Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pastrami roast-help

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:23 pm
help please.
I have a pastrami roast, a little over 2 pounds. it came in a sealed thick plastic bag. I think I heard I can cook it in water?
Do I remove it from the bag first?
How do I go about this?
thanks in advance!

anon because my identity may be be revealed...

rosebunch

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:43 pm
My fave!
Remove from plastic and try to wash off the pickling spice the most you can. Place in pot and fill water to cover roll entirely. Cook it up once and once it starts boiling, spill water and fill up with fresh water again (so it's not so salty). Cook for 3 hours on low to medium flame covered. (After 1.5 hours, turn roll so it cooks evenly).

Another alternative : saute onion, add roll, water, 2 squash, 2 carrots (peeled, but not cubed). Cook for 3 hours, turning roll after 1.5 hours. When done, remove squash and carrots and a bit of water to blend and use as sauce.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:55 pm
LEAVE IN BAG! Put it in a deep 9×13 pan with water ,cover well and bake overnight at 275.or bake 5 hrs at 350.Easiest and best meat.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 8:45 am
Thank you both for your replies. Think I'll flip a coin to choose which method Smile

jflower

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:01 am
Baking a roast in a plastic bag may not be the most healthful method of preparing this meat. Who knows what chemicals will leach out?

I made a pastrami roast by removing it from the bag, putting it in a heavy bottom stainless steel pot along with the pickling spices & adding water to about halfway up the roast. I tasted the water about halfway thru (total of about 2.5 hours at low heat) & since it didn't taste overly salty I left the liquid alone. It came out delicious.

I once changed the water while potting a roast, and it came out pretty tasteless. Now I taste the water before discarding. If it's not too salty I don't replace it.

Good luck.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:17 am
This is a trick a butcher taught me.

Preheat oven to 275. Take the roast out of the bag and place it in a pan with the juices. On the bottom rack of the oven put a pan full of water, and then place the pan with the roast on the upper rack. This keeps the roast moist while baking.

Bake for 4 hours.

Easiest method and comes out perfect every time!

anon cuz I tell everyone I know about this!

pingo

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:12 pm
Do you bake roast covered or uncovered

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:

Preheat oven to 275. Take the roast out of the bag and place it in a pan with the juices. On the bottom rack of the oven put a pan full of water, and then place the pan with the roast on the upper rack. This keeps the roast moist while baking.

Bake for 4 hours.

Sounds yum.
How much juice do you get? My pastrami roast doesn't have juice, just wet seasoning clinging to roast.
And do you bake covered or uncovered?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:09 pm
I'm so enjoying this thread. I made a traditional pastrami for last shabbos. It took a week to cure in the fridge, 10 hours to smoke and another 4 hours to finish.

I'm clueless as to how one would prepare pastrami in a bag.

rosebunch

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm so enjoying this thread. I made a traditional pastrami for last shabbos. It took a week to cure in the fridge, 10 hours to smoke and another 4 hours to finish.

I'm clueless as to how one would prepare pastrami in a bag.

I purchase it that way from meat shop

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds yum.
How much juice do you get? My pastrami roast doesn't have juice, just wet seasoning clinging to roast.
And do you bake covered or uncovered?

You get a little juice but you don't really use it.

Bake uncovered

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:

Bake for 4 hours.

How big of a roast? 4 pounds?
And do you do this with corned beef?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen