Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Heating up food but not the house

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:15 pm
I know that it's early to worry about Shavuos, but I'm trying to figure this out. My kitchen gets incredibly hot from leaving a flame / oven on and I would really prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

The options that I see are

a. Crockpot meals - what are YT ideas? I was thinking of pepper steak, need other ideas. This won't work for the night seudos though, because the food can only be put into the crockpot after tzeis.
b. Steak salad or grilled chicken salad served at room temperature.
c. Lighting tea lights in my oven instead of turning it on - how many tea lights do I need? Is this safe?

(I am only looking for ideas for fleishig seudos. I may leave a toaster oven on a Shabbos clock to server milchigs, but we have fleishigs at every seudah.)

(anon because I've asked many ppl IRL already)

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:32 pm
Oops - this was supposed to be under Yom Tov. Don't know how it got here.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:37 pm
Will you be cooking on YT or in advance and than warming up the food?

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:39 pm
Tea lights in the oven is DANGEROUS! !! I've heard of cases where the flames came together and exploded!!
I use a hot plate on a timer which doesn't heat up the house that much...

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:40 pm
We put tea lights under the Blech. It keeps the food hot for three hours.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:27 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Will you be cooking on YT or in advance and than warming up the food?

Either or could work

busydev

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:39 pm
I use my crockpot as a blech/plata on y"t. wrap up the precooked food and put it in or on the crockpot to warm. It doesnt even take that long IME (esp if you were to serve something fridge/room temp for the first course.) you may need more then one crock pot or different sizes depending how much food you have.

look into a plata (on a timer)

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 9:13 pm
I do as busydev.

lfab

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:23 pm
I usually use a hot plate on a timer. I also used tealights in my oven once when we messed up with the timer and it didn't go on for the day meals. If doing this though just be sure to spread them out (I put them on a cookie sheet on bottom of oven to make it easier to get in) so that the flames can't come together. Also be sure to keep checking on them just to be sure no dangerous situation arises.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:58 pm
I used two crockpots on Pesach. One I had on high the other on low. The one on high, I cooked all kinds of veggies in 2-3 hours each batch. If you add no liquid and take the lid off half way through they taste almost roasted. They were really yummy. I did a mix of eggplant, sweet potato and peppers and I did fresh broccoli. You can also cook meat and chicken in 3-4 hours instead.

For the second days, I put up the lunch after dinner so by the morning we had a really yummy chicken and artichoke stew. It took so much stress off my yomtov. I really reccomend using crockpots in the summer. I am kind of an addict.

MMCH

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:44 pm
my apartment also becomes incrediably hot when things are on
I have it down to a science.

I have a plata with a timer that is on for 2 hours at night (when its not that hot outside) and 1 hour in the morning so that by the time we get home from shul everything is warm but the house isn't boiling.

If you aren't ok with leaving platas/ or blechs/ or ur oven on (which I think is the worst in terms of making the house hot)
Place food on top of your Urn, which gets really warm.

Or just make ur menu all room temperature friendly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics