Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Its that time of year !!!Dairy recipes needed!!
Previous  1  2  3  4

tigerwife

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:14 pm
blimy2 wrote:
Cheese Canoles (Canolies)

Totally heaven and so easy to make! Look professional without too much effort.
You can decorate as you wish. I personally like to dip the ends in melted milky chocolate and then into caramelized nuts for that extra crunch!

SERVING/YIELD-40
PREP TIME-20 min
INGREDIENTS
1 9% Tnuva Soft Cheese (G'vinah Levana)
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
Cigars
Chocolate

1.Combine the 9% and cream cheese. Mix in the sugar and vanilla sugar.
2.Whip up the whip and and combine with the mixture.
3.Fill the cigars and decorate to your liking.
Eat and enjoy!

Anyone made these yet?
I filled the wafers 'standing up'- so one end has the cheese mixture sticking out like a peak, and I imagine the other end is flat. Any better way to do this?

Also, I filled one container of the wafer rolls but still have tons of filling left. What can I do with the rest of the filling? Think I can add an egg and bake it as a cheese cake in a graham cracker crust?

etky

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:15 pm
Amarante wrote:
I'm surprised you can't find in Israel because it's a standard Eastern European/Ashkenazi food and what my family always used for blintz fillings. In the US, you can find in the dairy or cheese section in places where there is a Jewish and/or Russian/Eastern European population.

It's also called pot cheese or farmer cheese. It's essentially "dry" cottage cheese because cottage cheese has cream put back into it and farmer's cheese is dry and can be shaped into a block.

I don't think ricotta is a replacement since it is generally a bit wetter.

If you can't find pot cheese/farmer's cheese in Israel, the replacement would be to take the moisture out of regular cottage cheese. You can do this by squeezing the wet cottage cheese through cheese cloth to get the moisture out and then put in the refrigerator uncovered to get rid of more moisture. You do want it quite dry. I think you need 32 ounces of the wet stuff to get the equivalent of the "dry curd".

Or drain in a lined colander according to this recipe - like people used to do to make yogurt cheese.

Farmer cheese is simply cottage cheese that has been drained of all the whey. Pour it into a colander lined with cheesecloth, then place a weighted plate over it, or squeeze-twist it until you get the desired texture.

ETA - In googling, it appears that Canaan Cheese might bew closer to Farmer's Cheese as it appears to be a dry cottage type of cheese versus a creamier cheese but I have no first hand knowledge.

OT again, but surprisingly, East European Ashkenazi dairy dishes have never been popular in Israel other than perhaps in the haredi world. The fleishigs variety has become even somewhat trendy in the past decade or so as a 'retro' thing but typical old world dishes that you would find in a traditional milchigs "Jewish" restaurant in the States are still very hard to find here on restaurant menus: latkes, pierogi, kasha varnishkes, knishes, all kinds of blintzes with sour cream, creamed herring, cheese noodle kugel, fried kreplach, mushroom barley soup, egg barley, creamed spinach, borsht and schav with sour cream (think Ratners in its heydey....). Judging from the type of cuisine that is popular here on cookery programs and in magazines and cookbooks, I don't think that most people make them with any great frequency at home either. Except perhaps for the really older generation (maybe), it's just not how people cook here.

etky

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:24 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Anyone made these yet?
I filled the wafers 'standing up'- so one end has the cheese mixture sticking out like a peak, and I imagine the other end is flat. Any better way to do this?

Also, I filled one container of the wafer rolls but still have tons of filling left. What can I do with the rest of the filling? Think I can add an egg and bake it as a cheese cake in a graham cracker crust?

How many wafer rolls did you fill? I bought 2 packages of 18. Will I still have too much? I think your idea for utilizing the extra filling sounds really good. Maybe use 2 eggs though.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:38 pm
what would I buy in israel? Not sure what wafer rolls are or cigars- never seen anything like that here. But the recipe sounds delish and I'd love to give it a go!

boysmom4

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:48 pm
sold in most baking supplies stores in israel

tigerwife

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:15 pm
etky wrote:
How many wafer rolls did you fill? I bought 2 packages of 18. Will I still have too much? I think your idea for utilizing the extra filling sounds really good. Maybe use 2 eggs though.

I bought one package of the M'eden brand wafer rolls (clear round container)- but I could have easily filled three packages!
Blimy2, how many pieces do you usually get?

boysmom4

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 4:02 am
2 packs of 18 rolls
with a little extra

etky

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:14 am
So I just put the cannoli in the freezer. Got DD to help me fill them. It really was a piece of cake. I added half a package of white chocolate flavored pudding to the mixture because DD felt it was missing something - maybe b/c I used dairy whipped cream and not pre-sweetened, flavored whip.
I had some mixture left over. I probably could have filled another batch of 18 wafer rolls (to make a total of 54).
I crushed some oreos and layered them with the left over filling in a small aluminum pan and stuck it in the freezer too. Tomorrow maybe I will dip the frozen cannoli in the melted chocolate. Maybe I'll even sneak one to get a preview before I serve them on Shavuot.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:36 pm
Lemon Curd and Blueberry Trifle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Bon Appetit
Serving Size: 10

Ingredients:

Lemon curd

1 1/3 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs, beaten to blend

Lemon syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon (packed) grated lemon peel

Filling
1 package 8-ounce cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2-pint containers fresh blueberries
1 12-ounce purchased pound cake, cut into 1-inch cubes

Directions:

For lemon curd:
Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in eggs. Whisk constantly over medium-low heat until curd thickens, about 2 minutes (do not boil). Strain curd through sieve into bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd; chill overnight.

For lemon syrup:
Combine all ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Cool.

For filling:
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup whipping cream, and vanilla in large bowl until smooth. Beat 2 cups whipping cream and 1/4 cup sugar in another large bowl until peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture in 2 additions.

Puree 1 container blueberries and 1/4 cup lemon syrup in processor. Transfer to medium bowl. Add 1 1/2 containers blueberries and mash with potato masher until chunky puree forms. Reserve remaining blueberries for garnish.

Arrange 1/3 of pound cake cubes (about 2 generous cups) in bottom of 14-cup glass trifle dish. Drizzle with 7 tablespoons lemon syrup. Spoon 1/3 of cream cheese filling (about 2 cups) over cake in dollops; spread to sides of dish. Spoon half of blueberry puree over; spread to sides of dish. Spoon half of lemon curd (about 1 1/4 cups) over blueberry puree in dollops, then spread to sides of dish. Repeat layering with 1/3 of cake cubes, 7 tablespoons lemon syrup, 1/3 of cream cheese filling, and remaining blueberry puree, then remaining cake cubes, 7 tablespoons lemon syrup, and remaining lemon curd. Spread remaining cream cheese filling over. Sprinkle with reserved blueberries. Cover and chill overnight. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Spoon trifle into dessert dishes.

Notes:

The ideal summer dessert and make-ahead treat (it can chill for two days before serving). Instead of the traditional custard, whipped cream folded into cream cheese is the easy filling in this version.

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:03 am
etky wrote:

I crushed some oreos and layered them with the left over filling in a small aluminum pan and stuck it in the freezer too. Tomorrow maybe I will dip the frozen cannoli in the melted chocolate. Maybe I'll even sneak one to get a preview before I serve them on Shavuot.

That's a great idea- maybe I'll do this in little mouse cups.
Except the leftover filling is still sitting in my fridge from 3 days ago... hope it's still good.

mochacoffee

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:07 am
Cheesecake Brownies

Chocolate Batter:
• 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate chopped (or chocolate chips)
• 6 oz. butter
• 3 eggs
• 1 ½ cups sugar
• 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons cocoa
• ½ teaspoon salt

Cream Cheese Batter:
• 8 oz. cream cheese
• One 9 oz. container Tnuva 95% or 97% Fat Free Creamy Soft Cheese
• 3.5 oz. butter, melted
• 3 eggs beaten
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¾ cups sugar
• 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
• Optional-confectioners’ sugar to garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an lightly flour a 9x13 inch pan, or line bottom and sides with parchment paper affixed with oil.
Chocolate batter: melt chocolate and butter together in the microwave for 1-4 minutes, until shiny but not fully melted. Remove and stir until fully melted. (or melt in a double boiler) Transfer chocolate-butter mixture to a bowl, add the rest of ingredients for chocolate batter and mix well. Pour into prepared pan.
Cheese batter: beat all the cheese ingredients together with a wooden spoon or whisk until smooth. Pour cheese batter into pan over the chocolate batter. Gently swirl batters together using tip of a knife.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool, chill and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.

etky

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 12:49 pm
tigerwife wrote:
That's a great idea- maybe I'll do this in little mouse cups.
Except the leftover filling is still sitting in my fridge from 3 days ago... hope it's still good.

So I tasted the wafer rolls and the oreo leftover thing that I made and honestly the oreos thing is better!
The chocolate oreos give more of a contra to the vanilla flavored filling. The oreo thing - I guess I could call it a frozen cheesecake - actually tastes best not straight out of the freezer but rather a drop defrosted. Yummy.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:19 am
OK, so just had to update AGAIN (about the leftover cigar filling)- So I added two eggs to filling and whisked it together, divided in half, added cocoa and chocolate to one half and then alternated filling a graham cracker crust. And... It's yummy! Tastes like cheese snack! So BH it worked out after all and I think I even would keep this revised recipe:
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
2 eggs
2 TBSP Good Quality Cocoa
Half a milchig Rosemary chocolate bar, melted in the microwave

Whip the whip, combine cheeses with sugars, combine everything and mix in the eggs. Divide mix in half and mix in cocoa and chocolate to one bowl. Fill a graham cracker crust alternating the chocolate and white mixtures to get a marbly affect. Bake an hour on 350f/180c and then leave in the oven for at least half an hour to set.

etky

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:41 am
tigerwife wrote:
OK, so just had to update AGAIN (about the leftover cigar filling)- So I added two eggs to filling and whisked it together, divided in half, added cocoa and chocolate to one half and then alternated filling a graham cracker crust. And... It's yummy! Tastes like cheese snack! So BH it worked out after all and I think I even would keep this revised recipe:
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
2 eggs
2 TBSP Good Quality Cocoa
Half a milchig Rosemary chocolate bar, melted in the microwave

Whip the whip, combine cheeses with sugars, combine everything and mix in the eggs. Divide mix in half and mix in cocoa and chocolate to one bowl. Fill a graham cracker crust alternating the chocolate and white mixtures to get a marbly affect. Bake an hour on 350f/180c and then leave in the oven for at least half an hour to set.

Glad it worked out for you. Sounds great!
Truth is- as we've seen in this thread- the basic recipe is so versatile and easy that with some additions and a little creativity you can use it as a base for lots of things aside from the 'cannoli': baked cheesecake, refrigerator/freezer cheesecake, cheesecake in a jar (or cups) etc.
All that's left to do now is eat our yummy creations (preferably not all by ourselves...).
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics