Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Preschool son and behavior issues

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:54 pm
Please forgive the length but I want to be comprehensive.

DS is 4 1/2. He is extremely smart KAH, verbal, warm and loving. He is in a play group of 18 kids with two teachers they are both older women one more warm than the other. He is the oldest in his class. The room is not tiny but not large either. They play out side every day that it is not cold or raining. He will iyh go to Nursey next year at the local elementary school.

His teacher has been unhappy with his behavior since the late fall. First we thought he was having a hard time adjusting to having a sibling but its been about six months and no change. A few of the issues, I see at home but plenty I don't. We are seeing a behavioral psych this week to get an eval done. His morah finally wrote out the issues and these are them:

1) Doesn't make eye contact
2) Constantly interrupts
3)Swings arms, backpack
4) Leaves seat
5) Touches things that don't belong to him
6) Uses words like hate and kill
7) Only plays well with his friend who used to live next door

Numbers 1,2,5 and 6 I have seen before. The rest, I am iffy about. I take him to the park and he seems to find children to play with. He rarely tells me someone doesn't let him play. Kids from his class seem happy to see him, at the grocery store, shul park etc. At one point he was having a hard time with personal space but when I see him with other children he stands an appropriate distance away now.

She thinks he needs a shadow for next year. If anything academically he is advanced. Socially, he is 4. What on this list should I be concerned about? I don't have my head in the sand but I don't want to overreact either.

DH thinks I should have pushed him ahead a month or two to be with kids turning 5 that he is more mature and cant relate to younger kids. I personally think he gets overwhelmed in a class of 20 but can function well in a small group.

He is my oldest and its hard for me to figure out what is age appropriate and what is concerning. Anyone who can shed some light on this subject would be helping me so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)