Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How long a commute is too long?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:47 am
How much would you have to budget for transportation costs? About $1000 per month?

Barbara

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:12 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
If you're trying to discuss my personal experience,
SNIP

No. People were discussing their own experiences, as well as the experiences of their friends and acquaintances. Those experiences apparently differ from your own. You are not the exclusive arbiter and decisor of the experiences of others.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:48 am
Don't forget the toll at the Verrazano is very costly.
Plus, many kids wind up car sick on a long commute, especially in stop & go traffic.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:13 am
Op I think that inflicting a commute like that on young children is cruel. My understanding is that at rush hour that commute (depending on where in bklyn) can take up to 2 hours. Hard on an adult much less a child.

If you're moving to Elizabeth look into the jec school system. If you want to the right or left there are schools in Passaic and Livingston respectively.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:21 am
Barbara wrote:
No. People were discussing their own experiences, as well as the experiences of their friends and acquaintances. Those experiences apparently differ from your own. You are not the exclusive arbiter and decisor of the experiences of others.

I agree with you 100%. I even stated in all of my posts that it's not just about my personal experience, and that other individuals have their own, valid experiences. I shared some positive experiences from those that I know (1 Chassidish family, 2 Yeshivish families, and 1 MO family) as a way for the OP to see that there is another side. I shared my opinion regarding both pros and cons of commuting, some of which are personally applicable, and many of which are not simply because I'm trying to give an authentic idea. I'm not attacking anyone else's personal experience on this thread because it is understand that through all opinions the OP will be able to synthesize the information and see what is appropriate for her, yet other posters (not you) felt it appropriate to attack me personally when I did not even bring up such information. I am not the arbiter, and neither is anyone else on this thread. The only way to present an authentic understanding of the truth of commuting is for all sides to be presented, which you have done a great job of doing.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:54 pm
Okay, commuting from NJ doesn't seem like such a reasonable option.
Since keeping our kids in their Brooklyn school is important to us, but Brooklyn is unaffordable, what are our options?
I see there are some nice houses in LI for under $500k, and my kids have classmates who commute from there.
Anyone want to share experiences about commuting from LI to Brooklyn?
Or about the housing market in general?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:03 am
Why is it so important that they stay in their Brooklyn schools?

nylon

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 7:24 am
Some kids do go from LI to Brooklyn. Not many. The Belt is extremely congested for much of the day if you are coming from the 5T. I really can't recommend this. if you must keep your kids in Brooklyn schools, I'd suggest looking in Queens. If you're set on the suburbs, your kids should go to school there. Years and years of commuting and not having local school friends will not make this pleasant for them when they can see their neighbors going to school 10 minutes away.

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Yes, we are thinking about Elizabeth.

Practically speaking (never mind what Google says), how long is the actual commute during rush hour?

My husband commuted from Brooklyn to Wayne NJ early in our marriage. It was hell. Early morning wasn't bad (he left around 5:30 and davened in NJ). Afternoon was like sitting in a parking lot. It easily took 1.5 hours often longer. Any slight hiccup (an accident, emergency repairs etc) caused HUGE delays.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 8:38 am
amother wrote:
Why is it so important that they stay in their Brooklyn schools?

1. Good match hashkafic ally
2. Kids happy and don't want to switch
3. Affordable tuition. No way can I pay $10k per child
4. One child has special needs and the school has been very welcoming and accommodating.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating