Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you pay in tuition?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 9:05 am
Ok so I live in Australia and I hear all the talk about tuition in America and how expensive it is. I am so curious- how much do you pay per child? What about if you have multiple children in the same school? All in different schos? Ages?
We pay $14,500 for our 6 yr old per year. Our 4 yr old we pay $4500. When he starts school next year I assume it will be about $20,000 for both of them.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:26 am
I had 4 kids in the local elementary school Yeshiva and I was paying $62,000/year. I now homeschool.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:32 am
24,000 for 2 kids in the local yeshiva preschool including all the fees and it goes up a couple thousand each for elementary. Cannot imagine what will happen when I have more kids in school.

amother
Red

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:33 am
sounds like its expensive by you also!

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:41 am
It really depends where you live and what type of school you send to. Our elementary school charges $7,500 plus another $2,600 in charges for lunch, security, transportation, annual dinner and registration. Bare bottoms you can get it down to $5,500 if there's a reason and you don't take added items like transportation and such.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:47 am
Where I live it's roughly $10k per kid, plus some fees (like dinner, which is shared among all of the siblings, and school lunch if you choose to have that). I have 4 kids B"H, so I have been counting on paying $40k per year for elementary school.

Maya

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:57 am
Right now, $4,750 for preschool, $7,200 for elementary school.

Next year in a new school, $9,000 for kindergarten, $14,400 for elementary. Plus all add ons such as lunch, registration, building fund, etc.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:15 am
It totally depends on the school, location, haskafa.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:16 am
Our tuition fees are similar to yours OP but we get a significant subsidy and pay less than half of one tuition for several children. We are very grateful for this but worry that it won't continue and we'll have to pull them out, especially as not all of our children go to school yet.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:20 am
I live in Brooklyn and will pay 9500 for 2 kids next year.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 11:33 am
We pay $14K per elementary aged child in the midwest. It's a ridiculous amt for what people earn around here.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:48 pm
In NYC Yeshiva/Bais Yaakov community: $5000 for preschool (ends at 2:30) $8000 K-8 plus a handful of fees (not terrible, a few hundred maybe)
However the cost of living here is outrageous, rent is prohibitive.
When we look to move outward to areas with lower rent, the tuition always seems to be significantly higher.
So I feel pretty condemned either way. Homeschooling is not an option because even before tuition I can't afford to quit my job, even if I did think I had the skills and patience for it.

The more modern schools here are a LOT more expensive and I don't know if they're as liberal with scholarships as the yeshivas. But they have much nicer facilities and more robust programs. Which I don't necessarily think automatically makes them better schools, all places have their ups and downs, but imagine if the really good Bais Yaakovs also had the advantage of improved facilities, equipment, extracurricular options, etc. But someone needs to foot the bill... and the parent bodies aren't.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 4:17 pm
I taught at a well known MO girls' high school. Most of the faculty had masters degrees in the subjects they taught. Quite a few had Ph.D's.
Obviously that translates into high level schooling, but it comes at a cost. The parents in that community were willing to pay for their daughters to have top teachers. (I don't want to say where it was, but they don't sell $200 headbands there.)

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
I taught at a well known MO girls' high school. Most of the faculty had masters degrees in the subjects they taught. Quite a few had Ph.D's.
Obviously that translates into high level schooling, but it comes at a cost. The parents in that community were willing to pay for their daughters to have top teachers. (I don't want to say where it was, but they don't sell $200 headbands there.)

I can imagine . My son went to YNJ
Fortunately he got a large scholarship
Great school. If I become wealthy I will give them a lot

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 6:31 pm
I guess being financially challenged has its perks - where I live, in an out of town US city, the local frum schools are pretty understanding about financial situations. I have 4 kids in school and pay just under $8000 in total for all of them this year - and I'll admit even that amount is a major struggle. I consider ourselves lucky!

staten islander

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 6:39 pm
30K this year ,42 K next year

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 6:59 pm
DC1 $1,800 per year (a well established school with large student body and generous alumni). DC2 $5,000 per year (more expensive because it's a new school and we're paying for buildings).

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 7:03 pm
I live in Flatbush and pay 7200 for 1 DD in elementary school, an about 1100 for 2 boys, one in N and one in K.

(I'd be interested in where previous posters live.)

ETA: oops correction, 11,000 for 2 boys (these prices are yearly)

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 9:34 pm
4 kids, 2 in elementary at about $8000 each.
2 in hs at about $11,000 each.
Total $38,000. NYC area.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
DC1 $1,800 per year (a well established school with large student body and generous alumni). DC2 $5,000 per year (more expensive because it's a new school and we're paying for buildings).

WHERE?!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics