Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
100 dollars for any toy what would you choose?
1  2  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:41 pm
I have a two year old he has a kitchen,lots of cars, a riding toy, the dramatic play stuff like puppets, figurines and dr. kits and lots of books etc and I have a 100 dollar gift card to a toy store.I really want to get him one good set of something that he can play for 20-60 min at a time like a building toy. he doesnt seem to be into magnatiles though and honestly I dont see whats so exciting about them either?
anyone have any good ideas?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:51 pm
Does he have a really solid rocking horse? Not a plastic one, but an heirloom quality one made of solid wood that can be passed down through the generations. All kids love to rock, it's great for self soothing, and is a terrific investment.

Deep

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:55 pm
My 2 year old spends hours with his Duplo. He has a large collection of bricks, wheels, people and boards.

miami85

Maybe MegaBlocs (the big ones) or a set of Duplo? My boys play with them a lot, or maybe a train set?

Shoelover

Clics, wedgits

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:59 pm
op. yes he has a great rocking toy that hes bored of Wink whats duplo?
does anyone know if playmobil is age appropriate?
also I saw another toy that is like wooden blocks with magnets it seemed more interesting to me than the magnatiles which seem boring

SorGold

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:11 pm
Definately lego duplo with a lego board
Little people sets
train set
clics
magantiles( definately have a huge appeal even if he doesnt seem to like them now. I hate building lego but even I can play with magnatiles.)
magneatos
mitzvah kinder

SivanMom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:32 pm
I would try the magnatiles again, maybe at someone else's house first. We have a large selection, all 4 of my kids (ages 4-8) still play with it, and every guest we have, no matter which age, goes for it as well. I have invested a lot of money on quality toys and this is by far my best purchase ever. (if he likes cars, the two go very well together. he can make garages by himself to put the cars into. very easy for toddlers to figure out and feel proud of themselves for accomplishing.)
Lauri pegs worked for us at that age.
playmobil is not age appropriate.
duplo is great, too, with a board.
melissa and doug food sets are fantastic to add onto a kitchen, my kids used to play with those for hours. (cupcakes, fruits and veggies, etc.)
melissa and doug also has a not very well know line of wooden toys called whittle world. My son in particular used to play with those for ages, and at 4 he still brings them out pretty often.
train set is a great investment too. (I recommend one large off brand set - target is good, with some thomas and friends specialty sets or pieces).
kidkraft shabbos or yom tov sets are fun too.

rachelbg

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:12 pm
Put it toward magnatiles. My daughters want them so badly, but we can't afford them (or even the cheaper ones right now) and beg to play with them at friends' houses. They are such a wonderful toy, hours of fun.

rachelbg

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:13 pm
Or a fantastic toy kitchen, with food and dishes. That's really, really, hours of fun (for girls and boys.)

oliveoil

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:16 pm
another vote for magnatiles. Many 2 year olds are not quite ready for them yet, but it's definitely the best investment.

boysrus

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:23 pm
magnatiles!

BA

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:52 pm
Is there really such thing as a toy that can keep a 2 year old entertained for half hour?!
on that note hatzlacha picking a toy that you would enjoy playing with him

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:29 pm
Another vote for Duplo. It's like the little-kid version of lego. You can get sets with mentchies and accessories and it is much more versatile than Playmobil, so you will get a lot more out of it.

I think magnatiles are great but they are so expensive that you get a lot more bang for your buck with almost anything else (besides the wooden magnet blocks, if you're talking about Tegu, which are even more expensive, that I totally don't get)

Open-ended block sets are also great. Kids grow with them. They develop a sense of balance more than legos do, and allow for freer play. Try Citiblocks or something like this (though this picture shows a lot of round blocks, those are a little harder to work with...) http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-B.....locks

It sounds like other than that you are pretty well stocked. Maybe save the gift card for the next stage when he starts to outgrow your current collection.

If I had $100 to spend on toys and already had what you listed, I would probably spend about half of it on Duplo (they aren't cheap, and you want plenty - one basic set and at least one with some kind of accessory pieces like wheels, mentchies, I have one with household items that allows the kids to build and play house with the legos), about $20 on plain blocks, and then the rest on play dough and small items like that. You can get a lot of mileage out of play dough with some cutters and stuff!

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:30 pm
I never saw the maaleh of magnatiles honestly.
My boys love trains ; maybe a train table if you have the room.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:40 pm
BA wrote:
Is there really such thing as a toy that can keep a 2 year old entertained for half hour?!
on that note hatzlacha picking a toy that you would enjoy playing with him

Depends on the kid, I guess, but yes I've seen 2-year-olds absorbed in an activity for 20-30 minutes. Of course, with supervision and tangential interaction (of the "mommy, look what I made" variety)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 12:09 am
What's wrong with Playmobile? I remember teething on some of them, but I never swallowed any! I loved mine. My sister and I used to fight over them all the time.

I really wanted to get some for DD, but they were way too expensive and they NEVER go on sale.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 12:14 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
What's wrong with Playmobile? I remember teething on some of them, but I never swallowed any! I loved mine. My sister and I used to fight over them all the time.

I really wanted to get some for DD, but they were way too expensive and they NEVER go on sale.

There's nothing WRONG with them (besides, as you mentioned, all the little choking hazard pieces - even the ones that specifically say they're for younger children and have chunkier pieces) but I just don't think they're as much fun for a 2-year-old. They're ridiculously expensive so for your $100 you can maybe get two little playsets, and how many scenes can a kid who's barely old enough for that kind of pretend play act out? My IL's have an adorable little playground set and my kids were crazy over it when they first saw it, but until you get into real imaginative role-play and have another person to play with, how many times can you be entertained by putting your mentchie up the ladder, down the slide, on the swing, and on the bench? You set it up, play for a few minutes, and then what? My 2-year-old did love it but if I had to choose something to have in my own house (little pieces and all) Duplo or train set wins hands down.

Chocomama

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 3:12 pm
How about wooden blocks? that was my best purchase. my kids still play with them and get more sophisticated with their buildings as they get older.

maapse

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 3:20 pm
DUPLO!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics