Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
American citizenship and Passport Question- ASAP
1  2  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:34 am
Hi, I need your help!
We have been in the process of making our israeli kids American citizens for a while now. We have an appointment in a couple of weeks.
The thing is, my kids needed a visa in order to enter the US.
So we got a visa but weret told it's a one point entrence visa and that my kids won't be able to leave the US without an American Passport.
DH asked them right away how long that would take and they said : start the process now.

OK we go home and we can't find much info about it.

Does anyone know anything about such a situation? Can we apply fr a passport before the kids actually get their citizenship? How long should the process be? Are we going to be stuck in the US for 3 weeks- that's what DH gathers from MR Google but I'm not sure he's looking at the right place/

We are soooo confused. Neither one of us can off for that long from work! We don't have where to stay for such a long time etc.

Any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

ally

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
Hi, I need your help!
We have been in the process of making our israeli kids American citizens for a while now. We have an appointment in a couple of weeks.
So we got a visa but weret told it's a one point entrence visa and that my kids won't be able to leave the US without an American Passport.
DH asked them right away how long that would take and they said : start the process now.

Does anyone know anything about such a situation? Can we apply fr a passport before the kids actually get their citizenship? How long should the process be? Are we going to be stuck in the US for 3 weeks- that's what DH gathers from MR Google but I'm not sure he's looking at the right place/

We are soooo confused. Neither one of us can off for that long from work! We don't have where to stay for such a long time etc.

You file the citizenship and passport papers at the same time.
Once your kids are US citizens, they cannot travel to the States without US passports.
Email the consulate here and tell them your date of travel to the US. They can accelerate the process here and get you citizenship and passports before you leave.

ally

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:45 am
You need to contact the embassy as a US citizen. Not as a foreign applicant for a visa.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:48 am
amother wrote:
Hi, I need your help!

Are you in Israel now? I was told, many times, that a child who can get american citizenship, meaning parents are american citizens (one one) have to get citizenship and can not enter with a visa.
We had this issue with my daughter years ago. We were told that she was not allowed to enter american with a visa since I was an american citizen, she is one and she will only be allowed in with an american passport.

I think you should check all of this out again. I dont think you will be allowed out of israel and into america with a visa because said children are not allowed to enter with a visa.

hope that made some sense.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:51 am
ally wrote:
You file the citizenship and passport papers at the same time.
Once your kids are US citizens, they cannot travel to the States without US passports.
Email the consulate here and tell them your date of travel to the US. They can accelerate the process here and get you citizenship and passports before you leave.

Thanks!
When we try to apply for a passport we need a proff of citizenship which we do not have yet...BTW I know that once theyre citizens they cannot leave Israel without a US passport but what suprised us today was that we were told that the kids cannot leave the US back to Israel before they issue the US paspport in the US! Nornally I think people do the passports in Israel when they come back.

I will call the embassy at 2 when their lines are open for American citizens, hope they can help though from experiece they usually don'tSad

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:52 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Are you in Israel now? I was told, many times, that a child who can get american citizenship, meaning parents are american citizens (one one) have to get citizenship and can not enter with a visa.
We had this issue with my daughter years ago. We were told that she was not allowed to enter american with a visa since I was an american citizen, she is one and she will only be allowed in with an american passport.

I think you should check all of this out again. I dont think you will be allowed out of israel and into america with a visa because said children are not allowed to enter with a visa.

hope that made some sense.

Thanks, you are right but that's only true for kids who are American by being born to american parents. We aren't american but we are getting them a citizenship through grandparents...so they technically cannot get an american passport before they're american...and we werer defintely told they need a visa to enter the US.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:53 am
amother wrote:
Thanks, you are right but that's only true for kids who are American by being born to american parents. We aren't american but we are getting them a citizenship through grandparents...so they technically cannot get an american passport before they're american...and we werer defintely told they need a visa to enter the US.
ah, ok, not american parents so definitely different.
Good luck!

abound

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:55 am
I have relatives that did this. I will try to find out.

ally

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:17 am
amother wrote:
Thanks!
When we try to apply for a passport we need a proff of citizenship which we do not have yet...BTW I know that once theyre citizens they cannot leave Israel without a US passport but what suprised us today was that we were told that the kids cannot leave the US back to Israel before they issue the US paspport in the US! Nornally I think people do the passports in Israel when they come back.

I will call the embassy at 2 when their lines are open for American citizens, hope they can help though from experiece they usually don'tSad

We have found they respond to email very efficiently.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:22 am
abound wrote:
I have relatives that did this. I will try to find out.

Thanks a million gazillion that would be amazing.
I know someone who went through the process of getting their kids citizenship but they did the American passports much later when they were back in Israel. For some reason we were instructed to get the passports done right away and otherwise won't be able to leave the US which sounds so strange to me.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:23 am
ally wrote:
We have found they respond to email very efficiently.

Really? I've tried in the past for a different reason and though they did reply to the email, the reply made very little sense and was not helpful at all.

ally

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:40 am
amother wrote:
Really? I've tried in the past for a different reason and though they did reply to the email, the reply made very little sense and was not helpful at all.

Make sure your question is clear and if you don't understand the response, you can send a second email.

abound

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:47 am
my cousins did not get a US passport in the US. She actually never did,s he got the citenzenship but did not need a passport again so she never made them passports.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:55 am
abound wrote:
my cousins did not get a US passport in the US. She actually never did,s he got the citenzenship but did not need a passport again so she never made them passports.

Right it seems like most people don't need to get a passport. Wondering what they want from us.
Thanks so much for asking your cousin.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:56 am
I'm confused: The grandparents are US citizens but neither of you (the parents) ever bothered to get US citizenship?

Do the grandparents live in the US or are they in Israel? Or somewhere else?

Here is the info on getting your child citizenship:
http://www.uscis.gov/policyman......html

ally

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:58 am
amother wrote:
Right it seems like most people don't need to get a passport. Wondering what they want from us.
Thanks so much for asking your cousin.

If you are filing for citizenship in the US, then it makes sense you will need a passport to leave the country.
It could be that since there is no border control on the way out, you used to be able to slip through the cracks but they have probably clamped down on this.

ally

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:59 am
DrMom wrote:
I'm confused: The grandparents are US citizens but neither of you (the parents) ever bothered to get US citizenship?

If a US citizen did not live in the States for more than 2(?) years after age 14, they cannot transfer citizenship by descent. But a grandparent can.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:17 am
DrMom wrote:

My DH did get a U.S. citizenship but he can't get one for the kids only his parents can because they lived there for long enough

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:19 am
ally wrote:
If you are filing for citizenship in the US, then it makes sense you will need a passport to leave the country.
It could be that since there is no border control on the way out, you used to be able to slip through the cracks but they have probably clamped down on this.

I guess it sort of makes sense but we can't figure out how long it takes to get the passports - how many weeks are we going to have too stay in the U.S. for this ?

mo5

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:20 am
My children have travelled jn and out of the us on non American passports- before I got them citizenship.

I believe that getting citizenship thru grandparents has to actually be done in the USA (from what friends have told me) but you should still be able to travel on their non us passport until they actually get the citizenship. You might need to make an appointment before you get there so you don't have to wait weeks for one.

Furthermore, unlike Israel and other countries, there is no passport control when leaving the USA, so how can Having a foreign passport stop them? As long as the passport is valid for the country to which they are heading!!!

*when I go to the airport to leave the USA, my children have to show their Non-us passport to the travel desk, we didn't take out us passports at all- and this was in the last few months.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions