Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Jewish Prime Minister failed to materialise...

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 11:48 am
OK so the UK general election results are out.

* Tory did better than expected. Got 331 so 5 seats above single majority,
Not that bad vs Natanyahu.

* Labour lost out BIG to SNP.
Ed Miliband resigned so no Jewish (admittedly he claims he's atheist and married out) PM.

* Good news: George Galloway from (Dis)Respect lost his seat.
Ditto for Nigel Farrage, and he's resigned from UKIP leadership.
UKIP got only 1 seat.

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 3:08 pm
I am going into Shabbos totally relieved!!! David Cameron was a supporter of Israel during last summers war were as Miilaband was not. All the MPs who were against Israel or support the BDS movement have been kicked out!!!! Hashem has paid them back big time. I am upset though that Jim Murphy never won in Scotland he is a great guy and a huge supporter of Israel, last year he spoke at the rally in Manchester that we had in support of Israel.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 3:45 pm
I was watching live stream election results for awhile last night. As an American, the different accents and occasional results announced in Gaelic (that was Gaelic, right?) were great fun — like listening to characters from a Redwall book!

Question for anybody who understands British politics: How does the SNP differ from Labor?

Brownies

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 5:52 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I was watching live stream election results for awhile last night. As an American, the different accents and occasional results announced in Gaelic (that was Gaelic, right?) were great fun — like listening to characters from a Redwall book!

Question for anybody who understands British politics: How does the SNP differ from Labor?

Both SNP and Labour are left-wing parties and therefore they share similar priorities (although I would say SNP is more left-wing.) However, the SNP's whole raison d'être is to achieve an independent Scotland, so that Scotland would no longer be part of the United Kingdom. This is something that Labour (as well as the Conservatoves) doesn't support. There was a referendum about this last September and most Scots voted against it but not by a very big margin - something like 55%/45%. The fact that 99% of Scotland is now represented in the UK Parliament by SNP members of Parliament - who do not want to be part of the UK- will be interesting...

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 2:01 pm
Rubber Ducky, what you were referring to is probably Welsh announcement, (unless you're listening to very thick Scottish accent). Although Labour traditionally had strong support base in Scotland, SNP had an advantage vs Labour as the general trends seem to favour those outside of traditional Tories-Labour two-party model.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 3:58 pm
I think scotland won the battle but lost the war. Since the Conservatives will likely be a lot less friendly to the idea of an independent scotland then Labour would have. I'm sure every single labour voter in the UK are deeply resenting the SNP now.

I also think the Conservatives will find it a lot easier to slash benefits and clamp down on immigration even more without the liberal democrats holding them back. I'm sure people in the frum community who have large families are suffering from things like the child benefit cuts. And I've met several couples having big problems with immigration. .

Seraph

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:23 am
Brownies wrote:
Both SNP and Labour are left-wing parties and therefore they share similar priorities (although I would say SNP is more left-wing.) However, the SNP's whole raison d'être is to achieve an independent Scotland, so that Scotland would no longer be part of the United Kingdom. This is something that Labour (as well as the Conservatoves) doesn't support. There was a referendum about this last September and most Scots voted against it but not by a very big margin - something like 55%/45%. The fact that 99% of Scotland is now represented in the UK Parliament by SNP members of Parliament - who do not want to be part of the UK- will be interesting...
Sounds like Hanin Zoabi and the other anti Israel Arab members of Knesset in Israel.

chanie18

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:30 pm
y'know, I'm not a massive fan of Nicola Sturgeon, but Zoabi she ain't

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:41 pm
Actually I thought she spoke really well during the TV debates.

The latest--looks like UKIP is not accepting Nigel Farage's resignation so sounds like he's gonna stick around.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics