Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is "Amazon" a business that regular ppl make a lot of $$ ??

heimishmom

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 9:44 pm
I need parnassah and was thinking many times if DH and maybe myself shouldnt start selling on Amazon
Can you please share with me if regular people that you know are earning nice income from selling on amazon
I guess main concern is where to buy the products to sell on Amazon
Can you help me with ideas ?

gande

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 9:55 pm
I know someone who does it. They work very hard. They are making something but not getting rich.

However if you sell your own product and know how to get your item featured you can make nice money.

gp2.0

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 10:09 pm
I know of established businesses that are making nice profits from Amazon, Ebay, Overstock, etc. but it's still a fraction of their overall profits. It's just another way to get ahead and get a "foot in the door" of a growing market. It's easier for them because they already have suppliers, products, etc.

UQT

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 10:18 pm
From my experience, whatever item you can get a hold of, someone else can also and if they sell if for $.10 less than you do, everyone will buy it from them. You have to sell very large quantities for you to really make a living off of it.

heimishmom

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 11:16 pm
I have someone ready to invest upto $50,000 to get the right products, can someone help me source them ?

heimishmom

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:25 am
Any ideas?

oliveoil

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:15 am
hire someone?

Amarante

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:37 am
I think you are putting the cart before the horse. You need to determine what product or service you can sell that would be profitable - and then do a business plan with projected earnings etc.

I know people who sell on the internet but I don't know anyone who invested $50,000 to start. Most people find some kind of niche product that is unique and start from there. I don't know anyone who is supporting a family based solely on internet sales but the people I know treat it as a sideline - they have a unique product of some kind which people are willing to buy over the internet. For example, two of my friends make jewelry and they sell on the internet as well as selling in real life at house parties or flea market types of places. I knew women who sold vintage clothing and jewelry but they were very knowledgeable about styles and pricing and brands.

chayayehudis

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:56 am
My husband sells on amazon as a living. He buys closeout items. He goes to shows and makes contacts with different distributors. It's a tough job but it does make money.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:30 am
chaya yehudis I am clueless can you explain what is tough?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 10:54 am
I work as an SEO. The huge problem with relying solely on Amazon, Ebay, or the like is that you're at their mercy. Amazon is extremely strict, and if you violate their guidelines they will shut you down without a qualm. From one day to the next your business is gone. As others have said, this is not sustainable, and it's the wrong way to go about starting a business. Find a niche product that is unique, and then figure out which channels would be best.

On a side note, Amazon is not as simple as it sounds, it's a lot of hard work.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
I work as an SEO. The huge problem with relying solely on Amazon, Ebay, or the like is that you're at their mercy. Amazon is extremely strict, and if you violate their guidelines they will shut you down without a qualm. From one day to the next your business is gone. As others have said, this is not sustainable, and it's the wrong way to go about starting a business. Find a niche product that is unique, and then figure out which channels would be best.

This is what I wanted to post too.

The ins and out of Amazon can only be fully understood if you're in it. It looks very simple to an outsider.

chayayehudis

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:05 pm
what I mean by tough is that you have a lot of pple doing this business and a lot of competition. its hard finding items that arent flooded

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:

This is true. I work for a company that lists on Amazon. They have 3-4 people working either part-time or full-time on Amazon, and hire consultants several times a year to advise them on the trickier aspects. You can't just rely on one website to sell your items. You need to diversify. The company I work for has three or four of their own websites, they sell on Ebay, Amazon and Overstock, they also have an established business selling wholesale items in a brick-and-mortar establishment for the past 25 years which is where the bulk of their profits comes from.

Selling on Amazon involves:

1) Sourcing a niche product or creating your own
2) Buying it at cheaper prices than anyone else so you can sell it for the same or cheaper than everyone else
3) Photographing your products
4) Writing titles, descriptions for your products
5) Figuring out keywords and SEO
6) Customer service
7) Packaging and shipping items
8) Dealing with returns
9) Communicating with company employees from Amazon, Overstock, etc.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
This is what I wanted to post too.

The ins and out of Amazon can only be fully understood if you're in it. It looks very simple to an outsider.

This. My husband sells on amazon fulfillment Its a lot of time and hard work. Its nit his main job. He said he wouldnt be able to make alot unless he becomes a major operation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics