Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is the world more dangerous than ever?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:08 pm
Do you feel that things are much worse than when you were a kid? Is it less safe to let your kids out unsupervised?

You'd be surprised: http://www.freerangekids.com/t.....97345

The FBI has several decades of data on missing persons now, and those numbers show that the number of missing person reports involving minors has been at record low levels in recent years. Overall, the number of these reports have fallen by 40 percent since 1997. This is more impressive when you consider that the overall U.S. population has risen by 30 percent over that same time period, meaning that the actual rate of missing person reports for children has fallen faster than 40 percent.

And of those “missing persons” (both adults and children) he adds, 96% were runaways — .1% were victims of kidnapping.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:27 pm
Most folks prefer to ignore the statistics for whatever reasons.

piegirl

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:19 pm
l really wonder about this. I'm sure that this is at least partly BECAUSE people are keeping their kids in their sites at all times. I can't imagine that there are less crazy people- only that people have become more cautious. I would LOVE to raise my kids free range and I think it would be so good for them, but the truth is that strangers won't take care of your kids. I try to give them as much freedom as I can in a world where we really can't trust anyone Sad

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:24 pm
I would imagine the numbers have decreased so significantly because people are being more vigilant with their children.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:38 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I would imagine the numbers have decreased so significantly because people are being more vigilant with their children.

If you read the link there are significant decreases in violent crimes as a whole, not just specific to crimes against minors. Community policing in smaller towns and Neighborhood Watch groups probably contribute to the lowering of the numbers as well.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Apr 25 2015, 2:29 pm
This does NOT apply to Yerushalayim at the moment- it would be nice, but that's not reality.

tigerwife

Post Sat, Apr 25 2015, 3:04 pm
The dangers of the world are just more public in today's age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics