Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Turkey breast in a net

iamamother

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 12:04 pm
anyone have a good recipe to make for shabbos?

Amarante

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:17 pm
I'm not sure how a net affects the breast.

Do you need cooking times because that depends on weight. The best way to cook turkey is with a meat thermometer since that enables you to know exactly when it is done.

You can just use the same kinds of spices you might use for chicken - garlic, lemon, paprika, salt, pepper.

Here is one that has a Moroccan flair. You can just use the spice blend and then adjust cooking time to the weight of your breasts. The couscous is very good if you want to make the whole dish.

Moroccan Turkey with Cranberry Couscous
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
Serving Size: 10

Summary:

Spice-rubbed turkey breast combines with a colorful pilaf-like side of couscous studded with orange-soaked cranberries.

Ingredients:

Turkey:
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 (1 1/4-pound) skinless, boneless turkey breast halves
Cooking spray

Couscous:

1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 garlic cloves, sliced
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup water
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 cups uncooked couscous
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/3 cup chopped peeled lemon sections

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°.

To prepare turkey, combine first 8 ingredients; rub over turkey. Place turkey on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; insert a meat thermometer into thickest portion of a breast. Bake at 400° for 55 minutes or until thermometer registers 180°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

To prepare couscous, bring orange juice to a boil in a small saucepan while turkey bakes. Stir in cranberries. Remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes. Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving juice.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced garlic; saute 1 minute. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in reserved juice, water, curry, 1 teaspoon salt, and broth; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in couscous; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.

Fluff couscous with a fork. Add cranberries, basil, cilantro, rind, and lemon sections, tossing gently to combine. Cut each turkey breast into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Serve turkey with couscous.

Nutritional Information:

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 339(7% from fat); FAT 2.8g (sat 0.5g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 33.8g; CHOLESTEROL 70mg; CALCIUM 49mg; SODIUM 548mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 42.7g

iamamother

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:23 pm
thanks.

in the stores they sell turkey thats rolled and placed in a net. I dont really know what the difference is... I usually make ones that are abt 2 1/2 - 3lbs... im finding that wtvr recipe I make it just taste so bland inside... and we dont eat the skin so when we take it off we r left with pretty bland boring turkey... I sometime just take it out of the net, take off the skin and basically take the whole thing apart.. then it tastes good but doesnt look too nice...

any ideas?

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 1:30 pm
Here's something I do with a white meat turkey rollada in a net that comes with chopped meat stuffing. I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good with a plain turkey breast:
Combine 2 Tbsp. of honey with about 1.5 Tbsp of onion soup mix. Add a bit of boiling water to dissolve the soup and make the mixture into a liquidy paste. Add some minced garlic cloves and wine (I've used both white and red) and pour over turkey roast. The liquid should be about 1/3 the way up the side of the roast. Cover and bake about 1.5 hours to 2 hours (depending on the size of the roast).
I season the roast well with paprika, granulated garlic and some olive oil before I pour the sauce over it.

iamamother

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:07 pm
that sounds great and easy but the chopped meat keeps it moist and flavorful inside.... mine is not stuffed so im looking for a recipe that the inside with actually have some flavor...
I wish the stores here would sell them stuffed! that sounds delicious!

Amarante

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:11 pm
Why don't you take it out of the net and then unroll it. Then you can put a paste of herbs with some olive oil and then reroll it it. I would use garlic and do you like basil? Salt and pepper.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 2:54 pm
I might not be understanding but if you can unroll it by taking it out of the net, you could stuff it. This is a recipe that has instructions that let you roll a whole turkey breast.

Caramelized Onion Stuffed Turkey Breast
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Good Housekeeping

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions
1 teaspoon sugar
12 ounces white or cremini mushrooms
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 and 1/2 c. coarse bread crumbs
8 medium sage leaves
1/4 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/3. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 boneless turkey breast
4 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 c. turkey or chicken broth

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange roasting rack in roasting pan.

In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium. Add onions; sprinkle with sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.

While onions cook, trim and chop mushrooms. Add mushrooms and wine to skillet. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer contents of skillet to large bowl; cool. Stir in bread crumbs, sage, and 1/4 cup parsley.

Place turkey on large cutting board, smooth side down. On left breast, cut along right side of tenderloin to separate from breast without cutting tenderloin off completely. Fold tenderloin back until flat but still attached to breast along left side. Repeat on right breast, cutting along left side of tenderloin and folding back. Cover surface of turkey with 2 large sheets plastic wrap. Using flat side of meat mallet or heavy rolling pin, pound turkey until about 3/4 inch thick all over. Discard plastic wrap.

Sprinkle turkey with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Spread stuffing in even layer on breast. Starting with short side, roll breast in jelly-roll fashion. Place seam side down. Using 16-inch pieces of kitchen string, tie roulade tightly at 2-inch intervals. Place roulade on rack in pan. Brush liberally with half of margarine. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour broth and 1 cup water into bottom of pan. Roast 11/2 to 2 hours or until turkey is cooked through (165 degrees F), basting with remaining margarine halfway through.

Remove from oven; transfer to large cutting board. Cover loosely with aluminum foil; let stand at least 10 minutes Remove and discard strings.
While roulade rests, strain pan juices into gravy separator. To serve, sprinkle all but 1 tablespoon remaining parsley onto roulade, patting to adhere. Slice roulade; transfer to serving platter. Garnish with sage leaves. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley. Serve with juices.

Mom23gs

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 3:57 pm
I make it all the time. There is a great recipe in The Koshe Pallette cookbook. Not home now, but I can post it when I get there is about an hour, if you can wait.

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 4:12 pm
Amarante wrote:
Why don't you take it out of the net and then unroll it. Then you can put a paste of herbs with some olive oil and then reroll it it. I would use garlic and do you like basil? Salt and pepper.

This reminds me of something I used to make. I used to buy a whole boned turkey breast, make a pesto-like paste with basil, garlic, ollive oil and pine nuts that I would stuff into little incisions - more like little tunnels actually - that I would cut in the meat. These tunnels conveyed moisture and flavor deep into the turkey breast which otherwise is quite bland and dries out easily. It also looked pretty when it was sliced. If I were making this recipe now I would combine the basil with some cilantro. I love how these two herbs compliment each other.

etky

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 4:37 pm
iamamother wrote:
that sounds great and easy but the chopped meat keeps it moist and flavorful inside.... mine is not stuffed so im looking for a recipe that the inside with actually have some flavor...
I wish the stores here would sell them stuffed! that sounds delicious!

It is delicious - and easy, because it comes already stuffed. I like to serve it on chagim because it's festive and is a nice alternative to meat and chicken.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 5:41 pm
iamamother wrote:
thanks.

in the stores they sell turkey thats rolled and placed in a net. I dont really know what the difference is... I usually make ones that are abt 2 1/2 - 3lbs... im finding that wtvr recipe I make it just taste so bland inside... and we dont eat the skin so when we take it off we r left with pretty bland boring turkey... I sometime just take it out of the net, take off the skin and basically take the whole thing apart.. then it tastes good but doesnt look too nice...

any ideas?
remove the net. smear it generously all around including under the skin with a good flavorful paste made of crushed garlic, olive oil, seasoning. place in Ziploc bag and marinate overnight. then place stuffing under the skin and bake with sauce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey