Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dealing with low self esteem and bullying

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:53 am
Any advice from the experts how to deal with a DS who is chubby and has a low self esteem because of it? I need him to love himself since he's being bullied in school as well Sad
Advice or reading material suggestions?
Thx!

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 8:21 am
How old is he? I believe that if a kid feels loved by others, he will love himself more easily. The more love you show to him on a regular basis, the better off he'll be. Try to encourage him in building friendships, so he'll feel loved by friends too. Invite other kids over and see which ones interact well with him. Then invite those kids over again.

It is also helpful if a kid has a talent that can be developed. Is he musical, artistic, or athletic? Give him something to feel proud of.

Also, help him learn what to do when other kids make fun of him or bully him. It may help for you to speak to an expert, so you can know what to tell him. Help him stick up for himself. Teach him not to feel put down when other kids are being mean.

hannah22

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 8:36 am
If he's being bullied at school you should tell the teacher about it. Boosting his self esteem will help with day to day life and his well being but the bullying must stop. It is unacceptable. If the school is a decent school they will have an anti bullying procedure in place and will take your complaint seriously and make sure the bullying is put a stop to.
the kids bullying your son are the ones with the problems.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:15 am
I agree with the other mothers above- find a skill/talent or something he loves to do and build his elf esteem around that. My dd had a similar issue self esteem. We found an amazing karate school and the teacher really focused on making each child feel special and accomplished-it built her self esteem and no one bugged her once they saw how many boards she could break with her foot!

STMommy

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 11:20 am
I think you would be doing your DS a world of good if you could help him learn assertive communication skills. He will have them for life.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 11:42 am
STMommy wrote:
I think you would be doing your DS a world of good if you could help him learn assertive communication skills. He will have them for life.

Op here. Any advice how to do that?
And I like everyone's suggestions regarding developing a talent. Gonna inquire about that one!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics