Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Missing enamel??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:33 pm
My sons new teeth are missing the enamel layer on sections of his teeth (meaning not the entire tooth, only the top). Anyone ever heard/experienced this? TIA

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 09 2022, 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

innovative mom

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:38 pm
I have two children that had this issue. When their teeth came in the were missing enamel, almost looking rotten and chipped. Yet they weren't. One had his pulled before he was three and still has weak teeth - every dentists dream. The other is ok but no great shakes... Oh well.... Good luck to you!

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 7:44 pm
This is usually caused by the child's having had a fever during the time that the tooth was developing. If it's a baby tooth, the adult tooth may be fine. If it's an adult tooth, there is no cure but the tooth can be laminated, bonded or capped once it is fully grown.

innovative mom

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:14 pm
Having a low grade fever while teething is common even for infants that have beautiful healthy teeth.

asp40

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:20 pm
one of my kids was missing enamel but it might have been her baby teeth. The dentist told me it is something that actually happens during pregnancy.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:42 pm
I'm talking about baby teeth. My dentist told me it's something that happens during pregnancy...I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes this?

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 09 2022, 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:33 pm
zaq wrote:
This is usually caused by the child's having had a fever during the time that the tooth was developing. If it's a baby tooth, the adult tooth may be fine. If it's an adult tooth, there is no cure but the tooth can be laminated, bonded or capped once it is fully grown.

Enamel develops in utero and finishes up a few months pp, well before permanent teeth erupt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics