

Pink Amother:
Thanks for your response, I am inclined to agree with you. I was only looking into it as an option because someone mentioned it.

To current social workers:
I am a little bit worried about going into this field after researching expected income. Am I crazy to put so much money into student loans (it will be a big financial burden, as we have no money set aside for this right now) when social work salaries are so low? How do you manage?

My husband is working, so it will be a second income but I am definitely nervous about being able to pay back my loans and whether the investment is worth it.

Welcoming all feedback!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics