Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is is it ok to start an email without using "Dear"?
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:34 am
If I am writing to a professional person, but we are discussing a situation, over many emails, do I have to use the word "Dear" every time I reply? Or after the first email can I just say my response? As in starting the email with "I think this looks good" or such like?
Is that rude to not use Dear (her name)?

questioner

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:40 am
no salutations in replies.

In general, I think that "Hi" is used more than Dear in professional communication via email.

pickle321

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:43 am
What she said ^
I never use dear in an email. Only hi. And it's not necessary if you've been corresponding for a few emails already.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:08 am
If I׳m sending an email to our rabbi, I feel uncomfortable starting with "Dear" and even with "Hi". What kind of salutation do I begin with?

egam

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
If I׳m sending an email to our rabbi, I feel uncomfortable starting with "Dear" and even with "Hi". What kind of salutation do I begin with?

I would use "Hello".

wifenmother

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:31 am
egam wrote:
I would use "Hello".

Or with a greeting such as 'Good Day' 'Good evening' 'Good Chodesh', etc

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:32 am
I think it's a generational thing. If I were emailing my rabbi or any other person in equivalent position, I would use "Dear" unless it's an email to someone who happens to be your Rabbi and you are writing on a personal informal basis as one might to a friend. But I assume you are emailing to him in his position as a "Rabbi".

I tend to err on the side of formality in stuff like that though as I would treat it as a communication sent by email - rather than email.

But I am not 20 and so I grew up with formal business communication etiquette :-) But I still think that absent extenuating circumstances, people are never insulted by being a little too formal - I.e. I would call an older person Mr. or Mrs. unless they said to use their first name.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:37 am
Completely unnecessary.

supty

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:47 am
For professional reply, I usually just write the persons name with a comma after, ie

Jeff,

And then write the email. Sometimes I'll add hi or dear before the name but it depends who/what.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:49 am
I would just start with:

Rabbi X,

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:58 am
I say kvod harav. Or "good day mr rabbi/rabbi X".

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 11:15 am
I never use "dear" even in initial emails. I usually say "Hello, X," and then continue my email.

And it's for sure not necessary in follow-up or reply emails. There's no need for any kind or greeting at all once you are in middle of a conversation.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 11:47 am
Good evening,

This is my letter.

Thank you,
Tigerwife

Miri7

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:07 pm
In a back and forth you can just write your message.

Or say "John, ....."

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:16 pm
As was said, you don't need a header nor greeting mid conversation. Use correct punctuation, spelling, capitalization and grammar to keep it professional. Full sentences as well.
Signature can be just your name.

agreer

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 1:59 pm
Whenever I write a note to my rabbi (usually along with my bedika cloths, but even in a text), I start off, "Hi Rabbi X..." . I think it's fine.

Depending on what it was, I would say "Dear Rabbi X..."... as long as it's not a business situation.

For business, I almost never write "Dear..." anyone, rabbi or not.

mille

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:17 pm
I use hi or hello, and I send probably dozens of professional emails daily.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:19 pm
Amarante wrote:
I think it's a generational thing. If I were emailing my rabbi or any other person in equivalent position, I would use "Dear" unless it's an email to someone who happens to be your Rabbi and you are writing on a personal informal basis as one might to a friend. But I assume you are emailing to him in his position as a "Rabbi".

I tend to err on the side of formality in stuff like that though as I would treat it as a communication sent by email - rather than email.

But I am not 20 and so I grew up with formal business communication etiquette :-) But I still think that absent extenuating circumstances, people are never insulted by being a little too formal - I.e. I would call an older person Mr. or Mrs. unless they said to use their first name.

My sentiments exactly. If a person wants you to use her first name, she will tell you, but she may seethe silently if you call her "Marie" when she wants to be called "Dr. Curie".

If you are in the middle of an ongoing email conversation, you can just respond to the received message as you would if you were conversing in person, no intro, no complimentary close. If you are initiating a conversation, it really depends on the circumstances and your relationship. If your relationship is informal and you are peers, a simple "Hi, Marie, did you finish the grant proposal?" is fine. Even "Marie, are you going to the quarterly meeting next week?" is fine. If you are not on such informal terms, and certainly if the person is a stranger to you, start with Dear Mr/Ms. With the possible exception of life forms newly arrived from the Planet Ork, everyone knows this is a social convention and not a statement of affection. ("My dear Mr./Ms." or "My dearest Mr. /Ms." is something else entirely and has no place in business communication.) However, since email is less formal than a letter, you could skip the doe a dear entirely and open with "Good Morning, Mr. Phelps" .

If the other person is your superior in the hierarchy, take your cue from her. If she starts an email every time "Dear Ms. Washington." and signs "Marie S. Curie, PhD, Director" then you'd best start "Dear Dr. Curie" and sign "Martha C. Washington, Technician III".

Very truly yours,
Zenobia Z. Zaqarias
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:22 pm
questioner wrote:
no salutations in replies.

In general, I think that "Hi" is used more than Dear in professional communication via email.

Thank you! Inasmuch as grade school was umpty-six years ago, I could not for anything remember what that part of a letter was called. Astonishing enough that I remembered "complimentary close".

smilingmom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 3:40 pm
I usually use " good morning Lisa" or "good afternoon Mr. Smith"
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette