Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos :)

israelgirl

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 6:56 pm
PLEASE can I get some menu's for a whole Shabbos this week. I'm looking to make a really nice and yummy Shabbos as I'm having special company . I like lots of salads and dips , but mainly need help with the main course Friday night and seudas shlishis.

Also, how can I make an amazing chicken soup?

TIA!!!!

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 7:24 pm
Amazing chicken soup? Here's my recipe:

Boil chicken parts--either a whole chicken or a bunch of bottoms or necks--I think my favorite has been the bottoms. Make sure the water is boiling for at least an hour. Then add veggies--at a minimum, onions and carrots. I like to add zucchini or celery as well. Salt and pepper, and let simmer for the rest of the day. The long time simmering, I think, just blends everything together and makes it really wonderful.

So I'd also say:
-salmon (nicer than gefilte fish in my opinion) - if you want to be really fancy do several kinds of fish, either a couple different kinds of salmon, or salmon + a tuna salad, or add gefilte fish, etc.
-dips might include hummus, olive oil + balsamic vinegar, guacamole, matbucha (sorry, I'm bad with dips)
-don't forget a bunch of different colors in your salads for visual appeal -- use purple cabbage for one, different colored peppers for another, etc.

Main course--what about brisket or roast beef or corned beef, instead of or in addition to chicken?

For shaloshudos, I like to make one thing new that I didn't serve at the other meals, just so it has a special feel too, and not just "leftovers." Maybe sushi?

Hope that helps!

Kitten

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 7:52 pm
Tell us how "traditional" it needs to be...

Lani22

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:59 pm
Fri night- gefilte fish, chumus, babaganoush, olive dip, whole roasted garlic heads to spread on chalah, nice tossed salad (arugala, pomegranate seeds, red onion, manderin oranges) chicken soup, brisket, stuffed capons, indivudual potatoe kugels, israeli couscous, roasted assorted vegies, berry crisp. Chocolate mousse and fruit. Shabbas lunch, poached salmon, dill dip, chumus, babaganoush, coleslaw, cucumber salad, hearts of palm acacado salad. . Chulent, corned beef, shnitzel, turkey roast, apple crisp, potatoe kugel from chulent, carrot muffins, sticky greenbeans. Chocolate chip sticks, ice cream, sorbet, fruit. Shaloh shudes- assorted rolls, pitas, dips, leftover salmon and gefilte fish, lox, assorted cheeses, tuna and egg salad, ceasar salad, israeli salad, sesame noodles.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 10:09 pm
Lani22 wrote:
Fri night- gefilte fish, chumus, babaganoush, olive dip, whole roasted garlic heads to spread on chalah, nice tossed salad (arugala, pomegranate seeds, red onion, manderin oranges) chicken soup, brisket, stuffed capons, indivudual potatoe kugels, israeli couscous, roasted assorted vegies, berry crisp. Chocolate mousse and fruit. Shabbas lunch, poached salmon, dill dip, chumus, babaganoush, coleslaw, cucumber salad, hearts of palm acacado salad. . Chulent, corned beef, shnitzel, turkey roast, apple crisp, potatoe kugel from chulent, carrot muffins, sticky greenbeans. Chocolate chip sticks, ice cream, sorbet, fruit. Shaloh shudes- assorted rolls, pitas, dips, leftover salmon and gefilte fish, lox, assorted cheeses, tuna and egg salad, ceasar salad, israeli salad, sesame noodles.

All that? How many people is she feeding, anyhow?

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 10:17 pm
zaq wrote:
All that? How many people is she feeding, anyhow?

This. That sounds like an insane amount of food.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 10:58 pm
people have been to my shabbos table - gotta be anon!

My 'best' shabbosos menu (when I am not taking it easy, or pinching pennies):

homemade challah
homemade pita chips
chumus / matbucha / guacamole / garlic mayo
-
salmon with cucumber slices
-
schnitzel
hearts of palm salad
fresh spinach salad
apple crisp
hassle back potatoes
-
some kind of cookies/bars
homemade ice cream

Shabbos day is mostly the same, plus cholent with kishka, with chicken and lettuce salad in place of chicken cutlets, and I don't serve the potatoes.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 11:03 pm
amother above-
I forgot the chicken soup!
Sautee onions on med/low heat 30 minutes, brown the chicken pieces on all sides in the onions, add celery, parsnip, roasted garlic cloves and carrots, bring to boil, and then simmer 3 hours. I add zucchini, kneidelach (and sometimes sweet potatoes) when I reheat it so the cook for the 20 minutes until I shut the stove off to light the shabbos candles.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 2:30 am
for the chicken soup I put in chicken karkass ( bones) turkey neck. carrots zucchini.

in a net bag I add the onion garlic celery and whatever else I throw away.

salt pepper curry onion garlic parsley.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note