Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spending $200+ on Babies' and Girl's Hairbows? What?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 12:58 am
imorethanamother wrote:
The pearl clutching in this thread makes me laugh. Has anyone looked around and really looked at the things we are buying? All of you say, "$200 for hair bands! Crazy!"

But guess what: "$5000 for a Shaitel?! Crazy!"
"$20,000 for a bar mitzvah? Crazy!"
"Every kallah has to have a two karat diamond plus diamond earrings and bracelet and necklace and watch? Crazy!".....In a year or two, everyone will think $200 headbands are normal.

Absolutely no comparison. $5,000 sheitels are still considered on the extravagant side by most, I think the average the people I know pay is $2500, but considering how much wear a woman expects to get out of a sheitel they expect to like, and buy rather infrequently, its a bargain relative to a hairbow for a baby that CAN NOT look good after its used 10 times. Babies and kids stuff just doesnt wear well and last. Especially not hairbows.

And as mentioned earlier, in half an hour, many can make something very similar with a glue gun and some fabric, not so vacations. You cant make your own plane, hotel, etc.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
Absolutely no comparison. $5,000 sheitels are still considered on the extravagant side by most, I think the average the people I know pay is $2500, but considering how much wear a woman expects to get out of a sheitel they expect to like, and buy rather infrequently, its a bargain relative to a hairbow for a baby that CAN NOT look good after its used 10 times. Babies and kids stuff just doesnt wear well and last. Especially not hairbows.

And as mentioned earlier, in half an hour, many can make something very similar with a glue gun and some fabric, not so vacations. You cant make your own plane, hotel, etc.

I'm an old, so I remember when only the most custom, extravagant wigs cost $2500. A whole 16 years ago. About $1200 was average.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:18 am
imorethanamother wrote:
I'm an old, so I remember when only the most custom, extravagant wigs cost $2500. A whole 16 years ago. About $1200 was average.

Im sure they get lots of clothes for free as an advertisement, but I think even for Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, $200 on a bow is a lot and not sure Kate would pay it. I read somewhere Kate is a thrifty grocery shopper, inquiring about prices at the supermarket. Is she more limited in funds than the wealthiest people in Lakewood? Dont think so.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:26 am
amother wrote:
Im sure they get lots of clothes for free as an advertisement, but I think even for Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, $200 on a bow is a lot and not sure Kate would pay it. I read somewhere Kate is a thrifty grocery shopper, inquiring about prices at the supermarket. Is she more limited in funds than the wealthiest people in Lakewood? Dont think so.

Yes, she probably is more limited then the wealthiest people in Lakewood. She's not that rich.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:42 am
amother wrote:
Yes, she probably is more limited then the wealthiest people in Lakewood. She's not that rich.

How many are there like that in Lakewood?
And I wonder how many bows theyve sold there over $80.

Something tells me that people who dont have it, are spending.
The wealthiest dont need to prove their wealth to anyone.

Liebs

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 3:11 am
Maya wrote:
Um, wow. I think I'll put this down as the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

agree! Rolling Eyes

Raisin

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 4:12 am
imorethanamother wrote:
The pearl clutching in this thread makes me laugh. Has anyone looked around and really looked at the things we are buying? All of you say, "$200 for hair bands! Crazy!"

"Every kallah has to have a two karat diamond plus diamond earrings and bracelet and necklace and watch? Crazy!"

I don't live in a particularly crazy wealthy area, but I'm mystified at what women these days spend. Jewelry, clothes (don't get me started on the designer wearing blogging trend), parties, European vacations. My grandparents were very wealthy and they didn't spend like this. I don't really get it.

In a year or two, everyone will think $200 headbands are normal.

I think most people on here will agree spending $5000 on a sheital or $20000 on a barmitzva or excessive jewellery is crazy.

Me, I think it is insane that people think they "have" to spend upwards of $20 or $30 to make an updo for a little girl for a wedding.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:04 am
http://www.zulily.com/e/lil-mi......html

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 7:11 am
imorethanamother wrote:

This is precisely the problem! This is the reason for our outrage, and why we don't just say, " What's this got to do with me?!" This is what Fox has been trying to explain again and again.

happybeingamom

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 7:30 am
boysrus wrote:
wow, wow.
I have just read my way through this entire thread all the while shaking my head in wonder!
BH
now I have found another reason why it is okay that Hashem has given me the great gift of sons, and no daughters to date. I still dont need to worry about girls accessories, whether cheap or ridiculously expensive...

unbelievable!

Have you seen the yarmulka situation on little boys?

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 8:44 am
happybeingamom wrote:
Have you seen the yarmulka situation on little boys?

What is the yarmulka situation? I have 3 boys and haven't heard about this yet.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 9:28 am
imorethanamother wrote:

"Every kallah has to have a two karat diamond plus diamond earrings and bracelet and necklace and watch? Crazy!"

I don't live in a particularly crazy wealthy area, but I'm mystified at what women these days spend. Jewelry, clothes (don't get me started on the designer wearing blogging trend), parties, European vacations. My grandparents were very wealthy and they didn't spend like this. I don't really get it.

Be of good cheer.
Some of us haven't spent more than 200 for a sheitel. Or 2000 for a bar mitzvah (and maybe not even that much). Not all kallahs have such expectations, and they are so grateful for any gesture and the thought behind it.
So it's not gonna happen so fast.
Oh wait, this reminds me of a joke. (An old joke because it involves a pay phone.)
A man wakes up after 50 years and the first thing he does is call his stockbroker with a quarter he finds in his pocket. The stockbroker lets the man know he's worth 5 million dollars. The man is elated. Just then the operator says, 1 million dollars please.

happybeingamom

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 9:39 am
saw50st8 wrote:
What is the yarmulka situation? I have 3 boys and haven't heard about this yet.

All the different colors, fabric types, embroidery, other type of embellishments. The custom yarmulkas out there are unlimited.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 9:54 am
OP here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the more I think about this, the more strongly I feel that this might not be criminal, but anyone other than someone who has a value of a billion, spending more than $50 on a child's hair bow and even that is way overdone, is mentally ill, and needs

1 to prove that they can do whatever they please, or to communicate that they dont give a ____ or
2 badly needs that cash register ding a ling fix or
3 the shocked or impressed or wistful gaze of the salesperson/store owner or
4 the joy of bragging to their friends or
5 to improve the way they feel about themselves and their sitch in life bec things aint going well or
6 looking to fit in with a certain crowd or
7 wants to outdo and one-up the other big spenders who are in a similar boat, by doing that and

doesnt give a hoot how insane what theyre doing is because of how short that pleasure will last, and they'll be back needing to do it again very soon, somewhat like a drug addict, and how that money can be better spent on other things.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:02 am
To the amother above me. I know people who spend $200.00 on bows and can afford it. I know people who buy them, can afford, and never discuss how much they cost. I know people who do not buy them who can afford it. Your comment just shows how little you know about such people and their lives. Also the ratio of $200 to $200,000,000 is much less than the ratio of $15 to $150,000... If you think that it is acceptable for someone who makes $150,000.00 a year to buy a headband that costs $15.00 then you would also think that it is financially acceptable for someone who just makes $2,000,000 a year to buy a headband/bow for $200 so I don't know where your billionaire dribble comes in. It's not just about money... there are other behaviors/thoughts that come into the picture. I couldn't see myself spending $200 on a bow BTW, but I'm not sure if I think that everyone who does is trying to one up others, fit in, show off, get a high, etc. etc. Probably many are, but not everyone. You cannot speculate as to why someone would buy a $200 bow, but I can say that bows like that do not belong in a store in Lakewood, and the store that is selling them should be ashamed of themselves.

(deleted some stuff because I misunderstood the post above me)

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Thu, May 07 2015, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
http://www.zulily.com/e/lil-miss-sweet-pea-134933.html

These look nice enough! The braided suede headbands at 6.99 are good enough for me.

Now all I need is a baby to put it on.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:24 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
To the amother above me. I know people who spend $200.00 on bows and can afford it.

In your opinion, what kind of income makes buying a $200 bow acceptable? We might both agree on this. But even with a uniquely high income, I still think it should be kept private, and the label should be removed (some of them have the brand name written on the fabric, whoever buys that, it tells you something) and the buyer shouldnt need to brag.

Scrabble123 wrote:
Your comment just shows how little you know about such people and their lives. Also the ratio of $200 to $200,000,000

I havent seen one Lakewood name on the Forbes 400 list of wealthiest people in America. The 396th person on the list ONLY has a sad 1.75 billion. Nowhere near 200,000,000!

#396 Richard Yuengling Jr $1.75 B n/a 72 Pottsville, PA beer

Hahahahahaha.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes-4.....erall

Simple1

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:26 am
So they're really selling for $82, not $200 in Lakewood? Still crazy expensive - I thought I was crazy to spend $15 on each headband. Maybe it's a marketing ploy by Ladida to make the $25 headbands look cheap.

As far as dollar store headbands - they often don't have teeth, so it's more likely to not stay on right and to get lost.

And yes, there's probably also a Yarmulka situation - if you don't know about it, you're probably in a community where you don't need to get fancy headbands. At least with the headbands, the girls know that if they lose or break them, they're not getting a new one so fast. Not so with the yarmulkas.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
In your opinion, what kind of income makes buying a $200 bow acceptable? We might both agree on this. But even with a uniquely high income, I still think it should be kept private, and the label should be removed (some of them have the brand name written on the fabric, whoever buys that it tell you something) and the buyer shouldnt need to brag.

It's not just about income. I gave the ratios: a person with a yearly income of $150,000.00 buying a bow for $15.00 is the same as someone with a yearly income of just $2,000,000.00 buying a bow for $200.00. Still it's not really about income. I don't know if income "gives someone permission to buy something." It depends on very many other factors: obviously if someone makes $40,000 a year and is buying bows for $200 I would not consider them financial responsible individuals, but I cannot really judge their decision based solely on that purpose. There are so many other factors that go into a decision, so it's hard to "allow" and "disallow" something based solely on income. Secondly, why would someone leave a price tag on a bow? The first time I heard children discussing how much money they paid for things was in a frum environment (although I know that you can argue that either way - It depends on the area so I know that my experience is not the same experience everyone will have). Bragging is off putting and distasteful. Also, brand names in fabric? Do you think that I know what brand names make bows for $200 or even think about the price of children's clothes when I see it? I am 100% disinterested in how much money anyone spends on clothing or anything else for that matter. I guess if I'm looking to paint my room and know someone who has recently painted, I may ask them who they used, but I wouldn't even ask them how much they paid because it's rude. I'd just call the individual who they told me they used and ask for a quote. I have totally no desire to know or hear about how much people spend on items, and I'm not going start evaluating how much someone should or should not be spending on my own accord.

Runner18

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:03 am
From the bio of the founder of Amour Bows:

"Today when I go out with my 2 beautiful daughters, and the fashion statement they imprint on everyone, with their trendy, chic accessories, I just can’t help but say thank you and smile."

Listen, if that's her priority in her life-- that her children should imprint a fashion statement on people they encounter-- I can only try to respect that not be judgmental just because that's my not personal priority in life. I hope and daven that when people meet my children, the imprint my children leave is based on their character and warmth..of course I want my kids to look put together, but that's not what my makes my heart feel full.

I don't look at my child as a means to bolster MY image in other people's eyes. For those who do, dressing your kids up with items that are irrationally expensive is the price you pay to a feel better about yourself and how people perceive you.

What does bother me is that I do think that in general, most families I know do not have money trees growing in their backyard, but the pressure to be liked-- whether in person or on Facebook- has a way of pushing people to spend money they don't have purely for the sake of status.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics