Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Need elegant recipe asap, need to buy ing now

chevi1

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 5:42 am
Please help me! I need to rush and buy ing. now.
I was asked to contribute something to a bar mitzva dessert buffet on sun, it's now erev shabbos and I'll be out of the house all of sun.
dont have a lot of time.
please give me ideas plus recipe for something easy but elegant looking that I can make. I am not a great baker....
was gonna make thise bought cigar shells that you just have to fill with a cream, but none left in store
any ideas????

etky

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 5:44 am
First thing that comes to mind that is easy for last minute and doesn't require fancy ingredients: choc. chip sticks. They look very nice and you can dip half in melted chocolate and sprinkle with nuts for a more elegant presentation.

chevi1

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 5:54 am
etky wrote:
First thing that comes to mind that is easy for last minute and doesn't require fancy ingredients: choc. chip sticks. They look very nice and you can dip half in melted chocolate and sprinkle with nuts for a more elegant presentation.

do u have a recipe?

etky

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 5:59 am
chevi1 wrote:
do u have a recipe?

Chocolate Chip Sticks

servings:
Makes 2 dozen

Ingredients

Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate morsels

directions

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.

2. Combine oil, sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl, mixing well. Stir in egg and vanilla.

3. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt tossing with a fork. Stir into egg mixture, blending well. Fold in chocolate morsels.

4. Form dough into two 3- to 4-inch wide logs. Place on the prepared baking sheets.

5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, checking after 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

6. Cool 10 minutes; cut slightly warm into sticks.

Source:The Kosher Palette (p.251)

You can double the recipe easily and place 2 logs on each sheet. BTW I would bake them no longer than 20 minutes otherwise they are very (too) crispy IMO. You can melt choc. in the microwave and dip half the sticks in and then sprinkle chopped nuts or I read somewhere where someone wrote that she just sprinkles extra choc. chips on top after they are baked, waits a few minutes and then spreads them over the loaves when they are melted before sprinkling the nuts.

chevi1

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 6:10 am
thank you!

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 6:19 am
Dip some in crushed nuts or coconut.

chevi1

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 6:45 am
thank you!

chevi1

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 6:48 am
how do I cut it into sticks? excuse my ignorance😌

etky

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 7:10 am
Do it while they are still warm but not right out of the oven.
Take a long serrated knife, like a bread knife and press down on the loaf, all at once, with the full length of the blade to separate each slice - not in a back and forth sawing motion. I find this makes nice clean slices and decreases the risk of the slices falling apart. It also helps not to make the slices too thin. I get about 14-16 slices from each loaf.

cbg

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 7:45 am
I would buy something already made and re package it.
I know it's cheating, but as long as they don't ask, I dont tell.

cbg

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 7:52 am
cbg wrote:
I would buy something already made and re package it.
I know it's cheating, but as long as they don't ask, I dont tell.

If you feel bad about doing this, how about cholate dip pretzel rods.
Buy thick pretzel rods
Chocolate chips
Toppings: sprinkles, chopped nuts, coconut, melted white chocolate

1. Melt chocolate in a cup in the microwave
2. Dip rod 1/2 way
3. Sprinkle topping
4. Stand up in a cup to dry.
While you do the next 1 or 2 the first one should be hardened.

I still like my first idea better, though.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 8:09 am
These cookies look beautiful when made because of the three different colored layers. They are very easy to make as well. I used three tin baking pans (the disposable kind) because I didn't have enough of the right size.

The recipe looks WAY more complicated than it is because you make the batter which is fairly easy - divide it and then tint two with the red and green food color to get the layers.

They look just like the cookies in the bakeries. To get the shine on the frosting like bakery cookies, you do need to use that tiny bit of shortening otherwise it doesn't get that glossy smooth shinr like a real bakery frosting.

Melt the jam in the microwave before using to spread between the layers. Raspberry jam is also good if you prefer. You just have to warm it for a few seconds so that it becomes easy to spread - you don't want to really heat it up.

Tri Colored Cookies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Good Housekeeping

Ingredients:

1 tube or can (7 or 8 ounces) Almond Paste, broken into small pieces
3/4 cup Butter or Margarine (1 1/2 sticks) softened
1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
3 large Eggs
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
15 drops Red Food Coloring
15 drops Green Food Coloring
2/3 cup Apricot Preserves
3 ounces Semi Sweet Chocolate
1 teaspoon Vegetable Shortening

Directions:

. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8x8 disposable or metal baking pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper; grease and flour waxed paper.

2. In a large bowl, with mixer at medium-high speed, beat Almond Paste with Butter, Sugar and Almond Extract until well blended (there will be some small lumps of almond paste remaining).
Reduce speed to medium; beat in Eggs 1 at a time, until blended. Reduce speed to low; beat in Flour and Salt until just combined.

3. Transfer one-third of batter (about 1 rounded cup) to small bowl. Transfer half of remaining batter to another small bowl. (You should have equal amounts of batter in each bowl.) Stir Red Food Coloring into one bowl of batter until evenly blended. Repeat with Green Food Coloring and another bowl of batter, leaving 1 bowl untinted. (Batters may still have small lumps of almond paste remaining.)

4. Spoon untinted batter into 1 pan. With metal spatula (offset if possible), spread batter evenly (layer will be about 3/4 inch thick). Repeat with red batter in second pan. Repeat with green batter in remaining pan.

5. Bake layers on 2 oven racks 10-12 minutes, rotating pans between upper and lower racks halfway through baking time, until layers are set and toothpick inserted in center of layers comes out clean.

6. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Run knife around sides of pans to loosen layers. Invert layers onto racks, leaving waxed paper attached; cool completely.

7. When layers are cool, press Apricot Preserves through coarse sieve into small bowl to remove any large pieces of fruit. Remove waxed paper from green layer. Invert green layer onto flat plate or small cutting board; spread with half of apricot preserves. Remove waxed paper from untinted layer; invert onto green layer. Spread with remaining apricot preserves. Remove waxed paper from red layer; invert onto untinted layer.

8. In 1 quart saucepan, heat chocolate with shortening over low heat until melted, stirring frequently. Spread melted chocolate mixture on top of red layer (not on sides); refrigerate until chocolate is firm, at least 1 hour. If you like, after chocolate has set, cover and refrigerate stacked layers up to 3 days before cutting and serving.

9. To serve, with serrated knife, trim edges (about 1/4 inch from each side). Cut stacked layers into six strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 6 pieces. Store cookies in single layer, in
refrigerated, covered container for up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months – ( I used wax paper between the layers of cookies and they really held up well for 1 week.)

Lady Bug

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 1:08 pm
Napolean squares:

Yitzys mini squares
vanilla custard

Bake the squares until light brown and puffed up. Cut in half lengthwise to reduce thickness. Fill with cream and layer 3 half-squares. sprinkle with confection sugar.

ruby slippers

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 1:55 pm
I know you said elegant- but everyone loves a good rice krispy treat!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 5:13 pm
If you are OK spending on ingredients then chocolate covered strawberries are a hit. Melt chocolate in a double boiler, dip in berries and cool on a piece of wax paper. For a fancier look melt white and dark chocolate and then drizzle the opposite color over the top.

Liebs

Post Sat, May 02 2015, 3:50 pm
eema1 wrote:
I know you said elegant- but everyone loves a good rice krispy treat!

You can cut with pretty shaped cookie cutter.

Liebs

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:19 am
Iymnok wrote:
Dip some in crushed nuts or coconut.

Sounds pretty and how do you package it?
Found this thread, making for friend's shalom zachar.
What shape plate do you put it on?

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:46 am
Those sticks are very good. I make them often. I bake as a log and slice into sticks (similar to baking biscotti).

Either I lay out on a rectangle tray - 2 layers. Put in fridge in between layers to set the chocolate and toppings. Recently I just drizzled with chocolate and put into a globe vase from the dollar store - it looked very pretty.

Vanilla

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:02 am
Fast and easy...no bake.....tiramisu in a triflr bowl.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:17 am
Vanilla wrote:
Fast and easy...no bake.....tiramisu in a triflr bowl.

Welcome Vanilla. (You're making it on to a matching thread in a minute Wink )
As an FYI for everyone, this is a great thread but if OP's following, maybe she can rename it to reflect the lack of urgency. Something like, The Thread for Easy Elegant Dessert Recipes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins