Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Asking host to watch/listen for sleeping 1.5 yr old
Previous  1  2

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:24 pm
I wouldn't ask, but might take them up if offered. My kids, who sleep through the night perfectly well at home, never sleep well when they're away from home. It seems so easy because in theory the kid is supposed to sleep, but you really can't guarantee it, and if they do wake up, it becomes a big imposition. I would not feel good about it. We went away when my oldest was almost but not quite 1, who had been sleeping through the night for awhile already. After Shabbos, when he was already asleep for the night, the hostess insisted me and DH go out and have a little date, it's no biggie to watch a sleeping baby. We took her up on it and enjoyed ourselves, and came back at about 11, and found her soothing our crying baby. She swore up and down that he really just woke up five minutes ago, and he really did sleep almost the whole time, and really it was nothing at all. I do believe he slept most of the time, but I'm not sure I believe he really only woke five minutes before we walked in the door- it could have been 20 minutes and she just wanted to make us feel better. Anyway, my point is, babies and toddlers are unpredictable, especially when they're in a different setting, and you can't assume it will end up being no imposition. I would take him with.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:27 pm
Raisin wrote:
Absolutely, op should ask and only go ahead if the hosts are 100% on board with it.

If she does ask, it should be ahead of time - such that technically if the host says no she could opt to stay somewhere else. Otherwise the host may find herself put on the spot.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:30 pm
Perhaps you can inquire if there is a teenager at home who would be willing to be paid to listen out for the baby?

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:58 pm
My parents often host people when there's a Simcha in our neighborhood. It's usually not people they know personally, but they have mutual friends. MY parents are often asked to babysit, but the guests always ask before they come. My parents are happy to listen in to a kid. One time they couldn't because they had a Bar Mitzvah Kiddush, so they offered to ask the next door neighbor come in to babysit. I think it's fine if you or the Baal Simcha okays it with the host beforehand.

One time a baby woke up while the parents were at a Simcha, so my parents sent someone to go across the street and get the baby's mother. It was fine.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics