Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Please help me write a request

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 10:06 pm
My child needs OT. It is being recommended by more than one teacher and I see the issues at home too.
I need to write a request to the Board of Ed of NYC for the services. I am not great at writing but need this letter to be perfect to be able to get the services my child needs. Child is almost 6 years old so these are all skills that child should've mastered already.
These are the concerns:
-has trouble staying focused (this is a key point because none of the other reasons will be enough for the board of ed)
-uses lots of pressure when writing and coloring
-has a very messy handwriting
-can not color in the lines
-can not cut a straight line or cut on a line

Please help me help my child!
Thank you

precious

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 10:13 pm
just include all those points, does your child have any other services already? just make sure to call and follow up and save a copy of your letter, etc because in my experience the letters dont do anything, and they dont even seem to receive them, its just a formality to push you off. they will probably refer you to an agency and have an evaluator come down. just keep calling and following up!!

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 10:20 pm
precious wrote:
just include all those points, does your child have any other services already? just make sure to call and follow up and save a copy of your letter, etc because in my experience the letters dont do anything, and they dont even seem to receive them, its just a formality to push you off. they will probably refer you to an agency and have an evaluator come down. just keep calling and following up!!

Ican't send it as points. It needs to be written nicely in letter format. So I need help choosing the correct wording to make a strong case.
whatever happens after I send it I will deal with then but for now I need to do this as the first step in the process.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 5:46 pm
Bump

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 6:05 pm
Is your child currently receiving any other services? Is he struggling in any academic areas? What grade is he currently in? I'm trying to formulate a letter but need more info

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
Is your child currently receiving any other services? Is he struggling in any academic areas? What grade is he currently in? I'm trying to formulate a letter but need more info

thank you.
No other services, never had.
He's in pre1a and doing well overall. We're trying to treat this asap so it didn't turn into a bigger problem in future years

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:01 pm
I have letters I have written to the doe requesting that my child be evaluated for services. I will try to get to my computer soon. If I forget, feel free to pm me.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 9:46 pm
When you write the letter..write the child's name, date of birth, address, phone # and school he attends.

To whom it may concern:
I'm writing in reference my my son/daughter...... She/he is having difficulty managing in school. His teacher report that he has trouble staying focused and often needs to be redirected. He misses important concepts taught in class. .....also has difficult writing, he uses a lot of pressure when writing and coloring, this makes any type of writing work very tedious for him to complete. He also has very messy handwriting, his pencil grip is akward. ....is still unable to color in the lines. He also still has difficulty using a scissors and cannot cut a straight line or on the line. These skills are very important as he is heading into first grade next year. I am requesting an Ot evaluation for my child. I thank you in advance for considering my request.
Sincerely,

hope this is of some use to you!

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 10:37 pm
Thank you

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:39 pm
I'm not sure if you've already sent this letter. The one written about is good, but if I were you, I'd exaggerate the issues even more than above.

I would write things like,

[Name]'s teacher is very concerned about his lack of focus in class. He often misses important concepts being taught and therefore, often requires extra help and redirection.

[Name] uses so much pressure when writing and coloring that it hurts him to write or color for extended periods of time. As a result of his extra pressure and poor pencil grip, his writing is illegible. After writing something, even he often cannot read it.

To conclude your letter, you should say something about how his problems result in an inability to function well in class now and, if he does not receive the therapy required, then his issues will only worsen and interfere with his ability to succeed in the future.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics