Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Wisconsin GOP limits bulk food purchases on food stamps.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:53 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Alcohol is not allowed on foodstamps.

Most people do not get excess in foodstamps that they can afford to waste it on a box of cereal for 6.50.

My friend used to feed her kids really cheap, nutritionless food to save up for splurge items. I don't think that's a good thing either.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:54 am
Simple1 wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but I once heard that social programs are designed to make it unpleasant or difficult for people to go on it because the government can't afford for everyone to be on it. I say this as someone who was once on food stamps. We're at the point of being the struggling middle class, kind of breaking even - but the aggravation they put you through makes it worth it to go off the programs.

I receive both a HUD voucher and SNAP and Lheap (once a year). None of the paperwork is difficult or complex. I'm sure if you are self employed and if your income varies on a monthly basis you would need to provide more documentation. But if you are self employed you should have the info necessary for documentation from your own books. If your salary varies based on commissions etc that info is on your pay stubs.

nylon

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:43 am
Simple1 wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but I once heard that social programs are designed to make it unpleasant or difficult for people to go on it because the government can't afford for everyone to be on it. I say this as someone who was once on food stamps. We're at the point of being the struggling middle class, kind of breaking even - but the aggravation they put you through makes it worth it to go off the programs.

False. SNAP makes up a minute percentage of the federal budget. ALL social safety net programs, including SNAP, Section 8, LIHEAP, SSI, and tax credits make up only 11% of the federal budget. SNAP represents approximately 2% of the federal budget (and 1/7 of Americans receives assistance!) and every $1 spent on SNAP results in $1.84 of benefit to the economy. The Congressional Budget Office calls SNAP one of the most cost effective programs in government.

Politicians make social programs difficult to access and unpleasant because they don't really believe in making them work properly. That would be admitting they are a good thing and that poverty is not a character flaw.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:59 am
nylon wrote:
Politicians make social programs difficult to access and unpleasant because they don't really believe in making them work properly. That would be admitting they are a good thing and that poverty is not a character flaw.

It's not been my experience. For me these programs are easy to access and the compliance reporting on behalf of the recipient is really minor. A great number of states permit online filing with back of documentation sent snail mail. Initially (around here) there is a 3 hr orientation for HUD at which time you receive your voucher and receive instructions on documentation, new case worker intros and Q&A. After that your interactions can be by phone or email or snail mail.

A SNAP apt. is maybe 20 minutes after you prequalify online and if you have your documentation.

Lheap (our utility subsidy) takes 20 minutes to apply in person, by apt only. Documentation is minimal for this 1x per season benefit.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 3:17 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Alcohol is not allowed on foodstamps.

Most people do not get excess in foodstamps that they can afford to waste it on a box of cereal for 6.50.

I know alcohol is not allowed. I was using it as a example of things government money should not be used for. I think luxury items should fall under that category as well.
And there were those who said that 649 is not enough to feed a family of 4. I explained how, using a little forethought and logic, it can be way too much that they could splurge at the end of the month. I use nowhere near that for my family and that includes kosher meat, chicken, dairy and lots of heathy food (whole grains, fruit, vegetables). Someone who can buy ANYTHING (because they don't keep kosher) can actually eat very well.
Especially as most on FS go to public school, and by being on FS qualify for FREE lunches (and many times breakfast too, plus I heard that some give out some extras for kids to take as afternoon snack ). Therefore that 649 spreads a lot farther...

marina

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:11 pm
there's just so many other things that go into deciding how people with lower socioeconomic households eat.

For example, there's time. If I'm a lower-middle class parent in a four person family with 650 in food stamps for the month, please note that I'm probably working a very long day at a minimum wage job. I might have a second job too. I might have a commute and basically a sum of 30-45 minutes to make supper and feed my family. So, no. I'm not going to start chopping a salad, and making shepherd's pie. I'm going to go get something quick and cheap and fast.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:21 pm
There was an article about a family on foodstamps that couldn't afford to live in a real apartment so they stayed in motels or whatever from time to time where all they had was a microwave. A lot has to do with the way of life and how the necessities differ from what some of us are used to. They likely have no car to bring home heavy things and therefore have to shop at the nearest convenience store for more money. I am also curious what percentage of SNAP recipients actually get the maximum amount. I don't think it's the majority, and many people do struggle with the amount given to them. (Also, if someone is on HUD, I don't think their rent is going to be added into the formula for how much they spend....but maybe I am wrong.)

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:28 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
There was an article about a family on foodstamps that couldn't afford to live in a real apartment so they stayed in motels or whatever from time to time where all they had was a microwave. A lot has to do with the way of life and how the necessities differ from what some of us are used to. They likely have no car to bring home heavy things and therefore have to shop at the nearest convenience store for more money. I am also curious what percentage of SNAP recipients actually get the maximum amount. I don't think it's the majority, and many people do struggle with the amount given to them. (Also, if someone is on HUD, I don't think their rent is going to be added into the formula for how much they spend....but maybe I am wrong.)

In my state the amt. of rent I actually pay is a factor in my expenses for SNAP qualifying, the voucher is not considered.

Note too that federal legislation has heavily reduced SNAP benefits. 3 years ago I was receiving $200 in SNAP, due to feds defunding of the program I'm down to a $16 benefit.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:37 pm
That makes sense. So if someone has cheaper rent because of HUD, they probably are unlikely to get maximum SNAP benefits assuming they are holding down some kind of job, even minimum wage...
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics