Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Breakfast for 5 year old

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:54 am
For the longest time, my daughter would have a yogurt for breakfast every morning before school. I recently introduced her to fruit loops and now she wants them every morning instead of her yogurt. Of course I know that the yogurt is healthier. So, do I let her have her fruit loops every morning or do I insist she has her yogurt?

oliveoil

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 8:41 am
stop buying the fruit loops if you don't want her eating them. would you give her a bowl of candy for breakfast?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:20 am
Buy different healthy cereal options. She may like this one. Stick to it, don't give a bowl full of sugar first thing in the morning! Read the nutrition facts.
(Personally I don't let that stuff in the house)

STMommy

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:03 am
Crush the fruit loops and put them into her vanilla yogurt (like your own version of YoCrunch)!

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:09 am
How about trying pancakes? You can make them all shapes.
(you can buy a little tool similar to a cookie cutter only this is made to put in a frying pan)

Or you can make an omlet or scrambled eggs and turn in into a smiley face with some cherry tomatoes, peppers and a slice of cucumber.

Or make French toast...

I made these and the kids preferred it over the sweet sugary cereals. Give it a try.

smss

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:14 am
you introduced her to fruit loops? that's kind of asking for it.
hopefully the yogurt actually is much healthier, but yogurts can have a LOT of sugar too...

anyway, if you want her to go back to yogurt and/or a healthier food, just don't buy fruit loops. if they're not in the house, she can't have them...

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:40 am
Op here: I originally bought the fruit loops for myself because I was craving a sweet cereal. In a moment of weakness, I asked my daughter if she wanted a bowl and of course she said yes. Now she wants them every morning. I still have 2 boxes in the house. I feel bad taking them away from her, especially since I introduced them to her in the first place. My husband doesnt think its such a big deal. Growing up his parents only bought sugary cereals and its what him and his brothers ate every morning for breakfast. However, his parents aren't exactly the most health conscious people.

flmommy

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:48 am
We o my allow sugary cereal as a treat Shabbos morning. Maybe that can be a compromise between you and your husband. Remember you are the parent sometimes it's hard to be strict and take something away but we all make mistakes and teaching your daughter about nutrition is Impt.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:02 am
I think this is a battle worth fighting. Except I wouldn't go back to yogurt. That's not such a nutritious breakfast. Can you combine starch and protein in some way instead? Bread and eggs, bread and cheese, yogurt and granola, with some veggies in the side. I'm still hungry after a yogurt.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 6:31 pm
Since you already have them, like someone else said, make that the special Shabbos cereal. It can be out of sight during the week, if that's easier for her. And if she asks for it, just remind her that Shabbos is in X amount of days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers