Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Venice, CA. or Santa Monica

bigmomma

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 12:13 pm
Will be in California last Shabbos in May and would like to spend it near the beach either in Venice or Santa Monica? Any leads?

Supermom#1

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 12:49 pm
I don't have any suggestions as far as lodgings go but I can tell you that Santa Monica is a much nicer area. We drive through Venice and the element was quite awful.

Supermom#1

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 12:51 pm
Also, there is Chabad in Santa Monica

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 1:01 pm
Venice is definitely a more "colorful" area, but it does have the Shul on the Beach, aka Pacific Jewish Center, which is literally ON the beach. See here for more info:

http://pjcenter.shulcloud.com/......html

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 1:31 pm
PJC is definitely worth the visit. For lodging, I would stay in Santa Monica — the 2 communities are adjacent.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 7:17 pm
Venice beach is filled with tons of colorful characters lots of stores that sell bongs, rolling paper etc as well as loads of tattoo parlors and bars and bike shops. I took my kids and they had loads of questions.
Santa Monica is a nice neighborhood with a very active chabad house.

Maohr Hatorah Synagogue
1537 Franklin Avenue

The hotels are nicer in SM- there's even a Loews Hotel on the beach.

Venice Beach is fun when you're 19 - 23.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time wherever you go.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:11 pm
If PJC is currently having their Friday evening services at the shul on the beach (some of their services are held at a different location), sunset over the water when shul ends is incredible.

Call them for info. It's a welcoming place — I'm not current but I met DH there and was a member for many years.

SRB

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 1:03 am
In general Santa Monica is nicer but if you stay in Venice, walk along the Venice canals - it's a lovely walk. I know there are small communities in these areas (Chabad & PJC) but I'm not very familiar with them. I know you didn't ask about Malibu, but there is also a Chabad there and it's beautiful beach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics