Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Which way do you organize your spices?
1  2  Next

imasinger

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 6:54 am
Alphabetically, or by flavor/type?

I always did alphabetically, but my grown stepdaughter who lives with us changed it a few years ago to by flavor/type.

I don't care, and am fine with her changes, but was curious about what others do, and whether it has anything to do with how inventive one is as a cook.

animeme

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:06 am
I have mine by type. One area for onion, garlic, etc. Then green herbs. Then cumin, coriander, curry, etc. Then cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. I find it easier because I'm thinking about the type of spice or herb I want, not the name.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:15 am
All on a shelf mixed except the ones I use often in the front and the others in the back.

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:15 am
I do it by usage. I use a lot of different spices. The ones I reach for the most I keep right on hand in a cabinet next to my fleish stove. The ones I reach for less are in a cabinet not as close.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 9:51 am
I keep them all on my windowsill over my sink. I rummage if I can't find something. I'd go nuts having it organized more than that.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 9:55 am
Same as yo'ma. They're all mixed up, with the ones I use most often in front and the ones I use least all the way in the back. I would love to have a lazy susan, or some kind of spice rack, but I have a tiny kitchen with very few cabinets, and the only one I have available for spices is too small for anything.

ven

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:04 am
shoved into the cabinet in no particular order

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:21 am
you're supposed to organize your spices?

j/k, I just have mine on two racks by the stove

Brownies

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:26 am
Alphabetically, on a spice rack.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 10:40 am
Alphabetically, in an on the door rack. Some of the oversized ones are on a shelf, along with extracts, van. sugar and baking powder. But it works for us and that's what counts.

seeker

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 11:00 am
Spice rack holder on cabinet door. 3 shelves. It's a little high so the bottom one is the easiest to reach and has the things I use ALL the time (onion, garlic, black pepper, some other favorites) second shelf has the one a I use often but not ALL the time (paprika, cumin, oregano, cinnamon...) top shelf has the ones used least often (cayenne, specific herbs...) and a couple more that don't fit are in the cabinet and used very rarely only for special recipes (nutmeg)

Sanguine

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 11:44 am
Just joining the discussion cause I think it's funny. (wait to hear how I organize). I have a large drawer next to my stove (3 drawers under a counter). So I keep my spices in that top drawer somewhat organized - Different containers without lids. One has the baking stuff, One has the crazy spicy Israeli spices that I can't stand but DS keeps buying and using, one has spices I own but barely use like majoram which my mother told me I need when I make a turkey, one has my 3 boxes of soup mix... And the biggest one has all the spices you use regularly - onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, onion flakes, black pepper... They're in the container they were bought in. They're all in one open container. I usually have the onion/garlic powders near each other. The oregano and parsley flakes are further back - just happens cause I use those less often. So One day I asked DD who was 11 then to clean the drawer for me (after awhile you have powders spilled all over), so DD found a new way to organize spices - BY COLOR!!! All the yellow covers were together. All the green covers were together... It looked very pretty. So every mother knows that if you want your children to learn to help in the kitchen you have to appreciate whatever they do however they do it. So that's how I organize my spices. By color or the container cover!

Notsobusy

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 12:02 pm
Thanks Pinkfridge and Seeker, I never thought of a door rack. It would be great, it will free up a badly needed shelf in the cabinet.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 2:32 pm
I have a small yet very efficient galley kitchen. There are four small drawers on the stove side and I managed to find small jars at my coop that fit. I purchase all of my spices in bulk and fill my jars from the bulk supplies. I write the name of the spice on top of the jar so there is no rummaging. My bulk spices are stored in 1qt mason jars that are in a cooler out in the outdoor closet where my freezer is. Items like curry leaves or green cardamom, fresh fenugreek, are stored in jars in the freezer. At the end of the growing season I hang my chillies, garlic and onions off the beams in my kitchen.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 3:21 pm
glutenless wrote:
Thanks Pinkfridge and Seeker, I never thought of a door rack. It would be great, it will free up a badly needed shelf in the cabinet.

It might bump your shelves. We shaved one down an inch or two.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 3:25 pm
imasinger wrote:
Alphabetically, or by flavor/type?

I always did alphabetically, but my grown stepdaughter who lives with us changed it a few years ago to by flavor/type.

I don't care, and am fine with her changes, but was curious about what others do, and whether it has anything to do with how inventive one is as a cook.

organize? ba ha ha1

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 3:36 pm
andrea levy wrote:
organize? ba ha ha1

Come on, I bet there's (at least, probably more than) one area of life that you're organized in. And I speak for myself but please don't assume that my life as a whole is alphabetized. I subscribe to the all those delightful dicta about the lovely discoveries of mess.

centurion

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 3:42 pm
on a tiered lazy suzan by category.

zaq

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 4:23 pm
Alphabetical, which is cut-and-dried (as are the spices), and all anyone needs to know is the alphabet and the name of the seasoning. Flavor/type/application are subjective. Is basil sweet or savory? Is cinnamon for baking or for chicken?

seeker

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 4:42 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
It might bump your shelves. We shaved one down an inch or two.

Mine is on the outside of the cabinet. That's where it fit, and it's working for me. Super easy to reach. I think theoretically you're supposed to store spices in the dark but my approach to these things is "whatever."

It never occurred to me to arrange ANYTHING in my life alphabetically. Now that I keep hearing it it's starting to make a funny kind of sense.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics