Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mice in Supermarket

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:41 am
I was in a very popular Supermarket in Brooklyn yesterday & saw a mouse running from one aisle to the next aisle.
I asked a worker if this is an usual occurrence? He answered so calmly that they are full of mice. I asked if they are doing anything about it & he says we put out some traps & poison but they out number us.
I suggested they get some cats so he says we would need dozens of them to get rid of the problem.

Am I the only one horrified from this or is this a normal thing?

(Anonymous since discussed this with people IRL.)

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:57 am
Unfortunately, I believe it is normal. I have seen mice in supermarkets. I once went into the storage room of a supermarket and rats were running all over the place. I have seen food (usually bread) on the shelves that had little tooth marks in the packages and/or the food.

Just make sure the stuff you buy is sealed and nobody has bitten into it.

chatz

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:32 pm
I would be horrified, but maybe I'm naive.

From my own experience with mice, if mice get into food, it should be obvious. So how can a supermarket have mice running around without all the bread, snacks, etc getting torn into?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:39 pm
This is unimaginable to me. It's so appalling I have no words.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:17 pm
As much as I assume that groceries probably have mice, if they'd be running about in the sight if their customers, it's enough if a reason for me to stop shopping there.

Is this a grocery that also packages their own food? (Pastries, sushi, cut fruits etc?)

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:45 pm
It's very normal for an establishment that sells food to have some level of infestation, though not precisely normal for the mice to be frolicking in full sight of customers. They usually hang out in dark, quiet areas like the basement or the back near the dumpsters. The business is supposed to keep them under control by whatever means necessary, but having a cat is not an acceptable means of control . Furry animals, except for service animals like seeing-eye dogs, are not permitted in establishments that sell food. It is definitely a constant battle. In theory there should be no evidence of vermin whatsoever but in the real world they are everywhere.

Inspect packaged goods very carefully. As long as packaging is intact, you should be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics