Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is Modern chassidish? Modern Litvish?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shoy18

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:06 pm
MOM222 wrote:
shoy18 wrote:
MOM222 wrote:
I don't like the term modern chassidish, to me a better term is Heimish.

Lol when I think heimish I think, kugel, chulent, and gefillte fish!!!

LOL LOL LOL

ok more like Heimish Chassidish. How does that sound?

just adds some lukshen kugel and some sponge cake!!!

MOM222

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:11 pm
shoy, ever heard of a b.p boy that shaves, wears a gartel, learned in Noviminsk. Now that is a heimish boy. so someone with a beard and strimel is heimish chassidish. Exclamation

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:14 pm
How can Heimische be modern?

That's direct opposites!

shoy18

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:14 pm
MOM222 wrote:
shoy, ever heard of a b.p boy that shaves, wears a gartel, learned in Noviminsk. Now that is a heimish boy. so someone with a beard and strimel is heimish chassidish. Exclamation

thats called pseudo chassidish!!!

like to the guy who puts on the garb for shabbos but wears colored shirts and sends his kids to regular schools...

MOM222

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:19 pm
shoy18 wrote:
MOM222 wrote:

thats called pseudo chassidish!!!

like to the guy who puts on the garb for shabbos but wears colored shirts and sends his kids to regular schools...

Why pseudo? He's not chassidish, he's most prob. hungarian and def. not litvish. What should he be?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:27 pm
what's heimish? regular charedi not Litvish and not chassidish?

MOM222

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:32 pm
no its a breed on its own.
To me its someone that has the warmth of chassidish, dresses yeshivish (suit, bend down) but with a gartel. Sends his children to nutreul schools like BY., hungarian background.

Confused don't know if I'm describing it right. anyone wants to help?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:37 pm
*turns crazy and runs away screaming into the night*
lol
so many types...

mmm... what about yeshivish?

Chani

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:43 pm
what is so interesting about this is that I'm seeing people define "modern yeshivish" as doing less...My particular point of view is that it is somebody who does follow the standard chumrot/minhagim/etc. that the yeshivish community does, but whose PHILOSOPHY is more in line with torah im derech eretz...just my thought.

MOM222

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:50 pm
Chani wrote:
what is so interesting about this is that I'm seeing people define "modern yeshivish" as doing less...My particular point of view is that it is somebody who does follow the standard chumrot/minhagim/etc. that the yeshivish community does, but whose PHILOSOPHY is more in line with torah im derech eretz...just my thought.

Thumbs Up

Blossom

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:57 pm
Chani May I borrow your explanation for Modern Chassidish too? Smile

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:25 pm
Chani wrote:

Alternatively, it can be called "Right Wing M.O."

ruchel wrote:
So a Mo person of Chabad descent is modern Chabad, for example? even with no Chabad minhag kept?

No.

Blossom - Sorry you don't like my definition, but I stand by it, since I think it's accurate. I would not call those who "picked up some chasidishe minhagim" modern chasidish.

As for opting to wear certain types of hats, if it doesn't go along with anything else (customs, learning, mindset, and lifestyle), I frankly don't see the point. Maybe you can explain it to me.

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 5:13 pm
Motek: I'm glad you at least agree that BTs don't really fit into your definition.

However, with that little comment about emulating the least religious, I don't think you fully understand the example I gave.

I'll refer specifically to Chabad here, because that is where most of my experience lies, and because Chabad tends to be very attractive to those with "modern" outlooks b/c of the scope of the kiruv efforts worldwide and the specific philosophy that favors reaching out and spreading out, in an effort to reach every Jew, as opposed to always being in a bubble.

It's not a question of emulating those on a lower level. I KNOW that I'm on a different level than my rabbi.

It's a matter of being raised with a modern perspective (not sheltered, very much involved with the outside world, college-educated professionals, etc.), and not feeling the need to go beyond basic halacha to change that. Schlichim know how to teach the difference between basic halacha, and practices that are more particular to Lubavitch. I admire the Rebbe - but do not feel compelled to adopt dress or customs or ways of doing things that were never part of our families' way of doing things.

It's also about the rabbi gearing the sermons and the general atmosphere toward a less insular, more universal perspective. To give one example: one congregant spoke about it being his late father's yahrzeit at the kiddush, and mentions that his father was not a religious man, but he fought with the Partisans against the Nazis and then fought in the Israeli army. The rabbi responded by saying, "you're wrong that he wasn't religious. He fought and risked himself to save Jewish lives, and that's a tremendous mitzvah." That's typical of the approach, and the attraction of the congregants to this rabbi.

suomynona

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 5:28 pm
at the rate this thread is going, we can each belong to our own group.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 5:30 pm
I would define "modern Chassidish" as someone who identifies with a particular chassidic community (either because his/her parents belonged to this chassidus or because the came to it on their own) and probably sends their kids to that chassidic goup's schools. However they may have a more ... relaxed ... attitude towards things like college degrees, dress, tv and movies etc etc than most other chassidim.

Since I am Lubavitch I am probably referring to Modern Lubavitchers. However withen Lubavitch you have such a wide range of acceptable behaviours, but there is defiantely the Lubavitch ideal. eg not to wwatch movies, to wear a sheitel outside, and so on but there are lots of peole who do watch movies and wear hats or tichels who consider themselves strong Lubavitchers.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 6:04 pm
JRK - then perhaps we are agreeing!

What you describe:

Quote:
It's a matter of being raised with a modern perspective (not sheltered, very much involved with the outside world, college-educated professionals, etc.), and not feeling the need to go beyond basic halacha to change that. Schlichim know how to teach the difference between basic halacha, and practices that are more particular to Lubavitch. I admire the Rebbe - but do not feel compelled to adopt dress or customs or ways of doing things that were never part of our families' way of doing things.

tells me that you are admirers of Chabad, friends of Chabad, but not a Lubavitcher. Fine with me. Very Happy

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 10:27 am
Motek - we agree. I don't identify as a Lubavitcher. Friend of Chabad, Chabad shul-goer, involved with Chabad - those are more accurate terms.

I'm not trying to get stuck on labels (which are better for jars than people), just showing how philosophy can cross lines.

mimivan

Post Sat, Jun 16 2007, 5:47 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I've said it before, I don't think the word should be "Modern". Unless you think it means "less concerned about what is religious"...and mimivan, I'm sure you don't mean that!

I mean it but my neighborhood is really fanatical, so maybe I'll try to qualify statements like that from now on (I.e don't think it is LH because I'm not mentioning the name of my neighborhood)

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 12:00 pm
Motek wrote:

Alternatively, it can be called "Right Wing M.O."

no. "modern yeshivish" and "RW MO" aren't quite the same. A lot of things about their lifestyles are similar, but the modern yeshivish will maintain their links to yeshivish schools and shuls.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 12:05 pm
nylon wrote:

no. "modern yeshivish" and "RW MO" aren't quite the same. A lot of things about their lifestyles are similar, but the modern yeshivish will maintain their links to yeshivish schools and shuls.

chani - do you have links to yeshivish schools and shul?

and nylon - what does maintaining links mean? attending their dinners? so ...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics