Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do Gdolim have a new approach towards the Agunah crisis?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Sadie

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:42 pm
iluvy wrote:

I think the blame for the agunah crisis lies on the community, on the people who say "there are two sides to every story." No one should rent an apartment to a man who refuses to give a get, or give him a job, or even speak to him. If these men were completely ostracized, gets would come through a lot faster. (And I do have a lot of sympathy for the taser solution.)

Here's what I don't get about objections to the halachic prenup- a man who gives a get out of fear of complete social and religious ostracism is definitely being coerced, and yet ostracism is a totally halachically acceptable way to compel get refusers, but a man who voluntarily compels himself through signing a halachic prenup is invalidating his own get?

marina

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:46 pm
Sadie wrote:
Here's what I don't get about objections to the halachic prenup- a man who gives a get out of fear of complete social and religious ostracism is definitely being coerced, and yet ostracism is a totally halachically acceptable way to compel get refusers, but a man who voluntarily compels himself through signing a halachic prenup is invalidating his own get?

Lol, this. A get given after a severe beating puts a guy in the hospital is somehow less coerced than a prenup get.

princessleah

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 3:22 pm
Here's my idea. All Batei Din need to "divorce" themselves from ANYTHING relating to the divorce except issuing the Get. No custody issues, finances, families, etc.
This will reduce the incentive to withhold the Get. If a man says, I am not giving it until custody issues are solved, until our finances are ironed out, the response should be-- take it to your lawyer. Work it out after the Get.

If the Get is still withheld, especially after the civil divorce is complete, there should be harsh sanctions like everyone says above. The problem is when the husband's friends and family go around telling people, you don't get the real story, blah blah blah, it's misunderstood. Separating the Beit Din and Get from whatever situation should help that. The answer should be: work EVERYTHING else out in a court of law or with your legal representation. A Get should be about a Jewish divorce, and THAT'S IT. Until the entire community adopts that viewpoint, we're kind of screwed.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:47 pm
iluvy wrote:

I think the blame for the agunah crisis lies on the community, on the people who say "there are two sides to every story." No one should rent an apartment to a man who refuses to give a get, or give him a job, or even speak to him. If these men were completely ostracized, gets would come through a lot faster. (And I do have a lot of sympathy for the taser solution.)

All those ideas are only helpful if the man is frum himself, and wants to remain in a frum community.
What about all the secular couples? Or couples where the wife is religious and the husband became secular? All this societal pressure will have no effect on a man who doesn't care or belong to that society.

A broader solution must be found.

iluvy

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 6:10 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
All those ideas are only helpful if the man is frum himself, and wants to remain in a frum community.
What about all the secular couples? Or couples where the wife is religious and the husband became secular? All this societal pressure will have no effect on a man who doesn't care or belong to that society.

A broader solution must be found.

This is true.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:56 am
PinkFridge wrote:
While annulling a marriage doesn't impact the kids, if the annulment isn't legitimate - and it might not always be - how would that impact the woman's future children from another marriage?

I did not bring up the topic of annulment. If you wish to criticize the entire concept of annulment, you are invited to respond to someone else's post.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions