Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Extra charge for mashgiach

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:45 am
I know when you hire a caterer, many charge an extra fee for the mashgiach (or he charges a separate fee). Is this the kind of thing where they charge it separately but its not actually optional, or does this mean the caterer will serve the event without a mashgiach if you choose to opt out? I feel like no reputable hashgacha would allow this.
I have a family Simcha coming up. The relative making it is not frum but is using a reputable kosher caterer. DH worries that they may have opted out of the mashgiach, in which case, we wouldn't feel comfortable eating the food. But I can't imagine this caterer would agree to have their food served without a mashgiach. It would totally damage their reputation. Can I assume that there is no opting out of a mashgiach, or do I have to clarify? And if opting out is possible, how is that even allowed?

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:01 am
You should clarify. I've had it where a caterer dropped off food at the venue (in this case, a shul for sheva berachos), and then left it up to the hosts to warm it, serve it, etc., such that the actual event was not under the caterer's hashgacha, and they were only guaranteeing that what was dropped off was kosher. I don't know if that's unusual or not, but given your concern, I wouldn't take it for granted that there will be a mashgiach.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:47 am
Offer to pay for the mashgiach yourselves, you'd be doing a chessed for all the guests...

wifenmother

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:18 am
It depends a lot on the individual caterer. Sometimes the additional charge is for a mashgiach temidi only. OP you'll probably want to ask.

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:29 am
most simchos I have been at there is a card on the table saying "x caterers, under the supervision of rabbi Y or Beis Din z."

You can always call the caterer or supervising rabbi to check, but I can't imagine there will be no hashgacha.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:22 am
Smaller smachos without waiters etc may well have only the food

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:33 am
I ended up calling. They do send a mashgiach to all events, there is no opting out. They are under a major national hashgacha. I figured as much. This is a typical New York style simcha- shmorg, followed by sit down meal, in a hall with a dedicated kosher kitchen. I imagined there was no way they would do it without oversight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics