Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Omni won't provide therapist or release the case
1  2  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:33 pm
To make a long story short, we have not been having a good OT experience with omni and now they say they have nobody available to come to the house and no convenient slots available in the center. They tell me to find my own therapist who will work through omni. Everyone I speak to refers me to therapists who only take RSA, yet omni refuses to release the case. Any ideas or helpful advice???

Fabulous

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:36 pm
Call or better yet go down to the board of Ed and tell them that. They can give you an rsa

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 6:50 pm
Unfortunately they are known for this.
Call the board of ed.

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:19 pm
I agree with ra_mom. I had similar story. I fought and fought and fought and fought with them. I needed a special kind of therapist and they wanted me to convince the therapists to work with them. But most therapist hate them so they refuse. Eventually I won and they released the case. U might have to go down to the BOE if you don't have patience fighting.

yenny

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:26 pm
Don't give in, but warn them that by this and this day you will report to boe

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:29 pm
You don't necessarily have to go down to the boe. You can just call them. He very assertive, bordering on mean. Sound extremely frustrated. Have them give omni a deadline by the end of the week-the latest. It can be done. I know many cases where it has been done successfully. Be persistent. This is your child!

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:38 pm
Old story. Omni is notorious for this. You have to keep pressuring them and then after a bit of time you will have to go down to the board of ed for it
Good luck. You'll need lots of it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:53 pm
Thanks everyone, I left a message and sent email to Ron Gill. Will try again in the am.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
You don't necessarily have to go down to the boe. You can just call them. He very assertive, bordering on mean. Sound extremely frustrated. Have them give omni a deadline by the end of the week-the latest. It can be done. I know many cases where it has been done successfully. Be persistent. This is your child!

Strongly disagree. Assertive does not need to border on mean or sound extremely frustrated. Our community as a whole has a bad rap with the DOE due to people thinking this way. Be firm but respectful at all times. Ask them for help with a tone of assumption that they will want to help you. Assertiveness comes from knowing your rights and insisting on them, not from raising your voice or using harsh language.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:20 pm
Is Omni within their legal rights to not release the case even though they can't service it?

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
Is Omni within their legal rights to not release the case even though they can't service it?

No. I don't know the exact amount of time they legally have, but if an agency can't provide the services within a certain amount of time (was it 2 weeks?) then they need to pass it along.

The problem is that I think by default it goes back to the DOE to the next agency and sits on THEIR desk for a while, and so on until they run out of agencies. So you need to be more assertive to get the RSA. It might help if you have a provider lined up already and say "THIS person is ready to work with my child right now, my child is mandated to have services right now, the agency is not providing, so please give me an RSA so the child can get the services her IEP said should have started a month ago."

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 10:20 am
Thing is, we have been getting services, we tried clinic for a few months in the beginning of the year and my child cried throughout. We fought with them till they found us someone to come to our house. She cancels more often than not and After a few months she still spends much of the session trying to convince my child to play, she is not accomplishing anything.
I said to omni, what if she just doesn't get OT, they said, if you sue it will be on your child's school not us because they don't let OT in the school. Wow! I never would've thought of suing them, now I can't get it out of my mind.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 10:45 am
You can probably benefit from the services of an advocate. Your focus needs to be on getting the best services for your child, rather than spilling frustration on Omni (btw I agree they're being a pain)

seeker

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Thing is, we have been getting services, we tried clinic for a few months in the beginning of the year and my child cried throughout. We fought with them till they found us someone to come to our house. She cancels more often than not and After a few months she still spends much of the session trying to convince my child to play, she is not accomplishing anything.
I said to omni, what if she just doesn't get OT, they said, if you sue it will be on your child's school not us because they don't let OT in the school. Wow! I never would've thought of suing them, now I can't get it out of my mind.

AFAIK if your child is in a non-public school they are absolutely NOT required to allow related services within the school. That's why you have the option to have it at home/clinic. Only public schools are required to provide related services within the school system (or else give an RSA, but that's less usual)

amother
Wine

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 2:32 pm
When it comes to legalities, omni is very careful to follow the rules. For example, they say a lot of stuff over the phone, but when it comes to things in writing they are extremely careful. I would be surprised if they said that to you in an email and it wasn't true.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 4:42 pm
I know many people who've had similar experiences.
You can call Mrs. Toba Lichtenstein who works at Otzar she is an advocate and can guide you how to get the services/therapist you need, and how to deal with the BOED.
The number to Otzar is 718 946-7301, and ask for her extension, she will prob call you back in the evening. She also leaves an e-mail on her voicemail.

Your child is mandated for services and if she is not getting it there are parental rights!
As well many times if you mention you would go for an impartial hearing to get the services you need...they will work with you
Hatzlachah

octopus

Post Sat, May 02 2015, 10:30 pm
seeker wrote:
Strongly disagree. Assertive does not need to border on mean or sound extremely frustrated. Our community as a whole has a bad rap with the DOE due to people thinking this way. Be firm but respectful at all times. Ask them for help with a tone of assumption that they will want to help you. Assertiveness comes from knowing your rights and insisting on them, not from raising your voice or using harsh language.

Look, I'm all for being respectful, but oh pleasE! you think that the italian, irish, hispanic, or black mothers don't raise their voices??? or use harsh language??? The Jewish mothers are not any worse than the other moms. (again I'm not advocating yelling and cursing but I hate when ppl put down the whole community like that- that just smacks of something....hmmmm....)

amother
Wine

Post Sat, May 02 2015, 10:58 pm
seeker wrote:

I'm sorry I came across that way. I was really trying to get my point across, and didn't explain clearly. I see the op as someone who was taken for a ride by omni, that can very well happen by the boe. Unless, she is extremely assertive. People who are not naturally assertive can't just become assertive by just being told to do so. So, to get the point across, I used the word "mean". Regarding expressing frustration, I still stand by that. There is a respectful way to show frustration. The boe should be aware of the issues, and expressing how frustrated one is allows them to see more of how parents are treated.

seeker

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 12:10 am
octopus wrote:
Look, I'm all for being respectful, but oh pleasE! you think that the italian, irish, hispanic, or black mothers don't raise their voices??? or use harsh language??? The Jewish mothers are not any worse than the other moms. (again I'm not advocating yelling and cursing but I hate when ppl put down the whole community like that- that just smacks of something....hmmmm....)

I'm not making assumptions about others, I am just relaying an important message I have heard over and over from people with influence: be respectful, be calm, ask for help, don't attack. This advice usually comes in the context of having had the opposite experience. I do not think most people are that way but each one who is makes a strong impression.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 9:23 pm
Update: I sent a respectful and detailed email to Ron Gill, asking if there is any way he can help, he spoke to them, and within 24 hours, he emailed me back that he instructed them to release the case and I should have my new provider email him to arrrange for independent contract.
Now, to find a good OT with available time...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers