Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Need good recipes without margarine.
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:38 am
lovingmother wrote:
out-of-towner your recipes sound really yummy!! Any chance they can be make with something other than white sugar?
As for OP, I have been baking for 12 years and I only buy margarine once a year - for hamantaschen. Other than that I use oil. I have found a lot of good recipes by typing into google - example, banana chocolate chip cake made with oil. Just substitute whatever it is that you are looking for. If you are looking for a specific cake/cookie I would be happy to post recipes.

And my go to hamantashen recipe has oil.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:40 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
really? even cookies? I recently tried making black and white cookies with oil instead of margarine and they came out horrible. That's why I'm looking for tried and true.

I don't know if substituting with oil works universally. But there are many fine oil recipes. I found some on www.chatzos.com, in the food forum.

ETA: I mentioned Levana upthread. She eschews hydrogenated fat and has other recipes, including a very decent babka that I haven't make in years, but it is good.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:44 am
I always use this chart for butter or margarine substitutions. I never bake with margarine and my goodies still come out good (if I may say so myself Wink ).

http://www.goodcooking.com/con.....l.htm

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:47 am
I use these:

http://earthbalancenatural.com.....ning/

Hat tip to Chatouli for introducing me to these!

happy to be me

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:01 am
I generally use oil and just cream it with the eggs for longer.
Cocnut oil is more solid and works great too.
If a recipe really needs the margarine then you can use the nonhydrogenated margarine.

Liebs

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:22 am
Cinnamon Coffee Cake (from Ami)

1 c. oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 c. apple juice
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
½ tsp salt
Mix wet ingredients first. Mix dry ingredients separately. Mix just until combined.

Cinnamon Swirl (mix with ¼ of batter)
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. apple sauce
2 tsp cinnamon

Directions: Pour ¾ of batter in bundt pan or 9x13. Add swirl to ¼ of batter and marbleize the cake.

Bake on 350 for 1 hour

Add any white glaze on top

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:17 am
I haven't forgotten about you all! Just had to find time to find and type up the recipes:

Chocolate town Pie: (Adapted from The Hershey Cookbook)

1 graham cracker crust (the original recipe says to use a Frozen pie crust, but this works just as well if not better)
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil or margarine
2 tsp vanilla or 2 Tbsp bourbon
1/2 cup all purpose flour (whole wheat works too)
1 cup sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Cream the oil, sugar and eggs. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until golden. Let cool an hour before serving.

I have added Peanut butter and other flavors of chips (white chocolate, caramel exc) for an interesting taste.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:24 am
Peanut Butter Bars: (from Classic Kosher Cooking by Sara Finkel, reprinted in Mishpacha)

2/3 cup margarine or 1/2-2/3 cup oil
1-1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4-1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter
4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour (whole wheat works)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6-12 oz chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix oil, sugars, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Pour it into an oiled 9x13 (or 2 8x8s). Sprinkle chocolate chips generously over the top. Bake for 5 minutes. Take it out of the oven and use a knife to swirl the chocolate chips through the cake. Turn the oven to 350F and bake for another half hour.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:12 am
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake sounds weird but the end result is excellent. I think it was invented during WW II because of shortages of butter but it became a favorite. You can top with chocolate frosting. It's a very moist crumb.

CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE

INGREDIENTS

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
1 1/3 cups water

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans*; set aside.
In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. On wire racks, cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely. Frost, if desired, or sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
*Or, prepare cake mix as above in 13 x 9-inch baking pan and bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:19 am
This is a much fancier cake. Olive Oil cakes have become very trendy.

Chocolate, Orange, and Almond Olive Oil Cake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan

Ingredients:

For The Cake

3 ⁄4 cup organic all-purpose flour
1⁄ 2 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
3 ⁄4 cup organic granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄ 2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1⁄ 4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1⁄ 2 cup ground roasted unpeeled whole almonds, divided
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1⁄ 3 cup fruity olive oil, such as arbequina
Finely grated zest of 2 large oranges, preferably organic
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1⁄ 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1⁄ 2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 recipe Chocolate Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
1 ounce Marcona almonds, coarsely chopped (or use more whole almonds chopped and sprinkled with sea salt)
Flaked sea salt, for serving (optional)

Chocolate Orange Glaze

Finely grated zest of 1 large organic orange
1⁄ 4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, strained
3 1⁄2 ounces dark chocolate (70 to 72%), very finely chopped
2 teaspoons fruity extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄ 4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1⁄ 8 teaspoon fine sea salt

Directions:

Instructions

Preparation

Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 350°F. Oil the cake pan and line the bottom with a parchment circle. Do not oil the parchment.
Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder to the strainer and stir with a whisk to sift the ingredients into the bowl. (If any small bits remain in the strainer, add them to the mixture in the bowl.) Add 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the ground almonds and stir with a wire whisk to combine and aerate the mixture.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange juice, oil, zest, vinegar, and vanilla and almond extracts until completely combined. Immediately pour into the dry mixture and whisk until the batter is smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Rotate the pan to level the batter and tap it lightly on the counter. Bake for 43 to 45 minutes or until the cake is dark golden-brown, the sides have started to pull away from the pan, and a wooden toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs. The cake will have risen considerably, but will become more compact as it cools.

Place the pan on a wire rack. Carefully run a thin knife between the cake and the inside of the pan. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack. Remove the bottom of the pan and the parchment paper. If the bottom of the cake feels very wet, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the reserved ground almonds, pressing lightly so they adhere. Cool the cake completely without inverting it. Make the glaze while the cake cools.

Glaze Preparation

Combine the zest, orange juice, and chocolate in a small saucepan. Cook over the lowest heat until the chocolate begins to melt. Remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the glaze is smooth. Stir in the olive oil, vanilla extract, and salt.

Assemble The Cake
Sprinkle a serving plate with the remaining ground whole almonds. The almonds will keep the moist cake from sticking to the plate. Slide a 9-inch cardboard cake board under the cake and gently slide the cake off the board onto the plate. It will be bottom side up.

Drizzle or spread the Chocolate Orange Glaze on top of the cake and sprinkle with the Marcona almonds. Refrigerate the cake until the glaze is set.

Notes:

Serving
Slice the cake cold but serve at room temperature with the optional sprinkling of flaked sea salt. Drizzle the plates with olive oil if using.

Keeping
I like the texture and flavor of the cake best the day it is made, but the cake will hold overnight at room temperature loosely wrapped in parchment. The cake freezes well for up to one month with no loss of flavor, but do not add the chopped nuts until the cake is defrosted. Wrap the cake tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap and slip it into a large zipper-lock bag. Defrost the cake unwrapped. Refrigerate the glaze in a covered container for up to three days. Allow the glaze to return to room temperature before using.
Notes

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:21 am
And this is a much simpler Olive Oil Cake - the Lemon Olive Cake is pretty classic Italian.

Lemon Olive Oil Cake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon extract
2 nectarines, thinly sliced
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Directions:

To make the Lemon Cake

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a Bundt pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, maple syrup, water, lemon juice and zest, and lemon extract. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.

Fill the prepared Bundt pan evenly with batter. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Be sure to rotate halfway through the baking time. Cool the cake completely before unmolding.

To make the Grilled Nectarines
Preheat a grill or stovetop grill pan. Lightly brush nectarine slices with oil and grill for about 1 to 3 minutes until nice grill marks appear.

To serve
Plate a slice of cake and sift powdered sugar over the top. Serve with a few nectarine slices.

Notes:

Can serve with any fruit as desired or in season.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:01 am
The cinnamon swirl cake from the Ami didn't work for me.
It was delicious and everyone really liked it.

But the swirl sunk to the bottom of the pan and most of it stuck to the pan when I took the cake out the bundt pan.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins