Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
I want to make steak with sunny side up eggs

emunahmother

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:17 pm
How do I do that?
Does anyone have a recipe or at least what type of steak (cut of meat) and do the eggs get cooked on top - on broil?

All and any info would be appreciated.

TIA

ETA. Side dish suggestions would be great too. I was think a salad and fries but wanted it to be nicer and maybe the fries kill it? Not sure. Also I don't want to stink like oil from the frying

Yael3

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:25 pm
Are you talking about breakfast or dinner? It can be done with rib eye and I would cook the two separately. Of course the eggs will be done much much faster so grill the streak first and when there are 5 minutes remaining for the steak, cook the eggs.

emunahmother

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:34 pm
Oh sorry. I meant dinner
Grill? I was hoping this would be neat and simple in the oven. Is that possible?

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:37 pm
I've never heard of baking a steak or a fried egg. :-)

You would cook the steak in the usual manner - pan fried is pretty good in my opinion - or broil or grill. You would then fry the egg while the steak is "resting" since meat should rest anyway before serving. If you sauté the steak, you could fry the egg in the same pan.

Yael3

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:42 pm
emunahmother wrote:
Oh sorry. I meant dinner
Grill? I was hoping this would be neat and simple in the oven. Is that possible?

Sure you can cook the steak in the oven. But again, the eggs would be cooked (stove top) and added last.

emunahmother

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:45 pm
Ok great. Thank you.
What's the proper way to cook steak? I guess I always do it as if it's a roast...oops.

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 8:55 pm
Steaks aren't baked in the oven like a roast because you want to get a good sear on both sides to maximize flavor. Grilling or broiling can also do that.

You want to start with a very hot pan and sear both sides in a bit of oil. Depending on hoe you like it done, you can then stick the pan in the oven because otherwise you will get a burned exterior. But the sear maximizes the flavor of a steak. There is a chemical reaction that occurs -- the Maillard Effect. You can google if you are interested but it definitely enhances the flavor of food. It's why recipes for braises or stews will generally have you searing the meat as the first step and sautéing the onions or other veggies instead of just adding them.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:29 am
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%.....heval ?

emunahmother

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:41 am
Do I sear with oil? The one time I "seared" meat it stuck to the bottom. I think I used oil but I don't remember (was years ago)

emunahmother

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:42 am
Ruchel the link is in French. I'll see if I can change it.

I tried but It doesn't have any English words so I'm not sure what to click Very Happy

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:21 pm
emunahmother wrote:
Do I sear with oil? The one time I "seared" meat it stuck to the bottom. I think I used oil but I don't remember (was years ago)

Yes you do sear with oil to get that nice sear on the exterior.

What kind of pan do you use? A LOT of people swear by a cast iron pan well seasoned for meat and then you can also stick in the oven to finish if necessary.

You do need a good heavy pan though because thin aluminum pans will cause meat (and other stuff) to stick.

You don't want to move the meat around and then generally it releases itself naturally without sticking when the exterior has browned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics