Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
I'm so embarrassed!
1  2  Next

amother
Plum

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 12:49 pm
My preschooler came home with a little Mothers Day project. Along with the little macaroni necklace, there was a note "I love my mommy because..." and then the teacher wrote in what the kid said. So he one said "because she puts on my videos". While I do sometime let him watch more videos than he should, we do plenty of other real activities together. I think. Am I letting him watch too much TV, that THIS is what he can come up with?? And what the teacher must think!! I'm so embarrassed!

Miri7

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 12:58 pm
These teachers hear all sorts of funny things from kids. The teachers know that the kids have funny filters as to what the parents do that the kid really appreciates. Don't be too embarrassed.

One day my child came home with a project that said "I love Aba because he lets me stay home from school and watch videos when I am not really sick." This was after my child had to stay home a few days because he had a fever but didn't really feel very sick. DH let him watch videos so DH could get work done from home.

seeker

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 1:45 pm
no, it doesn't mean you let him watch too much TV. Even if he saw only one video ever, that would make it THAT exciting to him that he'd think of it as something he's grateful for. All it means is that he likes when you do that. Most kids do.

I almost never give my kids videos but even I'm not feeling the least bit judgmental about something like this. Maybe if he'd said that's what you do for a living all day... lol. even then, I'd probably assume preschool view of the universe. They're skewed.

zaq

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 2:50 pm
I have no idea why you feel embarrassed. If he had said "because she buys my favorite cookies" would you be agonizing that maybe you give him too much junk food? What if he had said "because she smells like candy" would you be concerned that you wear too much perfume? He said what popped into his head at the moment. The kid is what--three? five? Nobody is expecting deep philosophical statements from him. What do you want him to say--because she makes sure my vaccinations are up to date and opened a mutual fund account for my education?

If you are from a community that forbids videos, I can see why you are embarrassed. But then he did not say which videos. did he? Maybe they are videos from Chofetz Chaim Society or exercise for children. "Video" is just a medium, like "Book" or "Magazine". Without specifying, they can be anything.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 7:09 pm
My son also came home with a card why he loves me and it's cus I buy him cars. He than elaborated that I once bought him a car (he has hundreds of cars). Kids say funny things.

imasinger

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 7:14 pm
If you had any clue what all the other kids' cards said, you might not be so embarrassed. Try chatting with the morah. I bet you'll get a good laugh, and feel much better.

Art Linkletter was famous for his "Kids say the Darndest Things." Look it up sometime. It's pretty funny.

groovy1224

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 7:23 pm
What would you expect him to say? Because she carried me for 9 months, gave birth to me, feeds me and clothes me? That's all way out of his line of vision.

If he's still thanking you for putting on videos when he's 19 years old, then you've got a problem.

Ilana Tamar

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 7:42 pm
Op, my preschool son once brought home a similar card that says he loves his Ima cuz she takes him for walks. The Morah actually called to tell me she was impressed. What Morah did not know was that I very hardly do this sort of thing and I had taken him by himself for 10 minutes when I am normally the sort of mom that lets the kids watch dvd's a lot.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 7:46 pm
My 5 year old came home with something that said, "I think my mommy is smart... because she doesn't hurt me".

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 7:54 pm
My five year old had to write what his mommy cooks for dinner and he wrote....... Cereal and milk! Now that was embarrassing! ( and untrue)

amother
Tan

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 8:02 pm
I think teachers of that age group know what they're dealing with, kids say the funniest things.

My 3 yo had a whole card about his mother,
He told his teachers I like cooking potatoes and my favourite food is onion Wink
amongst other funny things. At that age they often just say the first thing that pops into their head

SingALong

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 8:26 pm
I got a note home quoting all the kids, what their mommy's do at home. Most kids said their moms cook supper, do laundry, clean, shop etc. well apparently my 3 1/2 year old daughter seemed to think that all I did all day was eat chicken.

shanie5

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 8:44 pm
In kindergarden, they make a 'yearbook' for graduation. One question is "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Most kids say "tatty", "talmud chacham" or the like. One of my sons said "an Alien". Hmmm.... what doe sthat say about me?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:27 pm
My dd came home with a list of what exciting things all the children said they did over pesach. She said she went to a museum.

What I thought she MAY have considered worthy of mention, is having a new baby sister!

amother
Peach

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:54 pm
My son's teacher asked them if they ever have pizza at home? My son proudly proclaimed "yes, every night for supper".
Can't imagine what the teacher thought of me!

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:59 pm
Op I wanna calm u down. I was a kindergarten teacher, kids said all funny things about their parents. Once a mother told me something her kid said about me which wasn't true, so I told her ; lets make a deal, I'm not gonna believe everything ur kid says from home and u don't believe everything they say about me. Very Happy

amother
Blue

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 10:21 pm
I'm a teacher. I just did these questionnaires. Yes I got some really interesting answers, but the parents love them!
The only TMI was a kid telling me about his parents in the Jacuzzi together with his aunt and uncle.

Volunteer

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 3:09 am
Yeah, kids say the funniest things. Responding to a question about what they want to be when they grow up, one kid in my pre- k colleague' s class said "I want to be a policeman so I won't have to go to jail." All we did was laugh, no judgement.

Volunteer

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 3:10 am
Btw, anyone with more hilarious examples, keep' em coming.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 6:27 am
We just did a questionnaire as part of our mother's day present (3 year olds).
One of the questions was "how old is your mom?"
The highest number we got from anyone was 10. Tongue Out
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers