Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Target red card --debit

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:27 pm
So after doing a big target trip I was starting to wonder about the target debit red card. I don't like credit cards (we have but I don't want more). Has anyone gotten the debit one? How do you like it? Any fees? Hidden things you didn't expect? I shop there a lot and 5% adds up quickly. Especially on stuff I need anyways.

Anon as I discussed this IRL (although they didn't know anything about it).

TIA!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:58 pm
no hidden fees ... the debit is great cuz it takes payment directly from your back account and you dont have to make another payment. Also when ordering online, there is free shipping.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:59 pm
Do you also get the 5% off when ordering online?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
Do you also get the 5% off when ordering online?

yes!

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:47 pm
What do you need to apply? And do you get the 5% off even that first time?

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:55 pm
I had this card and my info was stolen when they had that giant security breach. I am not happy with how they handled it. They have very bad customer service surprisingly.

loveit

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:04 pm
I think I just gave them a voided check and then in the mail my target debit card was sent. 5% off always all the time, in store and online. I also use their cartwheel app to save, usually an extra 5% off of target brand items! sometimes more off on brand names! depends on whatever deals they have at the time

Optione

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:10 pm
Totally worth it! Nothing hidden

GoldFlowers

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:32 pm
For those who ordered online with the debit REDCard and got the benefits (free shipping and 5% off) when was this? I once tried to order online and my card wasn't recognized as a RED card. I was told by a rep to place the order and then they'd apply it, but they didn't. I called back and had a really frustrating time with a few customer service reps (Got bounced around a few times.) Literally had the debit card ppl on one line saying I should get free shipping and 5% off and the customer service ppl saying the debit card doesn't qualify despite the fact that I was able to direct them to the target page showing that it does. One rep finally gave me the free shipping and 5% off but said, multiple times, that he was doing it because of my frustration and the debit card doesn't qualify for the benefits and I should get a target credit card instead. I wish I could've recorded that conversation. I never tried to order online from target again.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:34 pm
IS this the card that you can only buy in select cities/states around the country?
I am in NY and apparently there is no store that you can buy the RED card in. Closest store is in Maryland I think.
Where do you all live?

ces

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
IS this the card that you can only buy in select cities/states around the country?
I am in NY and apparently there is no store that you can buy the RED card in. Closest store is in Maryland I think.
Where do you all live?

No, that's the target prepaid redcard - a different product. You purchase that card (free or $5 depending on which state) and then load it with funds which you can then spend. Different than the debit card which is available anywhere

GoldFlowers

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 11:07 pm
ces wrote:
No, that's the target prepaid redcard - a different product. You purchase that card (free or $5 depending on which state) and then load it with funds which you can then spend. Different than the debit card which is available anywhere

My story actually happened with the prepaid red card, though the facts remain the same. The target website and card reps all said it should qualify for the benefits but the system wouldn't recognize it.

So I guess my question is a bit different- did anyone with the prepaid red card successfully order online with it and get the free shipping and 5% off?

ces

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 11:11 pm
GoldFlowers wrote:
My story actually happened with the prepaid red card, though the facts remain the same. The target website and card reps all said it should qualify for the benefits but the system wouldn't recognize it.

So I guess my question is a bit different- did anyone with the prepaid red card successfully order online with it and get the free shipping and 5% off?

I ordered online once with a prepaid redcard and automatically got 5% off and free shipping. And on another occasion had the same situation as you, it didn't recognize it as a redcard and didn't give off. I emailed CS, they wrote back saying it was an Amex and not a redcard. I responded and pointed out it was an Amex Redcard, and they refunded my 5% and shipping

GoldFlowers

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 11:23 pm
ces wrote:
I ordered online once with a prepaid redcard and automatically got 5% off and free shipping. And on another occasion had the same situation as you, it didn't recognize it as a redcard and didn't give off. I emailed CS, they wrote back saying it was an Amex and not a redcard. I responded and pointed out it was an Amex Redcard, and they refunded my 5% and shipping

Just curious, when did it work and when didn't it work?

I tried earlier this year, maybe November time... Like I said, I never tried again, mostly because I use Walmart and Amazon prime and those meet my needs. I suppose if I ever have the issue again, I'd email customer service instead of calling.

ces

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:03 am
GoldFlowers wrote:
Just curious, when did it work and when didn't it work?

I tried earlier this year, maybe November time... Like I said, I never tried again, mostly because I use Walmart and Amazon prime and those meet my needs. I suppose if I ever have the issue again, I'd email customer service instead of calling.

I think it worked in March and didn't in April. But there have been many reports of the same issue, not automatically getting the 5% off/ free shipping. Definitely a pain but afaik everyone has gotten it by contacting cs.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:07 am
In regards to the actual debit card, how safe do people find their info? That is my biggest fear. And if you get the credit card, are there user fees? (Besides interest if you let the balance roll over, which I wouldn't! The 5% isn't worth the high interest they charge!!!) Someone said (I think on another blog I read) that you could pay it off immediately at customer service- how does that work?

loveit

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:04 am
I think you just go up to customer service desk and say you want to make a payment on your account. You might even be able to do that at the reg cashier, not sure. My mother in law does this all the time with credit cards at Macy's, Ann Taylor, etc so she can take advantage of cardholder promotions and discounts but never wants to worry about a balance.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:59 am
I use the credit and pay my balance in full every month and there are no fees at all.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:44 pm
I have the debit card and never had any issues. I always get the 5% off online and in store and free shipping. There are never any fees. The only thing you need to be careful of is overdrafts. It takes a few days for the money to be debited from your bank account.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics