Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Need good recipes without margarine.
1  2  Next

joy613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 8:49 pm
We're trying to stop using margarine here. But we like to have good baked goods.

I know many one bowl cakes which don't need margarine but we had enough of those plain cakes and I'm looking for either a cookie recipe or something more exciting.

All the recipes I'm finding in cookbooks have margarine. Do you think it's really necessary? how do I know when I can substitute oil and when it will not work?

Saw a kokosh cake recipe with margarine- anyone made it with oil?
Does anyone have good tried and true oil recipes?
also- nothing with coffee/rum or nuts because the kids dont go for those tastes.

thanks!

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 8:57 pm
I almost never use margarine. I make a pie with kind of a baked cookie dough in the middle called Chocolate Town Pie. Let me know if you want the recipe. I also sometimes make a strawberry Bundt cake which is really easy once you have pureed the strawberries.

This Is my go to chocolate chip cookie recipe. (I sub vanilla extract for the almond extract). They are AMAZING!

I also have a recipe for Banana Cake, and one for Peanut Butter bars which work fine with oil.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:03 pm
Levana's chocolate chip cookies.

lovingmother

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:10 pm
out-of-towner your recipes sound really yummy!! Any chance they can be make with something other than white sugar?
As for OP, I have been baking for 12 years and I only buy margarine once a year - for hamantaschen. Other than that I use oil. I have found a lot of good recipes by typing into google - example, banana chocolate chip cake made with oil. Just substitute whatever it is that you are looking for. If you are looking for a specific cake/cookie I would be happy to post recipes.

notme

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:12 pm
http://www.aish.com/f/r/48956716.htmlaish oil cookies

The chocolate chip sticks are really good.

notme

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:14 pm
out of towner can I have the recipe for peanut butter bars? sound so good!

Debbig

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:16 pm
Overtimecook.com has a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe.
http://overtimecook.com/2014/0.....tter/
Enjoy and good luck.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:21 pm
I always substitute oil for margarine. Everything tastes the same!

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:38 pm
I bake often and rarely use margarine. I'll post some tried and true recipes below.

Cherry Cobbler
• 2 cups flour
• ¾ cups sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
• ½ cup of oil
• 1 egg
• 1 can cherry pie filling

Mix together all ingredients except cherry pie filling to make a crumble. Grease a pirex dish (8 or 9 inch) and pour half of crumble into the dish. Pat down the crumble to evenly distribute along the bottom of the dish. Pour the cherry pie filling on top of the crumble. Pour the remaining crumble on top of the filling to cover. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour.

Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 loaf pans.
Beat eggs and sugar in bowl until fluffy. Add flour and oil alternately. Add vanilla sugar and baking powder. Mix until combined.

Pour about 1/4 of batter into each loaf pan. Drizzle 2 tbsp choc syrup over the batter. Use a knife to make it "swirly/marbled". Add 1/4 cup of choc chips over each syrup-ed batter. Divide the remaining half of the batter between the two pans. Drizzle batter again with choc syrup and sprinkle each with the remaining choc chips.

Bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.

Chocolate Chip Biscotti
• 3 eggs
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup oil
• 1/2 tsp lemon juice (I didn't have so omitted and it was delicious, one time used OJ, added a nice flavor)
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 1/2 cups flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 cup chocolate chips
• cinnamon/sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Grease baking sheet.
Beat eggs, sugar, oil, lemon juice, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Shape into 2 logs on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
(I didn't do the last part because we liked it soft, not hard and crunchy. If you do want it crunchier do the last part)
Cut logs into slices and place cut side down on baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar and bake another 5 minutes.

Cookies with a Twist
Ingredients:
• eggs - 3
• sugar - 1 cup
• oil - 3/4 cup
• flour - 3 cups
• baking powder - 2 tsp
• orange juice - 2 tsp
• Topping:
• sugar - 1/2 cup
• cinnamon - 1 tbsp
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Place eggs, sugar, and oil in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until combined. Add flour, baking powder, and orange juice and pulse until just combined and dough forms.
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Using about 1 Tbsp of dough for each cookie, roll into a long rope and dip in the sugar mixture. Fold in half and twist. Place in a lined baking sheet and bake until bottoms are just starting to brown, about 12–14 minutes.

Variation: For a dressier, more exotic flavor, add 1–2 tsp orange zest to the dough. I also added 1 tsp orange extract. Change half the amount of cinnamon to ground coriander — it’s divine. Serve with tea.

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:41 pm
Zebra Cookies (from Susie Fishbein's cookbook)
• ½ C. canola oil
• 2 C. sugar
• 2 C. flour
• 1 C. cocoa
• 4 large eggs
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• Confectioner’s sugar (at least 1 ½ cups).

Place all ingredients in a bowl except confectioners sugar and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or mix by hand. Form balls (about teaspoon and a half of batter) and roll generously around in the confectioner’s sugar. Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake for exactly 12 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.

For this recipe you might need to google images of how to do the design but it's really not hard. The design is a striped chocolate vanilla effect that's really cool. The cake is delicious and always a hit.
Zebra Cake
• 4 eggs
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup oil
• 3 cups flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• Pinch salt
• 1 cup seltzer
• 4 tablespoons cocoa
• 2-3 tablespoons hot water

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat eggs, using whisk until volume increases. It should be foamy and thickened. Approximately 2-3 minutes.
Add sugar, vanilla, and oil and continue whisking until well blended.
Combine flour with baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Stir until fully mixed.
Gradually add flour mixture and alternate with seltzer into the egg mixture bowl, while continuing to whisk. You will use this for both mixtures, half will be the white batter, half will be the chocolate.
In a separate bowl, combine 4 tablespoons cocoa with hot water. Begin with 2 tablespoons of hot water and add 1 more tablespoon as needed. The mixture should form a paste and resemble the consistency of peanut butter. Smooth out all the lumps; it should be smooth.
Separate the batter. Mix half of it with the chocolate paste. Mix until perfectly incorporated. No chocolate lumps should remain.
Take two 8 or 9 inch round pans or 1 9x13 pan, spray with pam and dust with flour.

To create the zebra design:
Using a spoon place a small circle (about a tablespoon-2) of white batter into the middle of the prepared pan. Place another similar sized circle of the chocolate batter directly into the middle of the first white circle. Alternate with a circle of the white batter, each time aiming for the center. As you continue alternating colors the circles will spread out into concentric circles framing it. Lightly tap the pan on the counter to further spread out the circles if necessary.
Continue the process until you finish both the chocolate and vanilla batters and pan/s are full. The finished product should look like many rings of chocolate and vanilla batters surrounding each other. Although the cake looks like concentric circles from a bird’s eye view, when it’s sliced into wedges, the design is vertical stripes.
Bake the 8 or 9 round pans for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Bake the 9x13 pan for about 45 minutes- 1 hour.
Let cool completely before frosting.
Served plain or with chocolate frosting or glaze.

joy613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:45 pm
Thank you all!!
Everything sounds good here. I'll have to pick.

lovemytwins, what is the name of the cookbook written by susie fishbein? Does she have more than one?

joy613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:46 pm
Outoftowner, if you don't mind I would love that recipe for your chocolate town pie.
Whenever you get a chance.
thanks!

joy613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:48 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I always substitute oil for margarine. Everything tastes the same!

really? even cookies? I recently tried making black and white cookies with oil instead of margarine and they came out horrible. That's why I'm looking for tried and true.

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 10:16 pm
She has around five cookbooks. Only that one recipe is from her cookbook, the rest I've accumulated throughout the years, I don't remember from where.
I think the zebra cookie recipe is from her book Short on Time

joy613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:05 pm
thanks.

sky

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:09 pm
This cookie recipe is fantastic. I make it as bars, sticks, cookies. I always doubles it. Sometimes drizzle it. They are fantastic.
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....d=991

This is the same recipe with spices. It is so good. I love it with melted white chocolate icing.
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....58651

Fantastic Sugar Cookies. Works great with cookie cutters:
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....58199

Chocolate Chip Cookies:
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....mid=2

Blondies:

Apple or blueberry pie:

Bais Yaakov cookbook has a fantastic Cranberry Biscotti recipe.

heidi

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 1:39 am
lovemytwins wrote:
Zebra Cookies (from Susie Fishbein's cookbook)
• ½ C. canola oil
• 2 C. sugar
• 2 C. flour
• 1 C. cocoa
• 4 large eggs
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• Confectioner’s sugar (at least 1 ½ cups).

Place all ingredients in a bowl except confectioners sugar and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or mix by hand. Form balls (about teaspoon and a half of batter) and roll generously around in the confectioner’s sugar. Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake for exactly 12 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.

I love Susie Fishbeins cookbooks and bake only with oil, but this recipe never ever works for me. The dough is so mushy and difficult to work with.

m in Israel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:06 am
heidi wrote:
I love Susie Fishbeins cookbooks and bake only with oil, but this recipe never ever works for me. The dough is so mushy and difficult to work with.

That is how the recipe is supposed to be. I have a few variations of this recipe (got it before it came out in the cookbook Smile ), and they are delicious but I don't make them often because the dough is a huge pain to work with. A trick is to try to keep your hands wet when making the balls -- it sticks less. Also, you can drop it into the confectionery sugar without the balls being perfect circles -- they spread out anyway and you get to handle it less.

(I actually have a KLP non-gebrochts version of this cookie, too, which actually tastes really similar -- but is ALSO a very sticky hard to work with dough!)

m in Israel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:14 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
really? even cookies? I recently tried making black and white cookies with oil instead of margarine and they came out horrible. That's why I'm looking for tried and true.

Cookies are definitely more tricky to replace the margarine. A general rule is that if the batter is a more loose type that you drop from a spoon (I.e. chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies), you can probably replace the margarine. If it is a thicker texture -- the type you can roll out and cut shapes from (like hamentachen) it is much harder to replace and you probably need to adjust other parts of the recipe.

I make yummy oatmeal raisin cookies with only oil (and I actually use ww flour in it, too. My kids generally are not so into whole wheat but they really don't notice at all in this recipe):

Oatmeal Raisin/Craisin Cookies

1 cup oil (or a drop less)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins/craisins

Beat oil with sugars (it will not fluff up like margarine does, but that is fine). Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Then add dry ingredients and mix well. Add craisins and mix until just combined.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheets (parchment paper is ok) for 8 - 10 minutes at 175 C (350 F).

This recipe makes about 40 to 50 cookies, but I usually double it if I want it to last more than a few hours Very Happy

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:33 am
I have subbed oil for margarine in just about anything and it has always been fine. If you're really worried about the texture, like for a crust or something, maybe try subbing palm oil or coconut oil which congeal at a higher temperature, similar to shortening.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins