Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO Montessori Bais Yaakov in the US
1  2  Next

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 12:27 am
My daughter is almost two years old, so I still have a little time, but I'm starting to think about our long term plans. I am looking for a Montessori bais yaakov school for her. Obviously, it needs to be a pre-school, but I'm also looking for one with an elementary so she doesn't have to switch tracks. Location is flexible within the US; I would consider most places where there is a quality school.

If you send to a Montessori bais yaakov:
1. Where is it?
2. What specifically do you like about it?
3. What drawbacks does it have?

Thanks in advance!

seeker

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 12:54 am
I am pretty sure Bais Yaakov of Boro Park has a montessori preschool section. They have a solid elementary school attached as well but I am not sure whether the montessori program extends past preschool.

dhithere

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 12:56 am
Bais yackov of boro park has one.
Pple that send there are very happy.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 7:47 pm
"Al Pi Darko" Montessouri program in Bais Yaakov of Boro Park (Brooklyn, NY). Now up to Nursery-Grade 2. They add a class each year. The parents and students seem happy and the program director enjoys giving tours and discussing it. 718-436-7300. Good luck!

Maya

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 7:49 pm
There is one in East Brunswick, NJ. You can probably find some threads on it here on Imamother.

This is the link to the website.
http://mynetivot.com/about-net.....nce/#

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 8:18 pm
FWIW, Cincinnati has a Montessori track in preschool, and is looking to expand it in the older grades starting next year with first grade. No promises how it will pan out.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 11:23 pm
Thanks for all your responses guys! I have a feeling Bais Yaakov of Boro Park is not for me, partly because I'd rather be out of town. Smile I've heard of Netivot, but I don't think it's a bais yaakov. Hashem_Yaazor, do you have any more info about Cincinnati?

librarygirl

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 11:48 pm
I don't send there, and I'm told it's not montessori, but bais yaakov ateres miriam in far rockaway has a discovery based learning program. Maybe someone who sends there can explain more.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:22 am
netivot is not beis yaakov. as HY said Cincy has an established Montessori preschool program. I've seen it personally and spoken to parents who send there. It's very impressive. They would like to make changes to the elementary school as well but it will be a trial process that starts next year. You can speak to the school about their plans but right now its just plans.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:50 am
I have LOADS of info on Cincinnati. You can research some threads, both by searching the correct spelling Cincinnati and the incorrect Cincinatti (and not sure if other variations were used here like Cincinnatti ?) or you can ask me specific questions. But in regards to how the school is going to expand the Montessori? I don't know all that much since it's in the works. The preschool is in its third year of the track and has been very successful. How it will work in the older grades starting next year, remains to be seen. The plan is first grade next year, first and second the following year (with the grades combined ala traditional Montessori style), and then first through third. No plans after that for now....and it's on a year by year trial basis. It will be separated by gender except for next year where it will be separated based on if the child is coming from the traditional or Montessori track, since half the incoming class has no Montessori experience yet so they will be gradually getting the kids used to it for the upcoming year so they can all be together.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:53 am
I could be wrong but- I have a feeling that a school like Cincinnati which is from what I understand the only fully orthodox school in town and is not very large, is not going to be as "strict" Montessori. When you have other schools you have the luxury of making a school a specific educational "type" because anyone who it doesn't work for is welcome to go elsewhere. Beis yaakov of boropark has enough kids to have both a Montessori and non- Montessori tracks. Cincinnati's priority is separating the boys and girls, there isn't enough kids to have 4 classes... for preschool it's co-ed and there are two tracks...
just something for you to consider when choosing in town vs out of town school. I'm not sure how "b'shita" you are about Montessori or more want a school who is open to the idea and realize that the standard classroom isn't best for everyone.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:55 am
hi HY Smile since most of my info is from you feel free to correct LOL

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:21 am
I have a feeling it's not going to be as strict Montessori, especially in the older grades, and especially in the kodesh classes, but it remains to be seen. It's not like they have plans past early elementary anyway. But they are also talking about integrating components into the mainstream classrooms, though what those are I can only begin to guess. I have seen some phenomenal teachers here already doing differentiated learning, they actively engage the class, etc and so while these are not Montessori classrooms, I definitely saw a difference in the way my 4th grader, for example, was taught this year vs last year in a larger, mainstream school elsewhere. I highly doubt they can make the school be completely Montessori, though.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:30 am
so we agree Smile

Freidel1

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 9:54 pm
Hello, I am in the process of opening a small Al Pi Darko program for ages 3-5 years old in Boro Park for Sept 2015. I will post the Open House after Shavout BE"H. Friedel1

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 4:31 pm
I don't know if the imamother who posted is still interested but there is a basis yaakov type Montessori school in cincinnati.

The main school decided not to expand their preschool and a new school opened up that is very frum and is montessori. It is called al pi Darko initiative (apdi). They have a preschool class (3-6) year olds. And a lower elementary class for grades 1-3. I hear amazing things about it. My understanding is that both schools offer al pi Darko preschool classes and both have waiting lists. They learn things my kids only learned in much older grades. Pretty cool.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 8:54 pm
The Cheder/BY in Passaic/Clifton is Montessori - they have up to first grade for the girls but plan to expand each year so if u enter now you should have a grade. There is a full boys program at the Cheder

Batyah85

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:10 pm
in baltimore, they are starting a real montessori school and will be adding on a grade per year: it is called darchei noam montessori.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:11 pm
I really don't think the cheder is montessouri. I have a friend who sends there who sent to a real montessouri school in Brooklyn. She sees a difference.

I send to APDI in cincinnati- b"H my daughter is really thriving there- for her it's a very good fit.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:26 pm
Baltimore's Bais Yaakov has a Montessori preschool class called Al Pi Darko.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics