Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Please help me shop the right Rice Cooker
1  2  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 3:54 pm
I'm looking into purchasing a rice cooker that is mostly stainless steel based, meaning the interiors I.e. the bowl, steamer, and etc are from stainless steal.
After googling endlessly I realize that very few companies manufacture this product with mostly stainless steel interiors.

The majority of companies manufacture rice cookers with either aluminum, teflon coated, or other non stick materiel bowls.

From the few that do manufacture the stainless steel ones I am getting mixed reviews. Good and not so good which makes it harder for me to decide which to choose from.

Anyone here own a rice cooker that comes with stainless steel interiors? (bowls, etc?)
Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

TIA

Posting anon because some who know me IRL are aware that I'm looking high and low for a rice cooker... Wink

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 3:09 pm
I have a rice cooker, but as you described the interior bowl has non-stick coating. This is because rice cookers are mainly marketed to Asian households whose staple is sticky (ie short-grain) rice. Stainless steel bowl would result in too much rice sticking and a mess to clean. One feature I really appreciate is timer--I can set the rinsed rice and water before going to bed (or before going to work in the morning) and wake up (or come home) to hot steaming rice. Brown rice function is nice too. I must confess I don't use any other functions, or use it for anything aside from cooking rice.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:09 pm
Hands down a Zojirushi. My Sanyo died after a year, the cheap spring loaded ones are fine if you want to open it up every six months and adjust the spring.

self-actualization

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:21 pm
I have the Zojirushi and it is great. But I'm pretty sure that the bowl is non-stick, and the spoon is plastic.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 5:54 pm
self-actualization wrote:
I have the Zojirushi and it is great. But I'm pretty sure that the bowl is non-stick, and the spoon is plastic.

I wipe my bowl with oil. I've never had sticky rice stick. The spoon doesn't matter to me, I have a silicon one I use just for the rice cooker. It's an item I use weekly and it performs flawlessly.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 6:49 pm
I also own a Zojirushi. A Japanese-born friend recommended it (and specifically recommended that within the Zojirushi line I buy one that was manufactured in Japan). Works great for Jasmine rice, sushi rice, and brown rice. The bowl is definitely non-stick. Rice cookers do not reach the the sort of temperatures that damage Teflon.

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 6:54 pm
Ditto on the Zoji. I broke mine and I almost cried. I have to spring for a new one now.

Chickpea

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:57 pm
I checked amazon for the zojirushi and there are so many different models. Is there a particular one that you recommend?

Fave

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:06 pm
Just curious - what's the benefit of using a rice cooker over the stove -when cooking rice?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:07 pm
OP here, the reason I'm interested in the stainless steel is because I've read that the teflon coating is just as unhealthy (dangerous) as aluminum or perhaps even worse...

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:16 pm
The NeuroFuzzy ones are expensive but really good at rice cooking. The simple ones just cook and keep warm, but they do it well. Our family (6 people) that really eat rice can get away with the 5 cup ones but I really want a 10 cup. Most American families can probably get away with the 5 cup models.

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:19 pm
Fave wrote:
Just curious - what's the benefit of using a rice cooker over the stove -when cooking rice?

On my nicer rice cookers (don't get the Aroma from Costco - waste of $$), you can set the rice cooker ahead to cook up to 24 hours and then keep warm. It's one less thing on the stove and that is important especially for Shabbos prep. It makes prefect rice every time.

ETA - they also play such cute music when they are done! Smile

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
OP here, the reason I'm interested in the stainless steel is because I've read that the teflon coating is just as unhealthy (dangerous) as aluminum or perhaps even worse...

I've heard that too, but I don't take it so seriously. If you want a clay pot insert, there seem to be VitaClay rice cookers. Never seen them nor tried them.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:40 pm
Here's a Zojirushi NeuroFuzzy; http://smile.amazon.com/Zojiru.....logic

I own this model. Mine is over 5 years old and works perfectly.

edited to correct typo

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:47 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Here's a Zojirushi NeuroFuzzy; http://smile.amazon.com/Zojiru.....logic

I've own this model. Mine is over 5 years old and works perfectly.

I have the Japanese version of this one. It worked perfectly until I turned it upside down to get out some gunk. I'm debating on taking it back to Japan to be fixed or just buy a new one. They are cheaper there....

Japanese Version

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:35 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
The NeuroFuzzy ones are expensive but really good at rice cooking. The simple ones just cook and keep warm, but they do it well. Our family (6 people) that really eat rice can get away with the 5 cup ones but I really want a 10 cup. Most American families can probably get away with the 5 cup models.

What is the maximum amount of raw rice that can be used in a 5 cup cooker? 10 cup cooker?

When the advertisement specifies a specific number I.e. "8" cup rice cooker, do they refer to 8 cups of raw grains or 8 cups cooked, meaning apr 4-5 cups uncooked??

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:21 am
amother wrote:
What is the maximum amount of raw rice that can be used in a 5 cup cooker? 10 cup cooker?

When the advertisement specifies a specific number I.e. "8" cup rice cooker, do they refer to 8 cups of raw grains or 8 cups cooked, meaning apr 4-5 cups uncooked??

It's five cups uncooked, so 8-9 cups cooked?
ETA The cups they are mentioning are Japanese cups (200mL, not the 350mL of US measuring cups). Use the little cup they give you, not an American cup to measure rice.

babula

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 7:13 pm
I have a cuisinart. Works great and it's 5 years old and still going strong.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:

What I remember is that if you heat a Teflon pan with no food or water in it, empty, quite hot, yes, a dangerous gas is emitted.

So it's not unhealthy under any and all conditions, just under this kind of condition.

So I just remember to not heat any Teflon pan empty. Nobody does that anyway.

I am happy with my Teflon coated rice cooker. I love the thing, actually.

Mine is an Aroma. There are certainly better ones.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:42 pm
This is the best ricemaker I have ever owned.without reserve. http://www.amazon.com/Zojirush.....ooker
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics