Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's a typical day for you?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Shoelover

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:30 am
Wow! You are all so organized! My schedule is different every day!

curlyhead

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:38 am
6:30 alarm, morning coffee wake myself up get oldest out of house by 7:15 for minyan
7:15 get kids ready for school, dress, breakfast for kids kids make lunches
8:30 walk kids to school, take a 20 min exercise walk
9:30 breakfast if I did not have, Feed toddler
1h - 1.5 hosuework - throw a load in, clean kitchen living room and whatever other housework needs to be done with toddler to distract me
tackle whatever is on my to do list such a my work at home job, paperwork etc
toddler naps approx 11-1
Afternoon is for appointments which is many with a bunch of kids and shopping and errends, one afternoon I work. Sometimes have appointment in morning. Thursday have appointment which I'll be out half a day
4:00 school pickup
4:20 cook dinner
5:00 2nd shift comes home from school - dinner, homework, spend time with kids, try to clean up kicthen, prepare snacks.
7:00 officially really 7:30 bathtime, get kids ready for bed
8:00 bedtime - settle younger kids in bed (stay with them till they fall asleep) while older kids read in bed
8:40 chase older kids to bed
9:15 shower, cleanup kitchen and if energy any other housework
10:00 unwind on computer/phone or do WAH job
in bed 10:30-11

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:41 am
ok here's mine
4:00 wake up, dress, laundry, prep kids' clothes, prep work bag, food for work
5:00 nurse baby, diaper and dress him
5:40 wake dh, leave for clinicals
5:45-6:55 commute
7:00 sign in to clinicals
3:00-4:00 commute home from clinicals
dh brings kids home from daycare
4:00-5:00 park with kids, play etc.
5:00-5:30prep supper while kids play near me ''help'' me out
5:30- supper
6:00 bath, books, music, get kids ready for bed, straighten up house, dh leaves for evening classes
7:45- bedtime
8:00 homework(mine), chill, clean house, shower,
10:30 crash
oh , and a couple of nursing sessions at night

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:46 am
my schedule: I work part time from home and study part time. (distance learning)

7:30 alarm goes off. Sometimes I get up but usually I press the snooze. I wake up my kids (by calling them) to get ready for school. (7 and 11 so they are able to do this on their own)
8am get up and dress, help kids prepare snacks and lunch, send them off to school.
8:30 get 2 year old dressed and eat breakfast, check email, browse internet for a few minutes. Maybe put on a load of laundry if needed and tidy kitchen.
9:30-12 usually go out with 2 year old for a walk, to a toddler group I run, or park, or supermarket. Sometimes I stay at home and attempt to work or study or sort laundry.
12:30-2:30 baby naps so I get work or studying done. Might eat lunch too.
2:30-3 play with baby or other random stuff.
3 pick up kids from school either by car or on foot.
3-5 prep supper, homework
5 Supper for kids, me and husband eat then or later, depending.
5:30 Do some supplementary work with my kids, stuff they don't learn in school.
7-8 put 2 year old to bed (including reading stories, bathtime and cuddles!) I recently stopped nursing so the process takes a lot less time then it used to!
8 call my older kids who are away in yeshiva/high school. Send older kids to bed
8:30-11 study or work
11 bedtime. Including at least an hour of downtime, ie reading, browsing web etc. More if I am not sleepy
12-1:30 go to sleep.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:49 am
Anon because I have a pretty unique work situation that would make me easily identifiable.

I am a therapist and I work from home in private practice. I see clients all around the world via teletherapy because I provide a very specific sort of intervention for children/families that is not widely available outside of US/Canada/Australia. Because of clients are in many different time zones, my appointments range from 8:30 in the morning to 8:30 at night my time. I see between 2-3 hours of clients a day + about 1 hour/day of charting and billing and paperwork for those clients. In addition to my therapy practice, I mentor other aspiring therapists, am a consultant for 2 healthcare companies (writing and presenting continuing ed. materials for them to educate other healthcare professionals), and am active in writing for professional publications. I also have a baby under 1 year.

7AM baby usually wakes up around this time, get baby changed, dressed, and put him down on the floor to play while I eat breakfast and check emails, read the news online, etc. Feel incredible crushing guilt at not giving him 100% of my attention during this time. Try to remember to get enough food in me so that I can take my vitamins/medicine without an upset stomach. Make lunch for dh and send him off to work. Try to daven but honestly, most mornings I'm lucky if I say shema and a quick prayer in my own words (mostly, "Hashem, I hope you understand I'm trying my best!")

8AM bring baby back to bedroom while I try to get dressed, put on my hair, do makeup if I'm lucky, do a few chores around the house (dishes, putting away laundry, making beds)

8:30AM feed baby (if he wants, he eats on demand), bounce him to sleep in a sling on the yoga ball so he'll be calm through my first appointment. Repeat as needed for future appointments later in the day.

9AM first patient appointment, on yoga ball, while wearing baby

10AM chart and bill for first patient, baby probably eats again

The rest of the afternoon is spent trying to write articles, work on seminar presentations, answer correspondence from professionals in need of mentoring or families in need of therapy, cook something for dinner, maybe take a walk with the baby to do errands on foot (that's as close to exercise as I can get) if it's nice, trying to pull something together for lunch for myself, I try to nap with the baby at least once a day, for my own sanity and milk production (ecological breastfeeding). See another patient or two, play/read books/sing with the baby, etc. Baby eats and sleeps whenever he wants/needs to.

My husband gets home sometime between 4-6 usually, we catch up for a few minutes, eat dinner during one of the baby's happy times when he's not wanting to nurse or play, husband goes out to minyan, sometimes I have a night appointment, continue working, etc. Try to do laundry a few times a week (we're in an apt. so it requires a trek downstairs, so dh stays with the baby while I run loads back and forth).

Bedtime around 11 -- well, we bring the baby back to the bedroom around 11. Sometimes he'll nurse to sleep, sometimes he needs to be rocked/bounced. Baby sleeps next to me and eats several times during the night. I don't count or look at the clock -- it's better for my mental health Smile

Exercise? Only if it's nice enough to walk to the store to do shopping.
Shower? Let's just say it's a good thing I work from home, it doesn't happen every day
Davening? Like I said, I hope Hashem understands
Time alone with dh? Not often enough, and I want to keep our relationship healthy.

Most days, I feel crushing guilt for not being super-mommy and super-therapist and super-wife all at the same time. I know I'm new at this, so I hope I will figure it out as I go and that my capacity for patience and self-sacrifice increase (I'm still getting over the shock of losing all my "me time"). I hope Hashem, my husband, and my baby know that I tried.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:49 am
Shoelover wrote:
Wow! You are all so organized! My schedule is different every day!

I'm the queen of disorganized. I manage to handle what really matters to me, somehow, but I've been known to be late in front of my building.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:54 am
heidi wrote:
I truly cannot understand why people don't see that this is missing from the page 1 posts.
Go back, OP of the post that I said I feel bad for acknowledged it's missing.
OP, I do admire your having it all together.
I would respectfully suggest that you fit in some of the down time-- your kids will grow up so fast, and I don't want you to have any regrets.

And now my schedule for all the critics out there:
6:45-7:15- Get up-- depending on which kid decides to come in to say good morning
7:15-8- Kids and I get dressed, I finish up making lunches that I was too tired to do night before
Some kids get out to busses, other I take to gan on the way to work
8:10-2/3:15-- three days a week a work till3:15-- 2 days a week I make sure to be out by 2 to pick up ds from gan so he is only in afterschool care 3 days a week.
2/3:15-6- lunch or snack, homework with big kid, park, basement, coloring-- play together or even make supper together.
6- supper
6:30-8- bath and showers, tv (yep, not ashamed to admit it) for kids-- I make lunches etc, clean up supper
8-9-- bedtime for various ages
9- crash and do laundry till I fall asleep

I am very very lucky that my salary is a perk and not a necessity and thus I don't have to work full time. I am really really not judging. I am just saying that working mothers who incorporate fun with children into their schedule (whether they wrote it or not, they know who they are) will gain, and more importantly, their children will gain, in the long run.
I have the perspective of having bigger kids, and I know how quickly it goes.

Amother that you said you feel sorry for over here. It's not that we don't have down time/play time together it's just that it's not officially scheduled in. For example: in my original post I wrote that 4:45-5:15/5:30 is finish dinner prep. First of all this involves my kids helping me in the kitchen so while it's not play time it is spend time with mommy time. Secondly, this is just what that time is officially scheduled for but not everyday does it entail much work. For example, tonight we're having lasagne for dinner. The lasagne is all made and just needs to be stuck in the oven. Putting a pan in the oven takes all of about 1 minute which means the rest of that time is now free for me to interact and play with my kids (we'll probably go play outside, weather permitting, and work on teaching my daughter how to ride a bike). I guess my point is that obviously as a working mom playtime just doesn't happen as often as I would like, not that it doesn't happen at all. It's also that I would never officially put on a daily schedule to play with kids. To me that's a given of course I'm going to cuddle and play with my children, it doesn't need to be scheduled in. To me that would be the equivalent of saying playtime with mommy is from 4:45-5:15 so if I happen to have 10 minutes free from 6:30-6:40 sorry mommy can't play with you now because it's not on the schedule. NO! playtime happens here and there throughout our evening routine so it just can't be scheduled for a set time! We also try to be creative and find ways to squeeze in playtime while I do other things, like turning on music and we all dance in the kitchen while I prepare dinner (and hey then I can also count it as my daily workout-triple wammy). Or I set the kids up with coloring activities at the dining room table and ohh and ahh over their creations while I wash dishes. It's not like playtime needs to mean I'm hovering over them actively doing the activity with them every single time. To me it means my kids know that I'm there for them, I love them, and they are creating good memories together with their mommy.

Shoelover

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:56 am
I'm trying to think what my daily schedule is like.

Wake up arnd 6 usually

I drop my toddler off around 9 before that I get dressed make lunch for him and sometimes breakfast for dh if he has time.
9-10 breakfast and I get dressed
10-1 I will clean up in the house or do errands or go out w friends and just take care of random things
1 I pick up toddler and will take him to grocery or target w me or we have a play date or go for ice cream or play outside and at some point I make dinner. Usually give him dinner at 5:30 and put him to sleep around 6:30 which is when hungry hungry dh comes home. After dinner I clean up and make phone calls and usually in bed by 10/1030

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 5:59 am
here's mine
6:00-6:45( really 5:00 from DH alarm)- wake up get dressed, throw food in my mouth
6:45- out the door with coffee
6:45-7:45 commute to work
8:255- at work five days a week Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad (missing my kids)
3-4 commute home if time do errands- usually do everything Sunday if I can, if not its a rush during the week
4-6 make supper, feed kids, homework, TV for kids
6-7 bath time pjs, ( I do snuggle and read to them Very Happy )
7:30 bed time
8-10 my time- eat supper with DH if gets home early enough, shower, clean up supper etc.
bH my babysitter does laundry and cleans - If not I would collapse and not be able to function

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 6:03 am
Barbara wrote:
So, what would you like them to post:

5:45-6:00 wake up
6:00-7:10 Get dressed, supervise/get kids dressed, nurse baby, finish preping my stuff for work (ie. prep breakfast, pack pump), give kids breakfast.

6:31 Give DD1 a hug, tie her shoes

6:33 Tell DS2 I love him, but no, we won't be having french fries and ice cream for dinner

6:47 Remind DS1 he has to hurry up; ask about his homework; tell him we can't wait to see him as the 3d tree from the right in the play.

6:59 Change DD2 diapers (again); tickle her toes

7:04 Hugs and kisses

7:10-:7:15 leave for work
7:10/7:15-7:45/7:50 commute to work
8:00-2:50 At work
2:50-3:15/3:30 commute home from work
3:15-4:15 pick up children from various babysitter/playgroup/preschool/school bus

Tell each child I love him/her and ask about their day. Admire any artwork and praise for hard work. Tell DD1 that you know she'll do better next time. Sing songs with youngest ones.

4:15-4:45 unpack lunch bags/wash dishes

Taking time to interact with children.

4:45-6:00- finish dinner prep, give kids dinner, feed baby
6:00-7:00 give kids baths, brush teeth, pajamas, read books, put kids to bed
7:00-7:30/7:45 eat dinner with DH
7:45-9:45 clean up house, do dishes, prep lunches for the next day, begin dinner prep for next day take care of things around house (ie laundry-wash/fold, pay bills...)
9:45 shower
10:00 feed baby
10:30 bed

Hey, she doesn't mention peeing, but I'll bet she does that as well.

I feel sorry for anyone who needs to attack other mothers this way.

Wanna hear my day?

6:30 Alarm goes off. Yell at DH to turn it off.

7 Concede I need to get up. Pee. Shower.

7:25 Knock on DS door to wake him up

7:30 Go into DS room to yell at him that he really needs to get up.

7:45 Tell DS that he needs to get moving or DH will be angry.

7:46 Tell DS that it matches, even if it doesn't, so he'll get moving

7:55 Drive DS to school, telling him he's going to be late, again.

8:10 Drive to work with DH

9 Work

9:12 Answer DS text

12:32 Answer another DS text

7 Leave work

7:45 Arrive home. Ask DS how day was. Assume that grunt means fabulous

And so on.

The amother whose posted this schedule responding here: Sounds about accurate except in our case they should all be DDs Wink All those things happen they're just not on the "official" schedule. As far as the peeing goes-not on the schedule as it only happens on a good day otherwise I may need to wait till DH gets home (or take one or more kids in with me to avoid a tantrum-hey does that count as quality time with mommy?) Wink LOL

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 6:06 am
Frumdoc wrote:
I notice none of you have scheduled in
bowel movements,
make up or hair covering,
imamother time,
phone shmoozing,
personal hair removal,
putting on jewellery,
bedikas/ tampon changes/ period management,
head scratching,
searching for gray hairs,
checking you dh for gray hairs,
drinking 8 cups of water,
worrying,
telling yourself you are good enough even if you feel like a disaster,
wondering how to lose weight,
thinking you should be saying tehillim rather than worrying about weight or meal planing or manicures,
hoping not to bump into Mrs Nosy or Mrs Judgemental,
and counting how many days until the next chag..........

...But I'm sure they factor in there somehow ;-)

Liking this was not enough. Thanks for making me literally LOL, I needed that!

acccdac

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 7:51 am
just want to add that having time with your kid is necessary.

Being part of every playtime with your kid IS A BAD THING!!!!!

It is not your job to keep your child entertained. They need to learn how to entertain themselves and have imaginative play alone or with other kids.

If we are in charge of every playtime our kids have then you are creating the "mommy I'm bored, and there is nothing to do" child.

Not one poster mentioned shabbos (at least I dont remember reading it) One of the big parts of a jewish lifestyle is shabbos BECAUSE IT INCLUDES CHILD/PARENT TIME. Shabbos is the cornerstone of our lives because of it forcing family time on us. I have heard many many many speakers talk out AGAINST having guests. Because most of our kids are coming from households with 2 working parents or from a household where mothers are overwhelmed, shabbos in INTEGRAL for our children and when we have guests THEN they are missing out on time with mommy/cuddling/etc.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 7:55 am
My mom says the extra attention on shabbes is what gives them the yiddishe kop Tongue Out

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:04 am
Did anyone schedule in time for intimacy or is this a loveless forum?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:34 am
imaima wrote:
I was telling a friend how I dream of finally being 40. She couldn't understand, but I felt I will be a totally different person with a different life! Very Happy

what do you mean by that? Do you think you wont have small children anymore? I'm in my 40's and have a 2 yr old, 4 yr old ..... I'm doing the same things you are doing so what is different? I feel the same I felt when I was younger. Am I more mature? I guess when you go through different things in life you mature but I'm not sure if that's what you meant. I do wonder what life will be like without kids at home. That will be a very different stage. I will like the quiet and neatness of my home but I will probably be sad and remember these days with longing.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:57 am
What an interesting thread! DIdn't really read much of it but it made me think to write my day as a schedule! Although every day is different the basic days are like this....

Any time from 6-7 Baby wakes up and I bring him into my bed to nurse and cuddle (cuz I see that's a must include in post Wink) so I'm basically up!
7:10 - alarm! Go sing G'monring to kids to wake them up. negel vasser/brushing teeth/s/t showers...
7:30-7:40 I put timer on and I also go get dressed then. timer focuses the kids and all want to be ready when it beeps.
Get lunches ready...breakfast...
8:05 walk kids to school and give them each a kiss goodbye. Pray for them!
8:30-9. daven and feed baby breakfast
9-10 exercise and socializing with buddy
10-12:45 housework/errands or appointments/nap if desperate
1:05 wait for kids to come home
Lunch-H.W.-games-playing-park-errands with kids-hugs, love, enjoying my kids!! try to do some one on one time. some days some kids have chug...
5:30-back home for older one to come home, prep supper
6-6:15 supper, baths
7-7:30 bedtime for middle 2
7:30-8:30 trying to talk to DH, give attention to oldest, nurse baby to sleep, eat supper, clean up, breathe....
8:45 sit on imamother, catch my breath!
9-9:15 go to work
12:30-1 am come home from work
1-2 shower, phone calls to USA, go to sleep-hope and pray baby doesn't wake up before 6:45!

Baruch Hashem I am busy. As hard as my days are I do try to find the good in them and appreciate I have a job to go out to...appreciate I have 4 healthy energetic kids...appreciate I live in Israel....

marina

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:36 am
FYI, everone: I win the Best Mother Award. You lose.

My schedule is that I play and bond with my children all day, every day, 24-7. In between, during little breaks, when my kids desire to go to school or play with someone else or watch some kosher and educational entertainment, I amuse myself by going to work, making dinner and quickly taking care of personal hygiene. I feel sorry for the rest of you who clearly neglect your special snowflakes.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:39 am
Here's mine:

7:30 wakeup, change baby, feed
8:00 get ready for work
8:20 get out, run to corner for breakfast/lunch
9:00 arrive to work
All day- work, handle phone calls from mom, dh, daycare
4:00 leave work
4:25 get home, feed baby, bond, play, rest
5:00 place supper in oven
6:30 dh gets home, supper
7:00 start bath, bedtime
7:30 shower time for me (I don't like leaving baby unattended even while asleep, even for three minutes)
8:00 dh leaves for night shiur, evening is mine to do laundry, prepare bags, supper for the next day, clean up
9:30 - 10:00 get to bed, dh comes home

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 12:34 pm
Well, here's for a typical day and night schedule Wink
I'll start from the night.

12:00 midnight - Bedtime
12:30 am - Go to crying DS (3 yo)
1:00 am - DS still unsettled
1:30 am - Fall asleep
3:00 am - DS crying again
3:30 am - back to bed again
5:30 am - DS crying again
6:30 am - wake up from DH's alarm clock and his dressing/leaving the room etc.
7:00 am - fall asleep again
7:30 am - Jump out of bed, wake the kids, dress 3 yo
8:30 am - DH dealing with breakfast and I have a little rest
9:00 am - Get out of bed, dressed, daven, prepare breakfast
10:00 am - Start work whilst eating breakfast
2:30 / 3:00 pm - Finish work, grab some lunch and get started on Dinner, throw in laundry etc.
3:15 pm - DS home, talk about his day, give him a snack whilst continuing to prepare Dinner
4:00 pm - Do some general tidying/cleanup
5:00 pm - Older kids come home, talk about day, snacktime
5:30 - 6:40 pm - Dinner and supervising kids play
6:40 - 7:15 pm - 3 yo's bedtime routing
7:15 pm - DH comes home, Dinner
7:30 - 9:00 pm - Work
9:00 - 9:45 pm - Older kids bedtime
10:00 pm - Crash, talk on the phone
10:30 - 11:30 pm - Tidying, cleanup and some imamother
11:30 pm - Get ready for bed

So how's that for a 24hr schedule?

imaima

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
what do you mean by that? Do you think you wont have small children anymore? .

Why not?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics