Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to make fair (pale) skin look beautiful
1  2  Next

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 9:47 am
I have a very pale complexion. I don't tan, I burn. I want to make my skin (face, arms, legs, whole body) look beautiful- I see in the magazines there are some very gorgeous looking pale-skinned models, so I know that fair skin can be pretty, but I don't know how to get that look.
Any ideas?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 9:51 am
Very ironic! I see that my amother color is TAN!!! Lol

JMM-uc

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 9:51 am
You can fake tan...

Or you can be happy in your own skin!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
I have a very pale complexion. I don't tan, I burn. I want to make my skin (face, arms, legs, whole body) look beautiful- I see in the magazines there are some very gorgeous looking pale-skinned models, so I know that fair skin can be pretty, but I don't know how to get that look.
Any ideas?

What color is your hair? Eyes?
The key is to celebrate your color. Use make-up in the shade of your skin to even out your skin tone. You fresh bright colors on you lips, cheeks, eyes.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 10:37 am
See if you can get a copy of the book Color Me Beautiful, which shows you how to choose colors in clothing, accessories and makeup that flatter your complexion. The right colors enhance the beauty of your skin the way the right setting enhances the beauty of a jewel.

I would not go for a fake tan, as a. it is very hard to get it right, without streaking or fake orangey tones; b. it requires upkeep as it wears off; c. it will probably look weird with the colors of your hair, eyes and fingernails; and d. colors that flatter your natural coloring may not flatter the fake tan, and you surely do not wish to have to buy all new clothing and accessories for this fake tan that you would use at most for three months out of the year unless you live in the tropics, even natural tans looking bizarre in chilly months.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 12:59 pm
Funny, I find pale skin naturally pretty and avoid the sun Smile
Like any skin, the trick is it hide blemishes if there are, and use the right colours.

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 1:08 pm
I agree you need to find out which type you are and adjust your clothing and make up accordingly. And sheitel color too. You don't need to pay, there are plenty of online resources for that!

Kitten

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:57 am
Avoid fake tan, unless you want to look like an orange zebra that you can spot a mile away. Even if there is such a thing as natural looking fake tan, it will be strange for your family and friends to suddenly see you tanned.
White skin can look beautiful. As other posters said, find colors of clothing and makeup that suit your complexion. Pastels look really nice on pale skin.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:06 am
Ruchel wrote:
Funny, I find pale skin naturally pretty and avoid the sun Smile
Like any skin, the trick is it hide blemishes if there are, and use the right colours.

Right, pale skin can be so gentle, feminine, classy, and beautiful.
My father's mother said that when she was younger it was considered very unlady-like to be olive or to tan. She used to put pale powered makeup on her face and arms because she was very olive and it was out of style.

Also, you are able to tan. Creating melanocytes is the body's natural way of dealing with sun exposure. When you create more of them, you get a tan. You may just need to start slowly, be sure to use sun screen and NOT burn, and alternate days, but it's possible for you to be as dark as you want... Sun exposure has its pluses and minuses though, but just realize that a natural tan is in your reach if you're interested.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:11 am
OP might do well with lighter hair. Dark hair makes her skin look paler by the contrast.

I completely agree that OP should not fight her type.

OP, most main-stream mass market makeup is NOT designed for very pale people. You might do well with a few shades of brown and a little pink on the eye, no jet black, and a light natural lip color and maybe a very little light blush. But you can't paint your way out of this. You are pale. Be pale.

I vote for lots of jewelry, soft colors, and lighter hair and call it a day.

But do smoke the eye a little, but not too dark.

On a very light background, every little thing just shows and shows; go easy.

Maybe a peach nail color.

Sure you can wear black, but also grays, browns and pinks.

I agree about the pastels.

OP, don't fight City Hall. No fake tans or attempts to look like everybody else. Won't work.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:12 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
My father's mother said that when she was younger it was considered very unlady-like to be olive or to tan. She used to put pale powered makeup on her face and arms because she was very olive and it was out of style.

Also, you are able to tan. Creating melanocytes is the body's natural way of dealing with sun exposure. When you create more of them, you get a tan. You may just need to start slowly, but it's possible for you to be as dark as you want... Sun exposure has its pluses and minuses though, but just realize that a natural tan is in your reach if you're interested.

Op here.
I'm sure, with enough time spent in the sun, I could get a tan, but I'm not interested in increasing chances for skin cancer or wrinkles, so no thanks.

I already looked up my colors. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:22 am
A little sunshine is good for you. Not tons.

OP use your sense. Nobody needs to destroy their skin in the sun, pale or not pale.

Sunscreen, hats, people. But you knew that.

Sometimes you have to work with what's there and not pine for someone else's look. Trying on purpose to tan amounts to not accepting your complexion. All people, olive, brown or ivory, should accept their complexion.

Glory in it. You do get to define yourself.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Kitten

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:24 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
OP might do well with lighter hair. Dark hair makes her skin look paler by the contrast.

If OP has very dark hair, lighter hair might look weird. A blond sheitel with black eyebrows looks horrible.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:28 am
Kitten wrote:
If OP has very dark hair, lighter hair might look weird. A blond sheitel with black eyebrows looks horrible.

Some people naturally ahve blonde hair and black eyebrows so thats pretty offensive.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:29 am
Maybe, yes. But she didn't say anything about her hair or eyebrow color.

And there all kinds of blond colors and shades.

Sometimes, for a pale person, going a little lighter, not golden, more to ash, and a small change not a big change, can be interesting. OP will have to see what works by looking.

Within limits, it can be ok to have eyebrows darker than your hair. I have known sisters who had that naturally in youth. They had an Italian father (dark eyes and brows) and an English mother (dirty blond hair). Entirely from nature.

Each case is different.

Kitten

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Some people naturally ahve blonde hair and black eyebrows so thats pretty offensive.

Sorry you find this offensive. I'm just giving my point of view of someone who has black hair and once tried a blondish sheitel. I never saw someone who has naturally very thick black eyebrows and blond hair.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 12:40 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

Also, you are able to tan. Creating melanocytes is the body's natural way of dealing with sun exposure. When you create more of them, you get a tan. You may just need to start slowly, be sure to use sun screen and NOT burn, and alternate days, but it's possible for you to be as dark as you want... Sun exposure has its pluses and minuses though, but just realize that a natural tan is in your reach if you're interested.

I've grown to love my porcelain skin. I think it makes me unique. When someone remarks on it (,I really am very very pale,) I just say, "yup, I'm the fairest in the land!"
My skin does NOT tan. Ever. It freckles. Now I think my freckles are kinda cute, but a tan they ain't. Pale skin does age faster than darker complexions. I wear sunscreen every single day, rain or shine. On my hands too. I hope my older self will thank me one day. (I'm in my twenties.)
I don't agree that people with fair skin look better with lighter hair. Every shaitel macher I've been too has told me to keep my dark color, it can look very striking and beautiful (if I may say so myself Wink ).Of course, lighter hair is also very pretty, the point is, work with what you've got.
As for makeup, well I'm a makeup artist, so here's my opinion: finding foundation and concealer for pale skin is no easy feat, I know. Even if you do find a pale enough color, It can turn orange after a few hours. Yuck, right? Splurge on these items, the more expensive brands have a better selection and do tend to hold up better, although not always, you do have to test them out first. Rub it into your jawline, it should disappear. Go out in the sun, take a look again, and look again after a couple hours. It will take some trial and error. Some makeup artists will custom-blend your own foundation for you. This might be a good option.
Wear a touch of bronzer (nothing too orangey) on the highest points of your face, where the sun would naturally hit, top of cheekbones, temple, nose and chin. It will make you look healthy and glow-ey, not tanned. Try it!
As for color, well, if your hair is dark, you're in luck. Pale skin and dark hair is the most versatile face for makeup, you can get away with a lot. Don't be afraid to experiment, makeup should be fun, not stressful, it washes off at the end of the day. If your hair is light, your choices are slightly more limited, but don't let it stop you from finding that perfect bright lipstick. Don't let anyone tell you you need to wear old-lady colors 'cause your fair. Not true at all. If your skin and hair is cool-toned, look for cool-toned colors, if you're warm-toned look for those. Do some research online to help you figure this out, or ask a professional. Don't stress it, and have fun, you're beautiful!
As for the rest of your body, exfoliate in the shower, and then moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. That's all there there is to it.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 12:43 pm
Kitten wrote:
Sorry you find this offensive. I'm just giving my point of view of someone who has black hair and once tried a blondish sheitel. I never saw someone who has naturally very thick black eyebrows and blond hair.

I definitely know people with blonde hair and very thick black eyebrows.
Official beauty rules say that eyebrows should be 2 shades lighter than hair but it's rarely the case.
I have black hair and if my shaitel gets a little brown I know I need to dye it. I look best in either blonde or black, but not brown. Go figure.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:51 pm
Find a brand of makeup that you know you're not allergic to, and then go to the makeup counter and ask them to give you a makeover. Be prepared to buy product, because it's rude to take up their time and not buy anything. They get paid on commission.

I'm a pale redhead with green eyes, and I found that Shiseido http://www.shiseido.com has the best colors for my skin. Bobbi Brown, MAC, and Estee Lauder are all excellent brands, too. They are happy to help you find the right match.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 2:09 pm
I do think subtle makeup is critical if you have pale skin - the key is subtle because garish colors generally don't work with pale skin. I second and third everyone's suggestion that the most critical element to get right is foundation because you don't want to create a mask.

Equally important is getting a subtle blush and knowing how to apply it so you just look peaches and cream instead of like a clown.

I really like my coloring - dark hair - pale skin and blue eyes. I think of myself as a winter and so I tend to center my wardrobe around black and then accessorize with "jewel" tones.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics