Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Passports

cindy324

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 2:26 pm
So we have an invitation for Succos IY"H to go to Mexico. We haven't made a final decision yet as to whether or not we're gonna go, it depends on DH's job. However, I need to get passports for my kids. Does anybody know how long it takes to get a new passport nowadays? I just read an article in Friday's paper that there's a 4 month backlog on processing passport applications!!! Is that true? If it is, would I get faster results from one of those Fastport Passport places and is it very expensive to go to them?

Did anyone apply through the conventional way, like the post office , and get a passport in less than 4 months??

cdawnr

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 2:41 pm
Hmm, I think I applied for ds's passport in early Feb and got it around April 15. I know I applied for it after Jan 15 ...so that is still less than 4 months, although not much. For an extra $60, however, you can pay to have it expedited, which is gauranteed in 6 weeks.

cindy324

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 2:59 pm
Thanks, except it's $60 x 3 . $180 to expedite is pretty steep. I guess I 'll have to get on it ASAP if I want to have them by September 25th.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 3:16 pm
Expedited is about 8 weeks now...that's about $90 IIRC. I just did for the kids for August. Expedited can be done at the post office.
ALso, you can do regular, and them expedite it later if it's getting too close.

Mom2Three

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 3:28 pm
I just read a few days ago that the passport requirement for Mexico and Canada has been suspended because of the backlog. I will try to find a source for where I read that, but if I remember correctly, you just have to have proof that you submitted the passport application.

Edit to add link from the State Department. However, its probably not much help to you because this suspension only lasts until September 30 and Sukkot ends on October 5. But if you apply this week, there is still chance that you'd get the passports on time.

http://travel.state.gov/travel......html

Quote:
WITHIN WESTERN HEMISPHERE

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced June 8, 2007 that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily enter and depart from the United States by air with a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child’s proof of application. Travelers who have not applied for a passport should not expect to be accommodated. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: http://travel.state.gov/passpo......html .

Last edited by Mom2Three on Mon, Jun 11 2007, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 3:29 pm
you have to go with both parents to apply also.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 3:43 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
you have to go with both parents to apply also.

Or get one parent to sign a notarized statement that he gives permission.
The kids need to be present as well.

cindy324

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 3:55 pm
Yes momto3, I read that , too, but then I realized that we would be returning on the 7th of October, so I wonder if travel has to be completed by sept 30th or you can leave up until the 30th. I guess I will try to apply within the next 7 days, as I know that both parents and kids have to be there, which means missed work, missed hours from school, trying to juggle everybody's schedule...

sleepyhead

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 5:43 pm
Anyone know if it's possible to renew an Israeli passport in one day in America?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics