Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me sort my wardrobe

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:28 pm
I have been collecting clothing for over 15 years. I don't have so much but my closet is very small and I have no where else to put my clothing, so I need to get rid of some things. The problem is last time I moved, I got rid of things I miss now.

So I have:
-things that have been too small for a long time but that look really nice and are in good condition;
-things I bought because the sales lady was very pushy but that never fitted me, that were generally either too small or too short, and that I barely or never wore, so in very good condition;
-things I wore over and over again, that are completely worn out but I still wear, even if they are on the tight side now because I recently gained more weight;
-hand-me-downs I never liked because they're not my style but I would occasionally wear for a change;
-things that I will likely never wear again, like an evening gown, but are maybe useful to have.

I am not fashion oriented, meaning most of my clothing is outdated, and I have a very limited budget for clothing. WWYD?

zaq

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 6:06 pm
amother wrote:

-things that have been too small for a long time but that look really nice and are in good condition;

Give away to a gmach and make someone less fortunate very happy. The clothes are not fulfilling their earthly tafkid hanging in the dark in your closet. They want to go out in the world! If they are only a little bit too small, consult a tailor to see if they can be altered to fit, but be aware that tailoring doesn't come cheap. You may be better off buying new. By which I mean new for you, as in thrift shop, not necessarily new from macy's.

-things I bought because the sales lady was very pushy but that never fitted me, that were generally either too small or too short, and that I barely or never wore, so in very good condition;

Give to a gmach. . If a shidduch isn't right from the outset, it never will be.

-things I wore over and over again, that are completely worn out but I still wear, even if they are on the tight side now because I recently gained more weight;

Replace. NOW. Troll the thrift shops. Altering doesn't pay here.

-hand-me-downs I never liked because they're not my style but I would occasionally wear for a change;
Consult a tailor. Minor changes in a collar, sleeve, or trim, or new buttons, or changing a silhouette as from A-line to tapered or blousy to fitted can change an "eh" into an "I like it!"

-things that I will likely never wear again, like an evening gown, but are maybe useful to have.
Keep one in a classic style and color. Unless you get honored a lot at fund-raising dinners, one should do you. Ditch the fuchsia frou-frou with marabou feathers or the gold lame--that kind of thing sticks in people's minds and you really can't wear it more than once on the same continent.

I am not fashion oriented, meaning most of my clothing is outdated, and I have a very limited budget for clothing. WWYD?

Troll the thrift shops. Learn to sew. Convert a too-short shirtdress to a blouse or tunic to wear over a longer skirt or a long coat to a jacket. Take apart items made of good fabric and make new garments out of them, like a skirt out of the bottom of a dress with a set-in waist. You could even combine garments. Take apart two too-small skirts of compatible color and fabric and make one gored skirt with alternating color panels. Tailoring is expensive, though, and may not be worth it. In which case:

Start building a new wardrobe, little by little. First get the basic pieces in no more than three compatible colors so that everything goes with everything. With two-three skirts, three-four blouses, one jacket and one sweater, you can mix them up and have a different outfit every day. Add some colorful scarves to add variety for not much money. You may already have some of these, in which case you're ahead of the game.

After you have the basics you can gradually add more pieces as you find them.

I also suggest holding a swap party with a bunch of friends. One woman's eewww is another woman's wow!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics